What's new

Replacing AC86U with AX86U - what about settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can try and see how it works for you. Be ready to reset and configure manually, if something is not right. You have a better chance with the same version Asuswrt-Merlin on both routers and AC86U -> AX86U. AX86U Pro is totally different hardware. Once you move to 388 firmware reset may be needed anyway. My advice is to start fresh. My experiment above proves the transfer working, but for basic configuration only and this specific hardware. I wouldn't trust it for VPN configurations and with larger hardware differences. A hidden issue may hit you when you need your router the most.

One should not have to do this it manually, when i get my AX86U or Pro version.
That's a lot of work dealing with two vpn configurations and then the actually router settings,port forwarding etc. I am really tempted transfer the settings
I had almost nothing to reconfigure. VPN and a lot of other stuff is stored in /JFFS. Just backup it and restore afterwards. I was even able to save most nvram values when I went from my AC68U to the AX86U.
And to all the others who warned me: I never restored any .CFG file. All I did was a nvram save/restore with the tool using the "router migration option" and /JFFS save/restore. Running smooth and without a single glitch since I moved. I agree that might not be THE option if there is a huge hardware bump or software version between the models.

Last edited:
All I did was a nvram save/restore with the tool

I wouldn't use this tool. It's old and unsupported. I believe it was compatible with 384 firmware.

You can try and see how it works for you. Be ready to reset and configure manually, if something is not right. You have a better chance with the same version Asuswrt-Merlin on both routers and AC86U -> AX86U. AX86U Pro is totally different hardware. Once you move to 388 firmware reset may be needed anyway. My advice is to start fresh. My experiment above proves the transfer working, but for basic configuration only and this specific hardware. I wouldn't trust it for VPN configurations and with larger hardware differences. A hidden issue may hit you when you need your router the most.
Just had a chat with Asus support it won't transfer the vpn settings, so might as well do it all manually from scratch. Just need to choose AX86U or pro version

Support said transfer is really for between same model only, when i mentioned it was done with outher asus models, he said they can't guarantee it would work and advised me not to do it

This is what I say as well - use at your own risk, not guaranteed. Just another universal BS on Don'tKnow website...

Setting up the router manually and minimally, using L&LD’s instructions, is indeed quite time consuming, but I find there are 2 very positive outcomes that make it all worthwhile:

1. The warm glow when it’s finished, knowing that it’s a job well done and no corrupted settings have been imported, waiting to catch you out 6 months later, when you’ve long since forgotten you did a poor job of setting up the router.

2. You get to familiarise yourself with every setting/option on every page as well as seeing what’s changed in the years since you last set up the router from scratch, as well as reminding yourself what some of those settings do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!