What's new

replacment for a T-mobile Branded ASUS AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brando

New Around Here
Been looking to replace a T-mobile Branded ASUS AC1900 for some time, been overwhelmed by what is available, someone finally pointed me towards SNB where i might get a much better feel on what to look at>
Im int he <=$200 range US.
1900 square foot, single level, stick build, Stucco sided home with 23 devices.
15 of these devices can only use the 2.4gHz band (wifi cameras), the rest are on 5gHz.
I get good coverage with the current AC1900 where I need it, including 80-100 feet out of the house for camera coverage but updates are not longer supported , i could flash it with new firmware but not worth the time IMO, honestly).
Id like to keep a single unit, should i consider anything except a TriBand? Any particular manufacturers to stay away from?
I have a Credit at Costco i could use up but i dont need to buy it there i am open to any merchant really.

They have these two at the moment.

TP-Link Archer AX3200 Wi-fi 6 Tri-Band MU-MIMO Router at 179.99

NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi 6 Router at 199.99

Anything coming up on Black Friday i should just wait for?

Thanks for any other insight as well.

Asus RT-AC86U. $183.17 at B&H Photo. If you do not need WIFI 6 this is a very good router, has been around a while, 64 BIT OS, supports mesh, strong 2.4 GHZ radio and can run Merlin firmware to provide several security features. Yes, there is discussion of failures but Asus stands behind their product.
Suggest you do research into the WIFI 6 routers. Word on the street is they give a weaker 2.4 GHZ radio to boost the 5 GHZ. performance. Sounds like you really do not need WIFI 6.
Edit: My house is similar to yours, router in the middle of the house and it does get outside to cover the 80X100 ft lot and beyond. Router also has dual band smartconnect which works well for me.

Last edited:
Asus RT-AC86U. $183.17 at B&H Photo. If you do not need WIFI 6 this is a very good router, has been around a while, 64 BIT OS, supports mesh, strong 2.4 GHZ radio and can run Merlin firmware to provide several security features. Yes, there is discussion of failures but Asus stands behind their product.
Suggest you do research into the WIFI 6 routers. Word on the street is they give a weaker 2.4 GHZ radio to boost the 5 GHZ. performance. Sounds like you really do not need WIFI 6.
Edit: My house is similar to yours, router in the middle of the house and it does get outside to cover the 80X100 ft lot and beyond. Router also has dual band smartconnect which works well for me.
TY
Certainly one ive seen mentioned and considered, im really not that familiar with WiFi 6 What would warrant having it anyway , just to future proof new wfif 6 compatible devices?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!