What's new

Request: Cleaning Download Master

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

@RMerlin

Dear Sir, is it possible to add action when pushing "Disable" for Download Master in USB-Tools tab?

It would be extremely nice to add removing all files in /Download2/config/torrents and Download2/config/resume/ folders. Thus all torrents will be cleaned.

It would be useful because the function "Clean all finished jobs" does not work properly in Download Master

The source code to Download Master is not included with the firmware, and Download Master is a separate package that's updated from Asus's servers.

Personally, I don't recommend using Download Master anyway, for various reasons. The router's hardware is simply not designed to running a torrent client.

The source code to Download Master is not included with the firmware, and Download Master is a separate package that's updated from Asus's servers.

Personally, I don't recommend using Download Master anyway, for various reasons. The router's hardware is simply not designed to running a torrent client.

Merlin, I have a question because of your statement. Is there a negative impact using download master? By that I mean, can it harm hardware? or just cause instability or what?

thanks!

I think the biggest problem is the CPU consumption such a process produce. While home routers are fairly powerful nowadays, they do have more to handle than they use to (game console, netflix, multiple computers, tablet, laptop, etc.). I guess it's all down to your usage, but personally I am a big fan of just having my router do routing ;)

Merlin, I have a question because of your statement. Is there a negative impact using download master? By that I mean, can it harm hardware? or just cause instability or what?

thanks!

It will affect performance and stability. Torrents require a fair amount of CPU, memory, and generate quite a bit of I/O to the disk as well. All of these combined make the router a poor choice for torrent duties.

Thanks for clarification guys, but let's say I leave it during non-working/gaming hours, torrents downloading won't affect my daily use the rest of the day because it's not active, right?
Just looking to take the more advantage of their features without having to fully remove them and just use it when no one is using it.

I'm using Transmission on the my RT-N66u with hardly any issues. Download Master on the other hand was a pain, not sure if the newer releases fixed anything with the issues (mainly the router becoming very unresponsive) while items were downloading.

As for cleaning up Torrents when I'm down with them I use the "Transmission easy client" from Anton add-in for Chrome which works great for both adding new Torrents and removing both the Torrent and Data once I'm done with it.

I'm using Transmission on the my RT-N66u with hardly any issues. Download Master on the other hand was a pain, not sure if the newer releases fixed anything with the issues (mainly the router becoming very unresponsive) while items were downloading.

As for cleaning up Torrents when I'm down with them I use the "Transmission easy client" from Anton add-in for Chrome which works great for both adding new Torrents and removing both the Torrent and Data once I'm done with it.

Yes, I've noticed that when torrents are been downloaded CPU goes up to 100% for long time.
For that reason I left it configured to work from 1AM to 8AM to avoid becoming unresponsive or any issue.
I think I'm going to remove it and keep downloading torrents the old way.

Try using transmission client through entware. There's a WIKI in here on how to setup entware and then install transmission. I also use a swap file which helps a great deal with the stability of my AC 66. I've had up to 15 torrents seeding with no huge ill effects even while running Netflix and other online apps. One thing I do is pause all seeding before downloading a new torrent just to make sure all is good and then get them all going again after the download has completed. On average I'm seeding about 7-10 torrents. Also the remove torrent and data option of the transmission client works perfectly using Firefox as an FYI. Good luck.

Last edited:
@hank81 I have never heard of this "transmission" although I am definitely interested. Care to reply with the main benefits it offers over download master?

Really looking forward to a reply from you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!