What's new

Request for finer control for VLAN Tagging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thexile

Regular Contributor
Hi Merlin

Under LAN -> IPTV tab, is it possible to have finer controls over the VLAN tagging?

I am residing in Singapore and I have to use ISP profile "Singtel-Others" (per the screenshot) as I am subscriber for Singnet/Singtel (ISP) fibre if not I won't be able to connect to the tightly control fibre modem (no internet connection).

http://imgur.com/EYvhD

I believe the settings for the profile as follow.

http://imgur.com/0qsG9

The problem with this preset profile is that LAN port 4 is tied to the ISP IPTV service. No devices other than the ISP IPTV hardware can conect to this port.

I would like to release this port for my own use since i do not subscribe to their IPTV service. However when I try to save/apply my manually changed settings (for the IPTV, VoIP parameters), this message will pop up.

http://imgur.com/XF07y

Any idea how to bypass this?

Attachments

• 0qsG9.png
    0qsG9.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 628
  • EYvhD.png
    EYvhD.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 556
  • XF07y.png
    XF07y.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
I remember there was a discussion about this a few months ago. I ended up leaving things as they were, since what people were asking at the time didn't make much sense.

I assume being able to set LAN4 to VLAN 0 should allow it to function as a normal port. Shouldn't be a problem to allow it, however I will have to rely on people to test it because I have no way of testing VLAN stuff here.

If you want to try it yourself, try this, over telnet:

cp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /tmp

mount -o bind /tmp/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp

You will then be able to edit the file /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp and save it. Search for places where it limits the range to (2,4094), and change it to (0,4094). Should be a few lines that look like this:

if(!validate_range(document.form.switch_wan0tagid, 2, 4094))

After that, try changing your tag id to 0. Be aware that on saving the router will probably reboot, losing the modified file and the mount bind you did before. You could use a USB disk instead of /tmp if you prefer, you would just have to redo the mount bind manually (or put it in a services-start user script, for example).

Pardon me for asking this. I'm lost at the second part of the guide; the edit of Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp.

I am using PuTTY to SSH into my router (since I disable telnet). I do not know how to edit the file after mounting it. (Windows user here...)

Pardon me for asking this. I'm lost at the second part of the guide; the edit of Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp.

I am using PuTTY to SSH into my router (since I disable telnet). I do not know how to edit the file after mounting it. (Windows user here...)

The firmware comes with the "vi" editor, which is pretty user un-friendly. I recommend you copy the file to a USB disk, and edit it there from Windows.

Someday I'll get back to integrating nano into the firmware...

How do I go about copy the file? Currently, I have no USB devices attached to my router.

Trying to use WinSCP? You will find an editor implemented, and besides you are able to copy all files to your PC and restore them back to the router...

http://winscp.net ...

Last edited:
Thank you! Why didn't I think of it earlier? haha.

Anyway, I can only login with SCP as the file protocol using the username "admin" and the password I set. However I am seeing this message.

Command 'groups'
failed with return code 127 and error message
-sh: groups: not found.

I am able to browse/copy the files/folders from here. However, I just cannot write to the router. Upon saving the file (edit from WinSCP) i'll receive the previous error and this:
scp: /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp: Read-only file system

Any more guidance? Thank you.

After that, try changing your tag id to 0. Be aware that on saving the router will probably reboot, losing the modified file and the mount bind you did before. You could use a USB disk instead of /tmp if you prefer, you would just have to redo the mount bind manually (or put it in a services-start user script, for example).

Thanks RMerlin, I got this work, any ideas how to put it to the startup scripts?
Create an entry in /rom/etc/services ?

Hi thexile, no need to complicate the matters, upon logon

#cp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /tmp
#cd /tmp
#vi Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp

// in a vi editor, search for //if(!validate_range(document.form.switch_wan0tagid, 2, 4094))
// 3 of them
//after editing, save the file by keying this :wq!

Load the page and change the VLAN to 0.

Thanks RMerlin, I got this work, any ideas how to put it to the startup scripts?
Create an entry in /rom/etc/services ?

User scripts are explained in the README.

Oops, thanks, I am currently using stock rom.

SHould have specified that, since you are posting in a custom firmware sub-forum. :)

There is no user-scripts on the stock FW.

SHould have specified that, since you are posting in a custom firmware sub-forum. :)

There is no user-scripts on the stock FW.

Some updates on this VLAN and mounting of /tmp/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp
I was able to change all port3 and port4 to VLAN 0 and device connected are working for this 2 ports with stock ROM .220

But after flashing .220.17, although I am able to change the VLAN to 0 for port 3 and port4, device connect to it seems unreachable, so render the 2 ports useless again. Any advice on this?

That is not recomended to use VLAN 0 and 1 in configs. Try to use 2 - 15.

octopus

Some updates on this VLAN and mounting of /tmp/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp
I was able to change all port3 and port4 to VLAN 0 and device connected are working for this 2 ports with stock ROM .220

But after flashing .220.17, although I am able to change the VLAN to 0 for port 3 and port4, device connect to it seems unreachable, so render the 2 ports useless again. Any advice on this?

You have to re-apply the same changes after every reboot.

Can't help you any further there, sorry. Not an expert on VLAN, none of our ISPs uses them.

Yup, aware of that and what i mean was able to apply vlan=0 but the lan port3 and 4 seems do not work.

VLAN ID 0 = "The null VLAN ID. Indicates that the tag header contains only user_priority information; no VLAN identifier is present in the frame. This VID value shall not be configured as a PVID, configured in any Filtering Database entry, or used in any Management operation." As such VLAN ID 0 should be not used!

VLAN ID 0 = "The null VLAN ID. Indicates that the tag header contains only user_priority information; no VLAN identifier is present in the frame. This VID value shall not be configured as a PVID, configured in any Filtering Database entry, or used in any Management operation." As such VLAN ID 0 should be not used!

Hi Octopus

Thanks for explaining, but I think my problem here is when I key in my VLAN for ISP = 1071, port3 and 4 will not be accessible. So the work around is to set Port3 and 4 to VLAN 0. This actually works previously which we mount the modified ASP page.

So beside not using VLAN0, what should we use if we need to use port3,4 usuable again?

Thanks!

Yup, aware of that and what i mean was able to apply vlan=0 but the lan port3 and 4 seems do not work.

yeh. same thing. this weekend i'll try going through the .asp page and see the code.

this is lock out of LAN port is really pet peeve.

Hi,

What is the status of your problem ? Which setup are you using for the special requirement for ISP ?

Are you able to check port 1 to 3 VLAN id are setup to ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!