What's new

Request for finer control for VLAN Tagging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using the so-call ISP Profile, 'Singtel-Others'. You can check the preset details in the "Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp" file.

Don't think of it as being for any particular ISP. Simply provide the option to configure each port as we please. Just display a table with ports 1-5 with checkboxes for "vLAN Number" and "Trunk Port".

Look at how it's done in DD-WRT. This is ideal. All it does is set the NVRAM variables according to the checkboxes.

Don't think of it as being for any particular ISP. Simply provide the option to configure each port as we please. Just display a table with ports 1-5 with checkboxes for "vLAN Number" and "Trunk Port".

Look at how it's done in DD-WRT. This is ideal. All it does is set the NVRAM variables according to the checkboxes.

It's not that simple. A webui is one thing. All the low-level stuff underneath is an entirely different story, and DD-WRT's code is totally different.

It's not that simple. A webui is one thing. All the low-level stuff underneath is an entirely different story, and DD-WRT's code is totally different.

AsusWRT looks like it has the same vLAN NVRAM variables as DD-WRT. I'm just guessing but it must be common for the broadcom switch drivers. If that's the case all that is required is to set the variables according to the checkboxes, commit and reboot. The IPTV section can be removed completely and replaced with a vLAN section.

What I'm saying is the entire vLAN configuration for all ports can be completely customised with 3 or 4 NVRAM variables.

Last edited:
AsusWRT looks like it has the same vLAN NVRAM variables as DD-WRT. I'm just guessing but it must be common for the broadcom switch drivers. If that's the case all that is required is to set the variables according to the checkboxes, commit and reboot. The IPTV section can be removed completely and replaced with a vLAN section.

What I'm saying is the entire vLAN configuration for all ports can be completely customised with 3 or 4 NVRAM variables.

it's definetely more than 3 or 4 variables

I just did some port bonding
to set up 2 vlan took approx 20 cmds
and then to complete the bonding process was about another 5 cmds

then you add in all the possible permutations, that a user might want
and it gets complicated really fast

now, I'd love to have a whole vlan section in the gui
but I'm just saying, it's not as easy as you make it sound

The nvram values are just stored values. Writing values to nvram does nothing to the switch itself, it's up to the firmware afterward to read those values, and do something with them. That's the part that might not be the same at all between both FW.

The IPTV section can be removed completely and replaced with a vLAN section.

Not a good Idea.

1) It makes setting up IPTV for Novice users near impossible
2) DD-WRT vlan GUI doesnt support Native and Tagged vlan on same interface, hence making setting up IPTV for some providers impossible via GUI.

BTW its more than just 3-4 variables.

For example to achieve this:
TV.PNG

In DD-WRT you need to go trough this via Command line as GUI doesnt support such setup at all.
(It will make all vlan`s tagged, hence you would loose your internet connectivity in this example)
So only option would be trough SSH and CLI:

Code:
nvram set vlan4ports="0t 4 8"
nvram set vlan1ports="3 2 1 8*"
nvram set port5vlans="1 2 4 16"
nvram set port4vlans="4"
nvram set port0vlans="2 4 16"
nvram set vlan4hwname=et0
nvram commit
reboot

PS: Commandline example is from RT-N16.
Anyway it should illustrate the situation.

Last edited:
There are no native/untagged ports in the RT-N16. All ports are part of some vLAN. IIRC by default the WAN port is vLAN 2 and the LAN ports are vLAN 1. That's why there's a restriction in the IPTV GUI to use VIDs > 2. The older broadcom devices used untagged ports.

PPPoE or whatever WAN configuration you specify is attempted applied on vLAN 2. You can use the other vLAN numbers for pretty much anything your want, including trunking a combination of vLANs.

For your example above you can use a VID of 0. It will be treated as untagged and also have the benefit of vLAN priority.

Last edited:
There are no native/untagged ports in the RT-N16. All ports are part of some vLAN. IIRC by default the WAN port is vLAN 2 and the LAN ports are vLAN 1. That's why there's a restriction in the IPTV GUI to use VIDs > 2. The older broadcom devices used untagged ports.

Yes all ports are part of some VLAN by default. But I wasnt talking about device internal vlan allocation. Instead I was talking trunking together Tagged & Untagged vlan on same interface. In my example native vlan + Vlan 4.

PPPoE or whatever WAN configuration you specify is attempted applied on vLAN 2. You can use the other vLAN numbers for pretty much anything your want, including trunking a combination of vLANs.

No you cannot use, whatever you want.
For example RT-N16 with DD-WRT highest vlan ID you can use is 15.

For your example above you can use a VID of 0. It will be treated as untagged and also have the benefit of vLAN priority.

In theory VID 0 should be treated as untagged and also AsusWRT respects that. Also if you dont use priority you could always leave it just empty, it would still work. Thats they beaty of current IPTV implementation.

I`m not against for finer vlan control via GUI in AsusWRT Merlin.
But in my opinion current IPTV configuration page should stay as its much easier for novice users to use than getting to understand what a vlan is, what are the broadcom limitations and how to use it.

Last edited:
The 15 VID limit is a problem with DD-WRT. You can use VID 0 for mixing tagged and untagged on a trunk port. All combinations are possible. I don't see what your problem is.

Last edited:
I don't see what your problem is.

I dont have a problem, but I dont quite understand why you are requesting Merlin to destroy perfectly working, easy to use solution? :rolleyes:

As advanced user, you could always use CLI for advanced vlan management, so...

Last edited:
Have same problems with VLANs:

My ISP gives me 3023 for internet over PPPoE and 552 with multicast traffic for IPTV. I just want to get working udpxy(better xupnpd) on my n66u. I don't need to forward multicast traffic into LAN or WLAN.

How I can make this possible?

Tried dd-wrt and tomato, but them unable to connect even to internet.
Tried to create "mount-to-jffs" patch and creating interfaces like this
Code:
vconfig add eth0 552
ifconfig vlan552 up
brctl addbr br1 
brctl addif br1 vlan552 
ifconfig br1 up 
ip r a 224.0.0.0/4 dev br1
But unsuccessful, result only is I can use LAN Port 4 for my local network as 1-3.

Yup, aware of that and what i mean was able to apply vlan=0 but the lan port3 and 4 seems do not work.

Sorry to add nothing useful to the conversation, but I got the same problem. I use Bell Fibe FTTH, so I put in VLAN=35 for the WAN port. By doing this, it makes LAN 3 and 4 not work at all.

If I change LAN 3 and 4 to VLAN=1 or something, they should work like the other two? Not at home to try it now. I will tonight. Doesn't seem risky at all to me.

Sorry to add nothing useful to the conversation, but I got the same problem. I use Bell Fibe FTTH, so I put in VLAN=35 for the WAN port. By doing this, it makes LAN 3 and 4 not work at all.

If I change LAN 3 and 4 to VLAN=1 or something, they should work like the other two? Not at home to try it now. I will tonight. Doesn't seem risky at all to me.
I've made monkeypatch in Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp:
Added new blocks for provider:
Code:
else if(document.form.switch_wantag.value == "rostelecom") {
document.form.switch_stb_x.value = "0";
document.form.switch_wan0tagid.value = "3023";
document.form.switch_wan0prio.value = "0";
document.form.switch_wan1tagid.value = "";
document.form.switch_wan1prio.value = "552";
document.form.switch_wan2tagid.value = "";
document.form.switch_wan2prio.value = "0";
}
Code:
else if(isp == "rostelecom"){
$("wan_stb_x").style.display = "none";
$("wan_iptv_x").style.display = "none";
$("wan_voip_x").style.display = "none";
$("wan_internet_x").style.display = "none";
$("wan_iptv_port4_x").style.display = "none";
$("wan_voip_port3_x").style.display = "none";
document.form.switch_wantag.value = "rostelecom";
document.form.switch_stb_x.value = "0";
}
Code:
option value="rostelecom" <% nvram_match( "switch_wantag", "rostelecom", "selected"); %>>Rostelecom</option>

And then saved it on jffs and mounting in post-mount script by
Code:
mount -o bind /jffs/scripts/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp

See attached file, u need to change VLANs for your ISP.
After mounting modified file you need just select your ISP in IPTV tab, so you'll have internet but 3-4 ports will be part of your LAN.

Attachments

• Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 166
As for above:

Sorry, I have no idea how to do any of that. Wouldn't even know where to begin.

As per my own testing, assigning any number to LAN3 or 4 does nothing. The router wants you to assign a VLAN higher than 2, so 0 won't cut it.

I don't know why this is so complicated. Why can't LAN 3 and 4 just work like 1 and 2? What VLAN are they on so I can just input that value in the boxes?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!