What's new

REQUESTING HELP PLEASE: Use of uQMI Protocol on ASUSWRT-MERLIN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Haha... exactly the packaginges I would have needed to. I had tried the one prior, but had yet to try this one. I will give this a whirl in the next few days to compare it to LEDE. Gotta head out of state this weekend.

Haha, I know what I'll call it.. Neither a hotspot, nor a modem... it's both. Its a "portable internet box."

It's a DIY MiFi - I'm thinking about making one more spin to add some additional WiFi and USB ethernet drivers for the Pi3 build...

Anyways - fun project, and solves a problem - and that's a good thing ;)

Yes! A DIY wireless hotspot; which works on all carriers, and on all LTE bands across the globe. Just insert a SIM, set the correct APN through OpenWRT, and go. Need to figure out how to disable DHCP on LAN, yet still enable it for WLAN. That way it can be a plug and play wired ethernet modem with a static address, yet still serve up the wifi hotspot functionality with it's own DHCP for wireless clients.

But that comes later... Lots of bug troubleshooting to do yet. Was hoping that adjusting the MTU on wan network to 1492 (or lower) would address the 60kbs/s cap network-wide issue, but that isn't working. I don't think its because of the MC7455 operating in MBIM mode either... As it works fine as MBIM when plugged directly in to the Windows 10 PC (just runs about a megabit or so slower.)

The only explanation is that the T-MOB tower must somehow be able to identify network clients on my side, and classifies them as "tethered" connections to their "registered" device. Hmmm...

Still going to make this work like a polished product. Just needs more debugging.

I have a 7455 already just waiting for the usb adapter/enclosure to come from china. I am going to be going down the asuswrt route as I don't want to add an extra device when it's not necessary. I think that asuswrt should support this modem looks like all the modules are there already, will update when the enclosure comes in. I also have some linux knowledge so that should help in getting things going.

What antenna recommendations do you have for T-mobile?
I'm not in a super remote area so I was looking at a panorama WMMG-7-27-5SP seems like a decent mimo antenna.

Well after looking into all the details, the asus-wrt route is a no go since the kernel is old and there is no source for the broadcom drivers which is why when using openwrt or lede you lose wireless. QMI support is only in newer linux kernel versions. Asuswrt does have mbim drivers but that is different than qmi another thing is that you have to switch the device into qmi mode by default it uses mbim. So now I am trying to decide what to do but thinking of building a x86 based router instead raspberry pi hardware is too limited and doesn't allow the full potential of the 7455.

All this is way over my head, but here's instructions from a guy who successfully paired a MC7455 with a Linksys WRT1900ACS. Hope it helps!
http://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24

This article is using mbim not qmi

Yes! A DIY wireless hotspot; which works on all carriers, and on all LTE bands across the globe. Just insert a SIM, set the correct APN through OpenWRT, and go. Need to figure out how to disable DHCP on LAN, yet still enable it for WLAN. That way it can be a plug and play wired ethernet modem with a static address, yet still serve up the wifi hotspot functionality with it's own DHCP for wireless clients.

But that comes later... Lots of bug troubleshooting to do yet. Was hoping that adjusting the MTU on wan network to 1492 (or lower) would address the 60kbs/s cap network-wide issue, but that isn't working. I don't think its because of the MC7455 operating in MBIM mode either... As it works fine as MBIM when plugged directly in to the Windows 10 PC (just runs about a megabit or so slower.)

The only explanation is that the T-MOB tower must somehow be able to identify network clients on my side, and classifies them as "tethered" connections to their "registered" device. Hmmm...

Still going to make this work like a polished product. Just needs more debugging.

Joe, where did this end? Currently trying to do the same thing with asuswrt-merlin and a Sierra MC7455. This thread just ended here.