What's new

Restart DHCP without reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

werkstrom

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is there a way to restart the DHCP server without rebooting the router? Troubleshooting THIS issue with DHCP not responding and want to eliminate or confirm the DHCP service.

/Henrik

Code:
killall dnsmasq 
rm /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases 
service restart_dnsmasq

I suppose you could also enact a restart by changing a DNS setting on the LAN or WAN page or some DHCP parameter like lease time.

The easiest way is to install scMerlin script. It will facilitate easy restart of major services including the DHCP.
I second this recommendation. Besides restarting DHCP, you can restart many of the services. Both from the WebUI and (my typical usage) from the CLI.
Forget to log out of the WebUI on one computer in your house? No problem, ssh in and restart httpd.
Make a change to ntp or chrony.conf? - a quick scmerlin and restart timeserver. For the life of me I can never remember the correct "service restart" commands.

Last, I can't explain in detail, but the Busybox "reboot" command is IMHO, not a good way to correctly reboot the router. "service reboot" must be doing some other magic. Again, scmerlin takes care of this ;-)

I second this recommendation. Besides restarting DHCP, you can restart many of the services. Both from the WebUI and (my typical usage) from the CLI.
Forget to log out of the WebUI on one computer in your house? No problem, ssh in and restart httpd.
Make a change to ntp or chrony.conf? - a quick scmerlin and restart timeserver. For the life of me I can never remember the correct "service restart" commands.

Last, I can't explain in detail, but the Busybox "reboot" command is IMHO, not a good way to correctly reboot the router. "service reboot" must be doing some other magic. Again, scmerlin takes care of this ;-)
service reboot is not available in scmerlin. Instead there is rr in amtm. Indee the service reboot command is doing the trick.

service reboot is not available in scmerlin. Instead there is rr in amtm...
There's a "Reboot router" menu selection in the scMerlin CLI that calls "service reboot" as well.

Here's a screenshot showing this "Reboot router" option:

scMerlin_CLI_RebootRouterOption.jpg

Thank you.
I did not search in the CLI because normally I use the WebIf panel (user3.asp).
It is a pity not to have it in the webif... at least I have not found it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!