What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, so the issue lies in latest rt-ax88u Beta 5787.
Can add it fine using the 5756 beta.
Solution is add it using 5756 then upgrade rt-ax88u to 5787

Can I please have the link for Beta 5787 for the RT-AX88u.

Running my GT-AX11000 on the new beta and have to say everything is going well so far.

This router is buggy as hell.

today, my wifi has disconnected twice. And my wired in ethernet speed went from 200mbps, to 25-35mpbs, while my wifi devices are going around 200mps.

I had solved the issue with my wired ethernet a few days ago, by just moving ethernet ports on the router itself. not a happy camper so far.

I now have 3 days solid Aimesh continuously running with two ax11000 without any reboot.

I have following set up to achieve this.

1. Ethernet backhaul with Ethernet mode selected for node.
2. Disabled airtime fairness, universal beamfoaming, MU-MIMO.
3. QoS on with Mediastreaming mode

No single drop out of Mesh node since the setup. Wireless Speaker devices kept connected without dropout which I had trouble kept connected on Orbi or default setting AiMesh.

#1 for sure helped avoid node going offline within minutes to hours. #3 stabilized connection without random loss of wifi connection. Not 100% sure if #2 specifically helped anything as I still had issue after those change until I made the third change. So I might turn back on one by one over the weekend and see if any of them did anything.

Great wifi internet speed with 500-600 Mbps download with MacBook Pro, close to 500 Mbps with iPad mini 4 near by router. Most of house I get over 300, worst area 200.

Cons

- loss of second 5G band even with Ethernet backhaul mode.
- VPN fusion does not work with some services.
- No access to node e.g. the node is kept at red light.
- devices appear disconnect and reconnect frequently on network list but in reality they are still connected.

Last edited:
Does the WiFi site survey and channel statistics etc work for anyone? I am on the 5252 firmware and I just get empty charts!

Will do, I am moving from a GT-AC5300 so it should be very close.
How is your AX11000 doing comparing to your AC5300?

I bought a GT-AC5300 earlier this month and realized that there was newer model for wifi 6 came out so that I also bought the GT-AX11000. (haven't looked into buying a router for years, my old netgear nighthalk worked perfect for me in my apartment until I recently moved to a new townhome)

I found that GT-AC5300 works much better than the current AX11000 in terms of speed test I was doing on speedtest.net

I have comcast 400/10 service, and I could draw above 450mbps on wifi with AC5300 consistently, but only less than 380mbps from AX11000. Of course, all my clients are AC. And I had tried enable and disable AX mode and play with the 160Mhz, nothing really helped on makingAX11000 matching what my AC5300's performance.

Defective unit or current firmware issue? Tried the beta one, about the same.

BTW, Netgear CM1100 is a beast and I got it on a deal from costco.

2. Disabled airtime fairness, universal beamfoaming, MU-MIMO.
Not sure disabling MU-MIMO is a good idea, isn't that the reason we are buying these beasts?

- loss of second 5G band even with Ethernet backhaul mode.

I think my second 5g band still works, it is still visiable and my devices can connect to it fine. But the UI would say it is dedicated for backhaul... Is that a bug or it is really not working?

How is your AX11000 doing comparing to your AC5300?

I bought a GT-AC5300 earlier this month and realized that there was newer model for wifi 6 came out so that I also bought the GT-AX11000. (haven't looked into buying a router for years, my old netgear nighthalk worked perfect for me in my apartment until I recently moved to a new townhome)

I found that GT-AC5300 works much better than the current AX11000 in terms of speed test I was doing on speedtest.net

I have comcast 400/10 service, and I could draw above 450mbps on wifi with AC5300 consistently, but only less than 380mbps from AX11000. Of course, all my clients are AC. And I had tried enable and disable AX mode and play with the 160Mhz, nothing really helped on makingAX11000 matching what my AC5300's performance.

Defective unit or current firmware issue? Tried the beta one, about the same.

BTW, Netgear CM1100 is a beast and I got it on a deal from costco.

Did you forget and reconnect to the newer Wi-Fi on your devices? I do it whenever I change my AP, and it helps to get the full speed of the newer AP. Many people will setup the new AP as the old one, same SSID and password, for painless upgrade and minimise the steps for exchanging AP, but this is actually a bad habit

Hi all,

So I’ve been having some little issues with the 11000ax. I previously had a ac5300 and the ac68 setup with AiMesh, but decided to drop the 68 and use the 5300 as the node. I have the routers connected through Ethernet and it’s still showing that the 2nd 5ghz frequency to be used as the backhaul. I know that others have had the same issue, as I’ve read the other thread.

I’ve noticed that if I make small changes to the 11000ax, after a few times it no longer allows me to connect to it wireless. It tells me that there’s no internet and my iPad can’t connect, actually no one can connect. I have a second router connected to the ASUS through its wan port so it’s where all my smart devices sit, so it has its own dhcp pool. Wireless internet works fine on here, but no matter what I do I can’t connect wireless to the ASUS. My only resolve is to reboot the router and it works until I start making changes again. Did not have this issue with the ac5300.

Also, I disabled my 2.4ghz frequency on the ASUS and wherever I go, I show the 2.4ghz has been disabled, but for some reason some devices connect to the 2.4ghz. So what I did was I changed the 2.4ghz to a different name and load and behold it shows that it’s active, even though the ASUS is telling me it’s been disabled. In the meantime I just changed the SSID to something else and hid it.

Last edited:
Sooo, another go around with the buggy routers corporation. Lol. You guys must be crazy. After the fiasco of the GT5300 I’m surprised. I plan on giving ASUS routers a year or more before taking them seriously. They never have worked to spec. Never. Even after a year they remain buggy. Has @Merlin weighed in on this one? Will he support it? Good luck with it. I will be watching to see how it unfolds, but not holding out much hope on the software.

Sooo, another go around with the buggy routers corporation. Lol. You guys must be crazy. After the fiasco of the GT5300 I’m surprised. I plan on giving ASUS routers a year or more before taking them seriously. They never have worked to spec. Never. Even after a year they remain buggy. Has @Merlin weighed in on this one? Will he support it? Good luck with it. I will be watching to see how it unfolds, but not holding out much hope on the software.

Merlin will not be providing support for this product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you forget and reconnect to the newer Wi-Fi on your devices? I do it whenever I change my AP, and it helps to get the full speed of the newer AP. Many people will setup the new AP as the old one, same SSID and password, for painless upgrade and minimise the steps for exchanging AP, but this is actually a bad habit
I tried after I saw your response, nope, no luck, the wifi speed is still slower than the GT-AC5300. I think maybe my unit is having some flaky hardware?

And when I upgraded from my netgear nighthawk to GT-AC5300, I carried over the SSID since all my devices knew the old SSID, and that did not cause any problem, the speed was matching to ethernet speed (~470mbps) when I was standing close to AC5300. But with AX11000, I am not even getting close, I am only getting ~380mbps max.

Last edited:
And when I upgraded from my netgear nighthawk to GT-AC5300, I carried over the SSID since all my devices knew the old SSID, and that did not cause any problem, the speed was matching to ethernet speed (~470mbps) when I was standing close to AC5300. But with AX11000, I am not even getting close, I am only getting ~380mbps max.

The first thing I would do is use new SSID's (you can use the same password) with no special characters included in either the passwords or the SSID. I am fairly certain that the microcode for the drivers has changed drastically since you had the Nighthawk. ;)

When moving to different hardware it is recommended to 'sanitize' the network for full performance. Just because you were lucky with the GT-AC5300 doesn't mean you should expect this experience with every other router upgrade too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!