What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The first thing I would do is use new SSID's (you can use the same password) with no special characters included in either the passwords or the SSID. I am fairly certain that the microcode for the drivers has changed drastically since you had the Nighthawk. ;)

When moving to different hardware it is recommended to 'sanitize' the network for full performance. Just because you were lucky with the GT-AC5300 doesn't mean you should expect this experience with every other router upgrade too.

I tried "sanitize" the network for performance testings, here are what I did with AX11000:

1. Restored AX11000 to factory default and setup network with new SSID "Test1", "Test1-5G-1" and "Test1-5G-2", I never had these SSIDs before so none of my devices will connect unless for my testing device.
2. Disabled HE frame support and did not enable 160 mhz channels since my testing device (iPad pro 11 inch) does not support those.
3. Sat down right next to AX11000, minimize interference.
4. Connected my iPad to 2.4 Ghz band "Test1", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)" (I live in this area) .
5. Connected my iPad to 5 Ghz band "Test1-5G-1", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)" .
6. Connected my iPad to 5 Ghz band "Test1-5G-2", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)" .
reason for running 2 5G bands separately is because they operation on different set of channels.

My results were:

(I have comcast 400 down / 10 up)

2.4G:
Down: 96.0 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 3.1 ms
Down: 96.5 mbps Up: 11.7 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.5 ms
Down: 96.5 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 4.2 ms
Down: 95.7 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 4.9 ms
Down: 93.7 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 2.4 ms
Down: 95.9 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.7 ms

5G-1:
Down: 275 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 0.85 ms
Down: 295 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.9 ms
Down: 291 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 3.8 ms
Down: 260 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.4 ms
Down: 310 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 0.87 ms
Down: 302 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.7 ms

5G-2:
Down: 431 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 0.55 ms
Down: 375 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.4 ms
Down: 252 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.8 ms
Down: 409 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 2.1 ms
Down: 440 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.1 ms
Down: 411 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 0.65 ms

Here are what I did with GT-AC5300:
1. Restored AC5300 to factory default and setup network with new SSID "Test2", "Test2-5G-1" and "Test2-5G-2", I never had these SSID before as well.
2. Sat down right next to GT-AC5300, minimize interference.
3. Connected my iPad to 2.4 Ghz band "Test2", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)".
4. Connected my iPad to 5 Ghz band "Test2-5G-1", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)" .
5. Connected my iPad to 5 Ghz band "Test2-5G-2", ran 6 set of speed tests using the speedtest.net app. Server "Comcast (San Francisco)" .

My results were:

2.4G:
Down: 103 mbps Up: 11.6 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 4.3 ms
Down: 111 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 9.1 ms
Down: 107 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 5.9 ms
Down: 105 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.9 ms
Down: 106 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.7 ms
Down: 113 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.1 ms

5G-1:
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.8 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 0.95 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.9 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 11.8 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 0.69 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 1.6 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 2.6 ms

5G-2:
Down: 477 mbps Up: 11.9 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.5 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.7 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 2.5 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.0 mbps Ping: 10 ms Jitter: 0.98 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 1.6 ms
Down: 477 mbps Up: 12.1 mbps Ping: 9 ms Jitter: 4.1 ms

(Interesting to see all 5g tests reached to 476.x mbps towards the end of the speedtest run and got rounded up to 477)

My ethernet speed tests are about ~470 down for both devices, and all my test data are showing that I am getting about ~20% "over provisioning" from comcast like other users mentioned in this forum. But for AX11000, I am not getting that kind of speed over wireless.

I know my tests are not the most scientific kind, but it mimicked the regular usage scenarios for a regular home user of the routers. I believe most of us are having AC devices and some N devices (e.g. smart home devices)

As you can see, for my 802.11 AC devices, the new AX11000 is not doing any better than the GT-AC530. And GT-AC5300 outperformed AX11000 in every test. My results were totally different from online reviews, which claim there are performance gain for 2.4G (N) and 5G(AC).

Any ideas why? I have gone through two identical AX11000s (I originally thought my first one was defective so I ordered replacement), they are all about the same.

A quick note; if you were doing these tests 'right next to the router' you need to modify your tests.

That is not a real world test. It takes physical distance for the radio waves to be properly formed.

A quick note; if you were doing these tests 'right next to the router' you need to modify your tests.
Can you explain why?

That is not a real world test.
I usually put my router right next to my gaming rig and my workstation like a lot of users do, why that is not a real world test?

It takes physical distance for the radio waves to be properly formed.
Isn't signal strength getting weaker as soon as the distance increases? I believe radio waves are properly formed as soon as they come out of the transmitter.
Some professional tests are even done in an enclosed chamber:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...ifi6-peek-asus-rt-ax88u-netgear-rax80?start=1

I don't have those equipments to play with and like I said "I know my tests are not the most scientific kind". I was just trying to prove that in a variable controlled experiment AC5300 is outperforming the AX11000. I even put the router and the ipad at almost exact distance and the orientation of the routers were the same. One variable I could control but I chose not to is to set all routers operated at a fixed channel because in my real world use case I would set channel to Auto so to let router intelligently change channels if it detects congestion in the air. However, I was lucky that during my test, 2.4g and 5g-1 band all landed on the same channels for both routers.

The slower performance happened to two of AX11000 units, I think it proves a point.

I don't fall for the SSID naming theory since routers they don't know each other and I don't think they would pick up any "state" from my devices that could affect their performance. The SSID names should not affect router's network operation at all, and I did reset my network settings on my devices but I believed what it did was to flush out some cached metadata of the previously joined network.

Last edited:
I get similar speeds from my ac5300 and ax11000. If anything my ax11000 gave me the highest throughput ever on my iPad 11, hitting 700mbps on the 5ghz channel.

Doesn’t mean I like the router so far.

Not sure disabling MU-MIMO is a good idea, isn't that the reason we are buying these beasts?

I think my second 5g band still works, it is still visiable and my devices can connect to it fine. But the UI would say it is dedicated for backhaul... Is that a bug or it is really not working?

I turned MU MIMO back on and network becomes intermittent disconnect. I don’t know if speed makes difference but I need stable wifi. I still get over 300 MBps most of house on my iPad mini 4 and closer to router more like 500 which is good enough for me.

Yes second 5g is visible or can be made it to visible and connectable but not part of smart connect. Also, I can only connect to main router for that band. Again I’m using in smart connect mode.

I get similar speeds from my ac5300 and ax11000. If anything my ax11000 gave me the highest throughput ever on my iPad 11, hitting 700mbps on the 5ghz channel.

On the contrary, I really like the router but don’t like its AC performance for now ;P

I assume you are having gigabits internet service. In that case, AX would definitely work better since it has higher bandwidth channels + DFS channels and higher rate limit compare to AC5300. However, 700mbps out of 1 gbps sounds like there is still room to push for better performance, but a normal user would not need that kind of performance anyway :)

I downloaded the source code of asuswrt today and took a quick look at the code, tweaking the firmware does not look like an easy task.... I should report my findings to Asus and let them fix their bugs and optimize the firmware.

Would you mind share you network setup and client info? And what setting are you using? I am curious how you made AX11000 performs better with the current firmware.

Would you mind share you network setup and client info? And what setting are you using? I am curious how you made AX11000 performs better with the current firmware.

Router setting is very basic, aside from hiding and renaming my 2.4ghz channel since disabling it doesn’t actually work, everything is default.

Main router is the ax11000 with the ac5300 using AiMesh. I have about 3-25 clients on this router at any given time, but that number is usually around 10. Nas, printer, desktops, htpc’s, laptops, phones, tablets, server, etc. Anything that has a Ethernet port is connected through Ethernet, the others are connected wireless.

I have a second router, the amplifi hd connected to the ax11000. It connects into its wan Port, so it uses its own dhcp pool. This is where alll my smart devices are connected. Ring products, nest, tplink Kasa and Alexa. It has about 45-55 clients. Everything here is wireless.

On the ac5300 the best I was ever able to achieve and it’s not scientific at all, was 570mbps. I still avg that with the ax11000, but like I said the best I’ve found it to achieve was hitting 700. Like I said very unscientific, as I think the ax11000 is giving me other problems and I wouldn’t be surprised if that speed was achieved connecting to the ac5300 node.

I honestly believe my AX has connection issues, my daughter tells me all the time her stuff keeps on disconnecting from the AiMesh and onto the amplifi. And as I’m sitting here writing you, where I’m very close to the ax, that might be the case as I’m disconnecting all the time and connecting to my second router.

Update:
My other daughter just told me she was having connection issues today, so it does look like it works for a day or two or maybe 3 and then starts dropping.

I just emailed Asus about these issues.

Last edited:
Router setting is very basic, aside from hiding and renaming my 2.4ghz channel since disabling it doesn’t actually work, everything is default.

Main router is the ax11000 with the ac5300 using AiMesh. I have about 3-25 clients on this router at any given time, but that number is usually around 10. Nas, printer, desktops, htpc’s, laptops, phones, tablets, server, etc. Anything that has a Ethernet port is connected through Ethernet, the others are connected wireless.

I have a second router, the amplifi hd connected to the ax11000. It connects into its wan Port, so it uses its own dhcp pool. This is where alll my smart devices are connected. Ring products, nest, tplink Kasa and Alexa. It has about 45-55 clients. Everything here is wireless.

On the ac5300 the best I was ever able to achieve and it’s not scientific at all, was 570mbps. I still avg that with the ax11000, but like I said the best I’ve found it to achieve was hitting 700. Like I said very unscientific, as I think the ax11000 is giving me other problems and I wouldn’t be surprised if that speed was achieved connecting to the ac5300 node.

I honestly believe my AX has connection issues, my daughter tells me all the time her stuff keeps on disconnecting from the AiMesh and onto the amplifi. And as I’m sitting here writing you, where I’m very close to the ax, that might be the case as I’m disconnecting all the time and connecting to my second router.

Update:
My other daughter just told me she was having connection issues today, so it does look like it works for a day or two or maybe 3 and then starts dropping.

I just emailed Asus about these issues.
Sounds like you have a really busy network at home...

I was curious how you made your ipad achieve the highest throughput (internet throughput), but now I would guess you achieved that when connected to ac5300 in the mesh... Ipad 11 has a two stream AC adapter, and I never manage to get higher negotiated tx rate above 867.7mbps...

The AIMesh was setup sucessfully, however, some of my device are just not connecting to the most optimal node....

Let me know what you find out from ASUS support, hope they are working on a new firmware and we can see that coming soon.

Sounds like you have a really busy network at home...

I was curious how you made your ipad achieve the highest throughput (internet throughput), but now I would guess you achieved that when connected to ac5300 in the mesh... Ipad 11 has a two stream AC adapter, and I never manage to get higher negotiated tx rate above 867.7mbps...

The AIMesh was setup sucessfully, however, some of my device are just not connecting to the most optimal node....

Let me know what you find out from ASUS support, hope they are working on a new firmware and we can see that coming soon.

no it does look like the connection is the AX. It just happened that the AX was coming to that time of day(s) that it started to disconnect its wireless as I was writing that. I just did a test of the connection to the AX (sitting pretty much within 3m of it) and it gave me a ping of 6 and throughput of 525mbps. I have no been able to achieve the 700 that i once got, but i'm sure it has to do with something.

Has anyone had Pihole successfully work with this router? Any time I set the DNS to my Pihole's IP it blocks ads for a while and then it just stops doing so, like if the router overrides the DNS setting (in the router's setup page still shows ok).

Wouldn’t have been myself if I hadn’t tried out the GT-AX11000. Not enough to get my fingers burnt by the RT-AC86U, I said to myself – Hey, this is ASUS, let’s give them another try. Yeah.

1) Good Wi-Fi coverage in my apartment – better than my RT-AC86U, but no more than on a par with the TP-Link C4000;

2) Horrible experience trying to connect my PLC devices, just horrible (this appears to be standard for Asus, no reason why);

3) No noticeable increase in Wi-Fi speed (no scientific testing on my part, just the smartphone and laptop, testing download and upload at various distances; and I have no AX clients);

4) The third band (second 5 GHz) died after four days. Heavens. Nice.

Sent back to the shop for a full refund, and I switched back to what I was using before.

Amazing – a relatively expensive router that fails within a few days. Of course your experience may be different (and I hope it is), but this just blew my socks off.

yes, this router is horrible. I keep on losing my WIFI connection to it and have to reboot. Problem is i've thrown away the box.

If I may make a suggestion - never ever throw away the box.
I didn't experience disconnects, not once, during my very short period of ownership, but what I did experience makes me think that Asus have a QA problem regarding routers.
Shame, really, as I've got four Zenbooks (flawless and faultless) and have gone through dozens of their motherboards (excellent) over the years.
But routers - not nearly as good.

Hello fellow owners,

Just came here to toss in my experiences with the ax11000.

To summarize, it has not been good. I have experienced everything from sudden loss of all wifi networks require a reboot to bring them back (multiple times in the past 2 months of ownership) to the 2.5GB lan port stopped working requiring me to do a full factory reset to get the 2.5GB port working (where my 16port switch is connected to).

I have tried the "beta" firmware that popped up on the UK Tech Hub forums, but it caused other problems I didn't have before such as loosing all IPV6 connectivity and one of my 5ghz networks disappeared.

I have had more than an average person's share of routers between Asus & Netgear, lately sticking to Asus with the last three. This router has to be the most buggy and inconsistent router I have had. I only bought this router as my parents router gave up the ghost, so I gave them mine (asus 87r) and took the opportunity to get something new to play with. The experiences I have had these past two months make me miss my stable 87R hah.

I feel a lot of these problems could be solved with firmware and testing. I just don't understand how Asus can release such a "premium" product and seemingly ignore post release issues. I believe Asus is working on fixing things, but they are doing so on their normal slow time table. A produict like this deserves a speedier support time frame during the first couple of months of launch.

Here's hoping Asus gets off their butt.

I'm having lots of issues with this router. Came to this post looking for answers but it looks like it's been a mess for everybody.

- I can't get near my 1gig speed from century link (using c3000a) . I get 500mb download and 1gig upload when using ethernet and when using wifi, it wont go past 200mb down / 450 up. I don't know why up is higher than download. I have an intel 128V, I think I will try and getting another ethernet card - even though same happens in my Imac via ethernet. This is really disappointing.
- Dual Wan for failover: keeps saying the cable is disconnected. If I mess in the connection type (lan/wan) it comes back but bugs again in a couple of hours.
- The device list in my mobile app or in the web ui is completely useless as it doesen't reflect what's really connected or not.

Setup:
- Asus ROG AX 11000 (main router) - Top floor that has 4 lan ports and 1 2.5GB port - running
- 2x RT-AC86U both wired to the Ax11000 (lan port 1 and 2) - latest firmware
- 1x GS810EMX that switch handles a few ethernet outlets (2.5GB port)
* Lan port 4 is being used for as dual wan for failover and port 3 has my main desktop hooked directly.

It has gotten to the point that 2 century link techs have given me their mobile phones to report to them once I found out what the problem is so that they can document it there as they have no clue what's going on.

In sum, still deciding if I'll keep it. I am still traumatized after my old ac3200, merlin saved me there though.

Read more aobut my situation here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...plex-wifi-setup-asus-synology-ubiquiti.55728/

I'm having lots of issues with this router. Came to this post looking for answers but it looks like it's been a mess for everybody.

- I can't get near my 1gig speed from century link (using c3000a) . I get 500mb download and 1gig upload when using ethernet and when using wifi, it wont go past 200mb down / 450 up. I don't know why up is higher than download. I have an intel 128V, I think I will try and getting another ethernet card - even though same happens in my Imac via ethernet. This is really disappointing.
- Dual Wan for failover: keeps saying the cable is disconnected. If I mess in the connection type (lan/wan) it comes back but bugs again in a couple of hours.
- The device list in my mobile app or in the web ui is completely useless as it doesen't reflect what's really connected or not.

Setup:
- Asus ROG AX 11000 (main router) - Top floor that has 4 lan ports and 1 2.5GB port - running
- 2x RT-AC86U both wired to the Ax11000 (lan port 1 and 2) - latest firmware
- 1x GS810EMX that switch handles a few ethernet outlets (2.5GB port)
* Lan port 4 is being used for as dual wan for failover and port 3 has my main desktop hooked directly.

It has gotten to the point that 2 century link techs have given me their mobile phones to report to them once I found out what the problem is so that they can document it there as they have no clue what's going on.

In sum, still deciding if I'll keep it. I am still traumatized after my old ac3200, merlin saved me there though.

Read more aobut my situation here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...plex-wifi-setup-asus-synology-ubiquiti.55728/

I've been following your story but haven't determined if you've ever performed a full reset to factory defaults and then proceeded to do a minimal and manual install without using any saved config files?

I would also suggest that you disable any and all 'features' and test if the hardware performs better then in your network.

The connected network devices can be checked in the wireless logs just as easily and much more reliably. ;)

Please see my signature below for links on getting your router to a good/known state so that you can determine the worth of the hardware you are considering keeping. The software/firmware will hopefully keep improving, but if you can use it now fully with a few tweaks, adjustments (or some features disabled), it may become more valuable to you.

For those that haven't noticed there is a new firmware out
ASUS GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.5977
Security Fix
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336
- Fixed null pointer issue. Thanks for CodeBreaker of STARLabs’ contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Resecurity International's contribution.

Improvement
- Improved GT-AX11000 and Samsung® S10 series connection performance.

Bug Fix

- Fixed AiMesh LAN IP issue when router using IPv6 WAN.
- Fixed Network Map related issues.
- Fixed AiMesh connection issue between GT-AX11000 and RT-AX88U.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/GT-AX11000/FW_GT_AX11000_30043845977.zip

Using firmware 5977, for me the Network Map page is missing some graphics
Also, the dashboard page now takes some time for it to load completely while before it was instant.
This continues happening even after a hard reset

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!