What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What do the spec sheets say?
Do the RT -AC5300 and AX11000 have the same CPU/RAM??? I thought the ax11000 was more powerful???

Do the RT -AC5300 and AX11000 have the same CPU/RAM??? I thought the ax11000 was more powerful???
RT-AC5300:
1.4 GHz dual-core processor
512 MB RAM

GT-AC5300: (tech info depot wiki)
1.8 GHz quad-core processor
1024 MB RAM

GT-AX11000: (tech info depot wiki)
1024 MB RAM

I'm not sure if the quad-core processors are exactly the same for the GT models. I would think, at the very least, ASUS would utilize a more advanced and power efficient revision of the CPU inside of the GT-AX11000.

RT-AC5300:
1.4 GHz dual-core processor
512 MB RAM

GT-AC5300: (tech info depot wiki)
1024 MB RAM

GT-AX11000: (tech info depot wiki)
1024 MB RAM

I'm not sure if the quad-core processors are exactly the same for the GT models. I would think, at the very least, ASUS would utilize a more advanced and power efficient revision of the CPU inside of the GT-AX11000.
Thanks! I appreciate you compiling that for us - very helpful. I have a RT-AC5300 and now a GT-AX11000.

Thanks! I appreciate you compiling that for us - very helpful. I have a RT-AC5300 and now a GT-AX11000.
No problem.

And nice buy! Double the processing power CPU wise. Not to mention, it's clocked faster. Also double the RAM.

Recently purchased a GT-AX1100 to use as the main router and used my older GT-AC5300 as a node. My reason for adding the additional router is to extend the WiFi signal to my back yard to our hot tub that is 30' from the rear of our house. Our house is a 1,800ft2 single story house. We started using a projector in the back yard streaming movies via Amazon firestick. At times when using the GT-AC5300 as the stand alone router we would experience buffering in the video playback. My wife does not like the looks of the GT-AC5300 positioned in the dinning room area. So I went out and purchased a Orbi AC3000 to meet the wife acceptance factor (WAF). I turned off the Wifi 6 function on the GT-AX1100 and did several speed tests comparing the Orbi setup to the Asus AX1100 /AC5300 setup.

My ISP is Cox and I have the 500mb down and 10mb up speed.

Orbi Asus (5ghz-2)
next to main router 447 down load (DL) Orbi 419 DL ASUS
Living Room 401 DL Orbi 308 DL ASUS
Master Bedroom 303 DL Orbi 300 DL ASUS
Kitchen 378 DL Orbi 224 DL ASUS
Hot tub (back yard) 30 DL Orbi 157 DL ASUS

I ran the speed test 3 times using the same server within 30 minutes early this morning. The Orbi does not allow me to pick between using the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels. It appears the Orbi at the hot tub is diverting to the 2.4 channel hence the 30 DL speed. When using the 2.4 channel on the Asus setup I was getting around 50 DL. Outside of the Master bedroom the Orbi setup has the faster speed but it lacks the adjustability in the software department. Another thing I noticed is the 5ghz-1 setting on the Asus does not transmit a strong signal and even when I was using the GT-5300 by itself I always connected my clients via the 5ghz-2 setting.

I wanted a Wifi 6 router for future proofing but the current download speeds give me pause as to whether I will keep the GT-AX100. Any suggestions?

Recently purchased a GT-AX1100 to use as the main router and used my older GT-AC5300 as a node. My reason for adding the additional router is to extend the WiFi signal to my back yard to our hot tub that is 30' from the rear of our house. Our house is a 1,800ft2 single story house. We started using a projector in the back yard streaming movies via Amazon firestick. At times when using the GT-AC5300 as the stand alone router we would experience buffering in the video playback. My wife does not like the looks of the GT-AC5300 positioned in the dinning room area. So I went out and purchased a Orbi AC3000 to meet the wife acceptance factor (WAF). I turned off the Wifi 6 function on the GT-AX1100 and did several speed tests comparing the Orbi setup to the Asus AX1100 /AC5300 setup.

Orbi Asus (5ghz-2)

I ran the speed test 3 times using the same server within 30 minutes early this morning. The Orbi does not allow me to pick between using the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels. It appears the Orbi at the hot tub is diverting to the 2.4 channel hence the 30 DL speed. When using the 2.4 channel on the Asus setup I was getting around 50 DL. Outside of the Master bedroom the Orbi setup has the faster speed but it lacks the adjustability in the software department. Another thing I noticed is the 5ghz-1 setting on the Asus does not transmit a strong signal and even when I was using the GT-5300 by itself I always connected my clients via the 5ghz-2 setting.

I wanted a Wifi 6 router for future proofing but the current download speeds give me pause as to whether I will keep the GT-AX100. Any suggestions?

First, try the 2.5 Ghz WAN port for internet input and see if that is any different for you with the AX11000.

In terms of WAF and a very good router check out the ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8). https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-...i-System/ZenWiFi-WiFi-Systems/ZenWiFi-AX-XT8/

You can get white or black, you can get 2, 3, or 4 units. Wireless or Ethernet back-haul, and it has three built in LAN ports. All the units are identical.

I've owned the Eero, and this router (XT8) kills it. Also, if you're accustomed to the AsusWRT interface, you'll love this. It has AI mesh 2.0. And now the Asus mobile app is fantastic, it caught up with and passed the Eero mobile app.

Another plus is you can also keep your old 5300 (which is still a very good router), find a place to hide it and add it into the Asus AI Mesh pool!!

Check it out, I hope my suggestion helps you.

Orbi Asus (5ghz-2)

What wifi device are you using to speed test with?
Whats the distance in between the GT-AX11000 and the GT-AC5300?
What Orbi model did you test?

First, try the 2.5 Ghz WAN port for internet input and see if that is any different for you with the AX11000.

In terms of WAF and a very good router check out the ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8). https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-...i-System/ZenWiFi-WiFi-Systems/ZenWiFi-AX-XT8/

You can get white or black, you can get 2, 3, or 4 units. Wireless or Ethernet back-haul, and it has three built in LAN ports. All the units are identical.

I've owned the Eero, and this router (XT8) kills it. Also, if you're accustomed to the AsusWRT interface, you'll love this. It has AI mesh 2.0. And now the Asus mobile app is fantastic, it caught up with and passed the Eero mobile app.

Another plus is you can also keep your old 5300 (which is still a very good router), find a place to hide it and add it into the Asus AI Mesh pool!!

Check it out, I hope my suggestion helps you.
Appreciate the reply. I changed to the 2.5 Ghz WAN port and speeds increased and closed the gap between the AX1100 and the Orbi. On the WAF front it appears the ZenWifi XT8 is popular and is not available at my local Best Buy. Since I live just over 60 miles from a Microcenter and they have them in stock I may give it try later in the week once I am off from work since it is a in store purchase only. Amazon has the XT8 but it is sold from another vendor and the price is $548.

What wifi device are you using to speed test with?
Whats the distance in between the GT-AX11000 and the GT-AC5300?
What Orbi model did you test?
I am using my Apple iPhone 10 to perform the test using Speed Test by Ookla, the server from my location was 34 miles away and the same server was used for the speed test. 35 feet is the distance from the GT-AX1100 and GT-AC5300. The Orbi router and satellite was placed in the same location as the AX1100 and AC5300. The Orbi model is the AC3000 (RBK50).

Connection rates maybe different between the ASUS routers and Orbi. Max connection rate speed of the 50 series Orbi is 866 on 5Ghz AC. I believe the ASUS routers support up to 1300/1733Mpbs on 5Ghz AC and for AX supporting devices, 2400 to 4800Mpbs.

Also be aware that some phone and pads are limited by there MIMO antenna support. Anything 2x2 will have a hard time getting near 900Mpbs on the download. 4x4 antenna design shouldn't have any problems getting 900Mbps and over. Also OFDMA can play a roll in this as well. I've noticed that with a Orbi AX system with no OFDMA, my iphone 12 max gets around 500-700Mpbs, with a D-link DIR-LX1870 system with OFDMA support, my iphone gets near 900mpbs speeds.

Connection rates maybe different between the ASUS routers and Orbi. Max connection rate speed of the 50 series Orbi is 866 on 5Ghz AC. I believe the ASUS routers support up to 1300/1733Mpbs on 5Ghz AC and for AX supporting devices, 2400 to 4800Mpbs.

Also be aware that some phone and pads are limited by there MIMO antenna support. Anything 2x2 will have a hard time getting near 900Mpbs on the download. 4x4 antenna design shouldn't have any problems getting 900Mbps and over. Also OFDMA can play a roll in this as well. I've noticed that with a Orbi AX system with no OFDMA, my iphone 12 max gets around 500-700Mpbs, with a D-link DIR-LX1870 system with OFDMA support, my iphone gets near 900mpbs speeds.
I appreciate the input. My wife is warming up to the idea of keeping the AX-1100. Microcenter presently has the GT-AX1100 on sale for $380. What are your thoughts of replacing my GT-AC5300 with another GT-AX1100, so I have a GT-AX1100 as the primary and a AX-1100 as a node?

I have a friend who has both GTs and the 5300 set up and the node. 11000 set up as the host router. Loves it. Though not AX wifi throughout. If you want AX through and though, then of course matching AX working as node would be great. 30 feet or more should be the starting point in between, depending upon building materials.

Appreciate the reply. I changed to the 2.5 Ghz WAN port and speeds increased and closed the gap between the AX1100 and the Orbi. On the WAF front it appears the ZenWifi XT8 is popular and is not available at my local Best Buy. Since I live just over 60 miles from a Microcenter and they have them in stock I may give it try later in the week once I am off from work since it is a in store purchase only. Amazon has the XT8 but it is sold from another vendor and the price is $548.
The XT8 is very popular on Amazon. They usually get it back in stock every week or so. Good luck. I'm using the GTAX11000 and the RT5300, and so far I'm LOVING the combination!

Can I use 2nd channel 5GHz-2 for (Wi-FI) backhaul AND direct use by a device like my iPad at the same time????

Well, I am late to the party. I am aware this model is has a problematic history but I got it for $100 cheaper with 30 days return so why not? Mine (A1.1 CA) works fine except 5GHz-1 is consistently 15-20dBm weaker than 5GHz-2 at any distance, even right next to it. I wonder if this is by design or mine is a defective. I did try everything, even hard reset but the difference remains. Could any AX11000 owners verify (if there's any left)? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-153742.png
    Screenshot_20220112-153742.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 101
What FW version is the router using?
Well, I am late to the party. I am aware this model is has a problematic history but I got it for $100 cheaper with 30 days return so why not? Mine (A1.1 CA) works fine except 5GHz-1 is consistently 15-20dBm weaker than 5GHz-2 at any distance, even right next to it. I wonder if this is by design or mine is a defective. I did try everything, even hard reset but the difference remains. Could any AX11000 owners verify (if there's any left)? Thanks in advance.

I've kind of said this before - but the AX11000 is a great repeater (slave) with GT-AC5300 as main.
I'm reliably getting 500+ bidirectional (wireless) and same wired into the AX11000, with AC5300 plugged into AT&T Fiber gateway/ONT.
vice-versa is sh_t for me.

I've kind of said this before - but the AX11000 is a great repeater (slave) with GT-AC5300 as main.
I'm reliably getting 500+ bidirectional (wireless) and same wired into the AX11000, with AC5300 plugged into AT&T Fiber gateway/ONT.
vice-versa is sh_t for me.
Turns out 5GHz-1 (lower band) is limited to 200mW (1/5 of 5GHz-2 (upper band)) due to the Canadian 5GHz regulations. This means all routers being sold in Canada should be subjected to the same limitation. I tested my old AC68U A2 which behaves the same too.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!