What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 offer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiomiguel

Occasional Visitor
There is a ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 offer at 140 euro.

I see thes is one of the recommended routers here.

Some questions:

I have read about crappy antennas in this model. Is this true?

Can I play with antenna orientation (for space needs)

Is so big as they say?

Now I have an RT-AX82U as main router, with a heavy configuration (DHCP, ports etc.) Can I load the configuration file in new AX6000? Can be dangerous? Can I brick the router?

Can I use it as AP or is wasting money?

No crappy antennae. Yes, they are adjustable. Not so big, but may be bigger than you expect.

DO NOT LOAD CONFIG FILES BETWEEN MODELS.

Use it as the main router. You may find you do not need an AP.

Test using it as an AP, first. After your tests, see what works best for you in your environment. There is no 'wasting money', there is only not optimizing as best as possible for your environment/network needs.

No crappy antennae. Yes, they are adjustable. Not so big, but may be bigger than you expect.

DO NOT LOAD CONFIG FILES BETWEEN MODELS.

Use it as the main router. You may find you do not need an AP.

Test using it as an AP, first. After your tests, see what works best for you in your environment. There is no 'wasting money', there is only not optimizing as best as possible for your environment/network needs.
I am thinkin before doing this because:

- Main router is in garaje due to ONT location. I have three floors with main router in the first level. From this level coverage does not reach last level with RT-AX82U (and I think no router colud coverage it -In Spain only 100mW allowed-)

- I have wired 1000 BaseT all levels. I do not know if it is possible connet ONT to Swith and upstair from switch to router and from router to switch again (making two independent LAN,s) I do not know how to do this so I put a RT-AX55 in middle and coverage all home -better than I though but I nedd more coverage-

- Put AX6000 as main router wast it´s WIFI (I do not think AX6000 coverage will fill all home) with RT-AX82 as AP

- Put AX6000 as AP perhaps would coverage all home but it.s strong cpu for nothing????? I have read here RT-AX82U has crappyy CPU

Compared to a 14-inch notebook.

The antennas are chunky, but no issues otherwise.

PXL_20231124_154118906.jpg

I am thinkin before doing this because:

- Main router is in garaje due to ONT location. I have three floors with main router in the first level. From this level coverage does not reach last level with RT-AX82U (and I think no router colud coverage it -In Spain only 100mW allowed-)

- I have wired 1000 BaseT all levels. I do not know if it is possible connet ONT to Swith and upstair from switch to router and from router to switch again (making two independent LAN,s) I do not know how to do this so I put a RT-AX55 in middle and coverage all home -better than I though but I nedd more coverage-

- Put AX6000 as main router wast it´s WIFI (I do not think AX6000 coverage will fill all home) with RT-AX82 as AP

- Put AX6000 as AP perhaps would coverage all home but it.s strong cpu for nothing????? I have read here RT-AX82U has crappyy CPU

Do all cable runs end back to the garage? Do you have multiple Ethernet runs to a central location in your home?

If so, plug the ONT to one run (not on a switch) and connect to the GT-AX6000s WAN as main router.

Plug into another Ethernet run via the LAN and connect to a switch (in the garage, if we're assuming that's where the cable runs go) that connects the rest of the home's Ethernet runs.

Plug one of those LAN connections to the WAN of the AiMesh nodes you want to use.

Is so big as they say?

Dimensions are listed on specifications page:

Any AP/router you buy in your country will be limited by local RF regulations.

2.4GHz - 100mW, 5GHz non-DFS - 200mW.

Did I say ANY few times already? No matter of brand, model and size - ANY.

got-you-spin.gif

Hi guys,
I see the gt-ax6000 it's on sale on Amazon UK for £160(just bought one a month ago).
I keep seeing posts here on forums that it's being discontinued and so on .. but then Merlin said he will support this router on new 3006 with the standard grey theme(which is great).

My question is: Is it worth getting another gt-ax6000(I have another 2 AC86U at 2 different location that I need to replace bybthe end of the year) for future use, or should I get the AX88U-Pro?
Thank you.

I keep seeing posts here on forums that it's being discontinued and so on

Old threads from the time GT-AX6000 had no firmware update for many months. All supported models have firmware delays lately, not just this one.

Is it worth getting another gt-ax6000

Get whatever suites your needs better, your choice. RT-AX86U Pro and higher RT/GT models will be supported for some time on 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.

Last edited:
Thank you Tech9.
Much appreciated 😊

If you need 2x 2.5GbE ports and "gaming look" - GT-AX6000
If you need 2x 2.5GbE ports and "normal look" - RT-AX88U Pro
If you don't need second 2.5GbE port and want smaller device - RT-AX86U Pro

All three models are popular around, have similar hardware inside, similar Wi-Fi performance and run on 3.0.0.6 firmware.

I know is slightly off topic, but whileni've got your attention: would it worth getting an AX52 or AX58 to use it as an wired node in conjunction with gt-ax6000?

I personally won't invest in AiMesh if more than 2 nodes or access points are needed and I have wires available. In theory AiMesh works better with identical units for main and nodes running the same firmware and updated at the same time when new firmware is available. Also AiMesh doesn't have too many roaming tools and identical radios minimize the chance of "preferred AP" for the clients. Mix and match and issues start surfacing sooner or later. Great marketing strategy though - people ask for more Asus routers even when not needed. After purchasing a new better router how do you know if you need a node or not, for example?

The fiber modem I have is at the front of the house in the living area and the gt-ax6000 doesn't reach all the way to the back of the house( where the kitchen and terrace are). There we spent most of the time 😊 and I have some IoT lights and WiFi camera outside.
At this moment I have the AC86U as a wired node there but I was wondering if I'm loosing any AX futures with this setup.

If you have a wire to the better location just move your GT-AX6000 router there and use this wire for WAN instead of LAN.

I did at 1st ... the wire has an unmanaged switch in the middle, but then I lose the connectivity for the devices in the living area 😃. I even tried to put the gt-ax6000 in the middle of the house inside a cupboard(where my switch and a nas are) but the signal is being blocked by the cupboard and mounting it on the outside on the hallway way is not very esthetic - it's like having some kind alien spider on the wall 😃.

Hi guys,
I see the gt-ax6000 it's on sale on Amazon UK for £160(just bought one a month ago).
I keep seeing posts here on forums that it's being discontinued and so on .. but then Merlin said he will support this router on new 3006 with the standard grey theme(which is great).
It hasn't, they finally released a new firmware a couple of days ago.
My question is: Is it worth getting another gt-ax6000(I have another 2 AC86U at 2 different location that I need to replace bybthe end of the year) for future use, or should I get the AX88U-Pro?
Thank you.
Considering that there are only minimal hardware differences, get whatever is cheaper.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!