What's new

Root login?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boxst

Occasional Visitor
I wanted to change some of the web pages, but can't as all the files are read only apart from root.

I can't find the password, is there one?

How to change some of the web pages???

I wanted to change some of the web pages, but can't as all the files are read only apart from root.
What pages do you want to change? The firmware configuration pages?
I can't find the password, is there one?
You ARE root on the router. Check this in telnet:
Code:
chief@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/[B]root[/B]# cd
chief@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/[B]root[/B]# pwd
[B]/root[/B]
You can also look into the passwd file:
Code:
chief@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/passwd
chief:x:[B]0:0[/B]:admin:/root:/bin/sh
If you want to change the firmware web pages, the answer is simple: You cannot to it!
Why? The firmware is read only and the web pages need to be change before compiling the firmware. :eek:

But: The Merlin firmware is open source, you can do the changes you want in the sources and then compile if yourself.
Look here for more details: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin
There is by sure a repository of the original Asus firmware, but I do not have it at hand to show you.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
The filesystem is read-only because it's stored in flash. There are however ways to temporarily replace a file using a method calling mount bind. What this does is it lets you mount a file on top of another one. With the regular firmware this would require you to re-run the command manually every time you reboot however. The syntax looks pretty much like this:

Code:
mount -o bind /mnt/sda1/www_copy/Advanced_System_Content.asp /www/Advanced_System_Content.asp

That will make the file on your USB disk get mounted on top of the read-only version, allowing you to replace it, or modify and test your changes as you go.

Thank you for that.

I seem to have changed the wireless output to 500mw now by changing the validation in the ASP page. Now whether as you mention somewhere that is true or not and not a hardcoded restriction in the firmware is another matter...

Steve

Code:
mount -o bind /mnt/sda1/www_copy/Advanced_System_Content.asp /www/Advanced_System_Content.asp
Sorry didn't work
mkdir: can't create directory '/usr/share/GeoIP': Read-only file system

Code:
Sorry didn't work
mkdir: can't create directory '/usr/share/GeoIP': Read-only file system

You quoted a command that runs a mount command, and your error message refers to a mkdir command. I don't understand what you are trying to do here, sorry...

You quoted a command that runs a mount command, and your error message refers to a mkdir command. I don't understand what you are trying to do here, sorry...
I'm trying to use GeoIP plugin to display country flags in RuTorrent. How can I create GeoIP directory and put GeoIP.dat in /usr/share file system (read only)?

I'm trying to use GeoIP plugin to display country flags in RuTorrent. How can I create GeoIP directory and put GeoIP.dat in /usr/share file system (read only)?

You can't. You will need to find a way to tell GeoIP to look elsewhere for its database.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!