What's new

Router + computer firewall question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canuckle

Regular Contributor
Hi, and sorry for what I'm sure is a very basic question...

I run a RT-AC68U, and an iMac. Currently the firewall is enabled on both. Is it necessary to have the firewall turned on for the iMac? I'm assuming the router firewall is more than sufficient ?

I think depends on how many security measures you want to have. I think workstation firewalls came about when a local PC would become infected and then infect all the surrounding workstations.

The other problem is software and hardware bugs are found and exploited. It is sometimes good to have a second line of defense. Hopefully not all firewalls will have the same bug at the same time.

It is annoying to work with a workstation firewall. I have spent many an hour working on problems only to find out it was a firewall issue.

Last edited:
You need both on. I have 6 on here.

PC has two layers of Firewall
Switch Layer2
Router Layer2

With a normal router config, I see no need for a PC firewall.

Windows has a default firewall and I use companion for it to take care of what it doesn't do. 2x there. A lot of apps open the external browser and tries to communicate with home base. I will not allow that. Other apps tried to install other hidden stuff. I will not allow this either. So this means on your PC apps are sending back data from your PC to the home office or installing other thing or both. Wouldn't want to stop those processes?

You need both on. I have 6 on here.

PC has two layers of Firewall
Switch Layer2
Router Layer2

good lord.

i disable softwalls. less stuff for bad people to try and exploit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!