What's new

Router Login Name Length

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
RMerlin,

Would you know the maximum length for the Router Login Name?

I have been locked out a couple of times now and had to reset the router to get back in while trying to test for this.

Also, would there be any names that are not valid for Router Login Name?

I think it would be a good idea to have it as a pop up help like it currently shows for the New Password field if possible.

RT-N66U running 374.39_0-em if it is firmware and model specific.

Thank you for any response to this query.

To know for sure would require analyzing all the firmware code that manipulates the http_username nvram value, which would require a fair amount of work.

A quick glance shows that in various places Asus has it limited specifically to 128 characters. But it's possible that there is one piece of code that uses a smaller buffer.

There's also the matter of the limitation imposed by Linux, more specifically the kernel used by the firmware. I have no idea what that limit would be.

Any valid Linux username should be valid, which probably means anything alphanumeric, possibly with a few very select special characters such as a dot (again, assuming there's not a particular piece of code that fails to properly handle such characters). To be safe, I'd say stick to just alphabetical characters.

I didn't expect up to a possible 128 character limit. :)

Unfortunately though, it seems like the RT-N66U at least can only accept 20 characters with the 39_0-em firmware.

Not that this is a limit for me; but with the new information above, the web ui seems to be the limiting factor here.

I didn't expect up to a possible 128 character limit. :)

Unfortunately though, it seems like the RT-N66U at least can only accept 20 characters with the 39_0-em firmware.

Not that this is a limit for me; but with the new information above, the web ui seems to be the limiting factor here.

It could also be the OS itself. I've seen at least one reference on the web that stated that uClibc was limited to 16 characters max for usernames. That could obviously vary between different versions of uclibc.

It could also be the OS itself. I've seen at least one reference on the web that stated that uClibc was limited to 16 characters max for usernames. That could obviously vary between different versions of uclibc.

Depends really.... libc6 has a 32 character max, however, usually it's not a good idea to exceed 16 characters for a username in linux, just to avoid compatibility problems with older applications.

Some very old applications still stick to the original limit of 8 chars for the username.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!