What's new

router not automatically reconnecting after restart

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenshiroro

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys

Has anyone ever experience routers not automatically reconnecting to your ISP after a reboot?
This happens to me all the time and i have to call my ISP to manually have the refresh my session. As soon as the session is refreshed, the connection is up and running pretty much immediately

I tried asking if it was an issue on their end however the typical answer is always "no, i would be an issue with your router"
Doesn't make sense to me to be honest as the connections re-establishes itself after they refresh on their end?

I'm rocking the AX86U and just upgraded to the latest firmware

Hi guys

Has anyone ever experience routers not automatically reconnecting to your ISP after a reboot?
This happens to me all the time and i have to call my ISP to manually have the refresh my session. As soon as the session is refreshed, the connection is up and running pretty much immediately

I tried asking if it was an issue on their end however the typical answer is always "no, i would be an issue with your router"
Doesn't make sense to me to be honest as the connections re-establishes itself after they refresh on their end?

I'm rocking the AX86U and just upgraded to the latest firmware

Reviewing your posts, you've had this issue for some time across multiple routers and firmware. Maybe you should tell us about your ISP service and their equipment/cabling to your router. And have you tried to escalate the issue with them?

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for your response

Yes i have escalated this issue to them multiple times however it seems like i'm hitting a dead end with them

What would you like to know about my ISP? Regarding equipment and cabling its very standard
ONT box from the street to the house and connecting an ethernet cable from the ONT to my router's WAN port

Thanks for your response

Yes i have escalated this issue to them multiple times however it seems like i'm hitting a dead end with them

What would you like to know about my ISP? Regarding equipment and cabling its very standard
ONT box from the street to the house and connecting an ethernet cable from the ONT to my router's WAN port

So, it's fiber Internet. When the disconnect happens, have you tried wiring a PC to the ONT? From what you describe, that will not connect until the ISP 'refreshes the session'(?). And that's a router problem, they say? Have they replaced the ONT? Have you replaced the WAN cable? Do you have another ISP option?

OE

Last edited:
So, it's fiber Internet. When the disconnect happens, have you tried wiring a PC to the ONT? From what you describe, that will not connect until the ISP 'refreshes the session'(?). And that's a router problem, they say? Have they replaced the ONT?

OE
The ONT i have now at the property is supposedly the "latest" model installed. No disconnection issues at all for the past 60+ days, so relatively stable

Yeah upon restart the router will keep on failing to reconnect. I was on the call this morning and as soon as they "refresh" the connection the router connected instantly

Logically it doesn't make any sense to me that its an issue with the router if doing something on their end (ISP) fixes the issue immediately

Have they ever sent a tech onsite to evaluate the fiber/signal to the ONT and the ONT? Have they done anything to investigate the issue? Do neighbors have the issue?

OE

I had the same exact issue with my Asus GT-AX11000 and I also have fiber. I had a fox222 ont which is newer but apparently certain versions have some issues just like this. My provider came out and replaced the ont with a new version and I have not had any other issues since. Pulls an ip eveytime after a reboot now. Also when it does happen unplug your Ethernet from your wan for 30 seconds. It should grab an ip quickly and should avoid having to call your isp every time.