What's new

Router not letting Wi-Fi Calling through

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here are the following configurations I applied to a new ASUS AC1900 (RT-AC68U) router that I just bought in order for Wi-Fi Calling to work. Note that I had to apply all three of these settings in order for Wi-Fi Calling to work. Prior to doing this, Wi-Fi calling would not activate on my iPhone 6S even though it would work on other Wi-Fi networks.

1. Enable "Telnet"
Advanced Settings -> Administration -> System -> Enable Telnet -> Yes -> Apply

2. Disable SIP Passthrough
Advanced Settings -> WAN -> NAT Passthrough -> SIP Passthrough -> Disable -> Click Apply

3. Enable Pings under Firewall settings
Advanced Settings -> Firewall -> WAN pings (or Respond Ping Request from WAN) -> Enable -> Click Apply

Hope this helps!

1. Enable "Telnet"

Advanced Settings -> Firewall -> WAN pings (or Respond Ping Request from WAN) -> Enable -> Click Apply
That’s not an especially good idea. Actually it’s a poor idea, and more than that, I’m not sure how it would help. The telnet server should not be enabled, troublesome attack vector.

I meant to share the link where I found these steps:

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/3024

I'm not well versed in routers/networking at all, but these configurations did enable Wi-Fi Calling when nothing else worked. I tried just disabling SIP Passthrough without enabling Telnet and it did not work.

If you have other suggestions that don't involve enabling Telnet, please let me know.

Based on the fact the TS uses an pppoe connection, try to set the MTU size a bit lower than 1500. Chances are it does not all fit anymore due to the pppoe overhead?

I'm not well versed in routers/networking at all, but these configurations did enable Wi-Fi Calling when nothing else worked. I tried just disabling SIP Passthrough without enabling Telnet and it did not work.

If you have other suggestions that don't involve enabling Telnet, please let me know.

I’m guessing you’re either using stock or an older version of Merlin? Telnet is disabled in more current Merlin releases.

I meant to share the link where I found these steps:

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/3024

I am having a look at your link. The only reason they're having you enable the telnet server is to change the nvram variable relating to the SIP setting. The advice to respond to pings from wan is only "for call quality monitoring and troubleshooting purposes" so probably not necessary (?) but I really couldn't say for sure. There are a lot of references to very old firmwares (years ago) which complicates things. I have no knowledge whatsoever about what SIP is, let alone anything about it. But what I do know is that you for sure do not want to leave the telnet server activated.

Have you tried IOS 11.4? I am running Apple's 11.4 on 2 iPhones, 7 and 7+ using a Cisco router with WiFi calling on a Spectrum connection and it works great. I am in a small town with not great cell service in my house. Sometimes I have to walk outside to use cell service. Not any more. WiFi calling works great.

Reactions: kfp
Thanks everyone. I just disabled Telnet and so far Wi-Fi Calling is still working. Is it okay to leave "Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN" enabled?

Thanks everyone. I just disabled Telnet and so far Wi-Fi Calling is still working. Is it okay to leave "Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN" enabled?
I don’t see any concern there, should be fine.

Here are the following configurations I applied to a new ASUS AC1900 (RT-AC68U) router that I just bought in order for Wi-Fi Calling to work. Note that I had to apply all three of these settings in order for Wi-Fi Calling to work. Prior to doing this, Wi-Fi calling would not activate on my iPhone 6S even though it would work on other Wi-Fi networks.

1. Enable "Telnet"

2. Disable SIP Passthrough
Advanced Settings -> WAN -> NAT Passthrough -> SIP Passthrough -> Disable -> Click Apply

Hope this helps!

Hey!
I tried this and it did not work. By the way, Telnet has been retire and does not exist on the latest versions of Asus-Merlin.
I found out a few months ago that disabling NAT acceleration enables Wi-Fi Calling to work for some reason. However, I've decided to leave it on because it greatly affects my symmetrical 1 Gbps internet speeds.

I've run into a similar problem. I'm running an 87u with Bell as well. WiFi calling doesn't work unless I turn off NAT Acceleration which defeats the purpose of having gigabit internet.

Is there any way to get wifi calling working?

I've run into a similar problem. I'm running an 87u with Bell as well. WiFi calling doesn't work unless I turn off NAT Acceleration which defeats the purpose of having gigabit internet.

Is there any way to get wifi calling working?

Still no solution on my side.

I thought I saw a post in the stock forums where NAT issues (needing disabled) have been fixed, though I cannot swear it was in re to wifi calling specifically. I think it was in relation to aimesh vs wifi calling.
However, I have wifi calling set up and enabled on my 5300, and it is working. This was on the latest build released this month 32799 I am sure merlin has not had a chance to incorporate the changes yet. Before this build it would show up very sporadically.

Adding a bit more info.

When NAT Acceleration if off it looks like the iPhone can connect over the port fine

Code:
udp 192.168.xxx.xxx 4500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 4500 ASSURED

When CTF is turn on the port seems to open but the iPhone doesn't get a response.

Code:
udp 192.168.xxx.xxx 4500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 4500 UNREPLIED

I've tried setting port forwarding for ports 500 and 4500 to the iPhone but that doesn't seem to work either.

I set up my ports for wifi calling as port triggers, so I don't have to assign static IPs for mobile devices and it will work for all phones.

Eh scratch that, just realized, I have not re setup my port triggers after doing a clean wipe for 32799. It is now working and all phone are enabled and working without setting up triggers on my end.

So maybe wifi calling has indeed been worked on by Asus in the latest builds. I guess its just a wait for code changes to be released and used by Merlin, Well that is assuming some of those changes are not closed.

I set up my ports for wifi calling as port triggers, so I don't have to assign static IPs for mobile devices and it will work for all phones.

Eh scratch that, just realized, I have not re setup my port triggers after doing a clean wipe for 32799. It is now working and all phone are enabled and working without setting up triggers on my end.

So maybe wifi calling has indeed been worked on by Asus in the latest builds. I guess its just a wait for code changes to be released and used by Merlin, Well that is assuming some of those changes are not closed.

I'll keep an eye out for that. We live in an area with good cell phone reception so its not a huge deal. But would be nice to have none the less.

For what it's worth, VoWiFi works fine on my end, without changing any settings whatsoever. I've been trying to get it to work last year, tried lots of things, but somehow never succeeded. Lately, there have been changes to the cellular network, causing the network signal bars to drop from 4-5 to 2-3. I notice on my iPhone (SE, iOS 12) that as soon as the cellular signal drops to 2 bars, it automatically switches to 'Vodafone WiFi'. So apparently, when I tried last year, either it wasn't fully implemented (which seems to be supported by Vodafone NL forum users) or my cellular signal was just to good to switch to VoWiFi. As I have done several factory resets in the meantime, I'm absolutely certain that none of the modifications I made back then, still exist so it basically works 'out of the box'. Even when all LAN clients are routed through a VPN, it still 'just' works. I even noticed that when I enable airplane mode, it shows 'Vodafone WiFi' instantly (which is basically unwanted behavior to me, but still... it works.)

if I remember correct there has been some who could only solve their iphone problems by updating to newer beta 12-ios.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, VoWiFi works fine on my end, without changing any settings whatsoever. I've been trying to get it to work last year, tried lots of things, but somehow never succeeded. Lately, there have been changes to the cellular network, causing the network signal bars to drop from 4-5 to 2-3. I notice on my iPhone (SE, iOS 12) that as soon as the cellular signal drops to 2 bars, it automatically switches to 'Vodafone WiFi'. So apparently, when I tried last year, either it wasn't fully implemented (which seems to be supported by Vodafone NL forum users) or my cellular signal was just to good to switch to VoWiFi. As I have done several factory resets in the meantime, I'm absolutely certain that none of the modifications I made back then, still exist so it basically works 'out of the box'. Even when all LAN clients are routed through a VPN, it still 'just' works. I even noticed that when I enable airplane mode, it shows 'Vodafone WiFi' instantly (which is basically unwanted behavior to me, but still... it works.)

I read that from iOS 11 apple allows carriers to decide if they want to prioritize wifi calling or cellular calls. On my carrier here they prioritize wifi calling.

One way to test for sure is to go into airplane more and that will automatically put it in wifi calling if enabled.

if I remember correct there has been some who could only solve their iphone problems by updating to newer beta 12-ios.
Ah thanks for reminding me I have ran every developer beta. This time of year I always forget. This time of year I swear I am not going to run next years beta.

Come next year I do, and Apple somehow persuaded me to part with my money. Luckily it was at first just a watch. Then my daughters phone died. So used an upgrade.

Moral of the story, I am on an area where Verizon priorities Wi-Fi but only with less than 2 bars and that’s everyday inside this 60 + year old faraday cage I live in with chicken mesh wire behind plaster walls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!