What's new

Router purchase advice - replacement for R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Enotsz

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Giving first context. Just had fiber installed at my house and the velocities are awesome. I tested the velocities with my main PC connected directly to the fiber switch from the ISP inteno xg684, and got 675Mbps, 1.64ms latency and 2.98ms jitter using the cloudflare speed testing tool. Now once I connected my Netgear r7000 in the middle things changed speed when to 400Mbps latency to 2.08 and jitter to 2.55.

So here does the firs question, will I be able to improve the speeds by replacing the router? I was thinking on changing it from before as it as 4 years I have using freshtomato because the 5g stopped working on netgear firmware and I have fans attached to it otherwise the router overheats in 4 min and shutsdown. Besides all of this is still working pretty ok :)

Now for the second question, I started looking to replace it with a combo (router+ ap wifi), during my search on the internet I discovered Ubiquiti, a brand that was recommended to me from friends quite some times. However after reading here in the forum it seems that it might not be the best brand for consumers like me that is knowledge on routers is not that big. Should I still go for a combo from Ubiquiti or go for a standard consumer router?

And finally the last question recommendations on combos that will improve my experience face to my current setup?

Thanks for the time reading.

P.s: The combo I was looking into was the ubiquiti ap ac pro + edgerouter x sfp (maybe if worth the upgrade the edgerouter 12).

All the best,

If you're been satisfied with the wifi range of the R7000, I would simply replace like for like. An Asus RT-AX88U running Merlin will give you added wifi performance and range, plus the added functionality and stability of Merlin.

If you're set on SMB-grade discrete components, you'll want a router that can do at least 1Gb/s NAT, plus an adequately powerful AP (or two). Most SMB APs are way less amplified than consumer all-in-ones; the AC Pro may or may not measure up to the R7000 range-wise, in which case you might instead want/need to run two lower-power APs, such as the AC-LITE.

If you're been satisfied with the wifi range of the R7000, I would simply replace like for like. An Asus RT-AX88U running Merlin will give you added wifi performance and range, plus the added functionality and stability of Merlin.

If you're set on SMB-grade discrete components, you'll want a router that can do at least 1Gb/s NAT, plus an adequately powerful AP (or two). Most SMB APs are way less amplified than consumer all-in-ones; the AC Pro may or may not measure up to the R7000 range-wise, in which case you might instead want/need to run two lower-power APs, such as the AC-LITE.

Thanks for the reply. I was actually looking for something with better range and performance than my r7000, I really thought by the advertisement that that AC-Pro had better performance and range in comparison to the wireless from r7000. One of the bedrooms on my house has very low signal.

The RT-AX88U seems like a solid choice, however I was trying to look for a combo so I can place the router in a box on the entrance of the house and the wifi ap on the middle of the house.

Can you advise on a router with 1Gb/s Nat and on a strong ap for wifi? Also if this router has sfp can I just ditch the device provided by the ISP (inteno xg684).

If this helps currently I have 10 devices connected by cable and 11 by wireless. I have one switch.

All the help is greatly appretiated.

Last edited:
The chance of finding a purpose-built AP with range equivalent range of an R7000 is on the lower side, as most are designed for serving higher client count over an equivalent area. You might be able to, but it would likely have to be a higher-end 4x4 AC or AX model, with a fairly high power output. Something like an EnGenius EWS377AP or similar. The Cisco CBW240AC might be able to do it, but you'd have to research.

For a wired router, if you were thinking of the Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP, it would suffice, yes. 1Gb/s is its limit, though, as opposed to other wired models that will actually do 1Gb/s full-duplex (2Gb/s total), such as the Mikrotik HeX S. In terms of replacing the ISP's fiber switch (the Inteno XG6846), I'd imagine it would be possible, as it appears that device is just a layer 2 switch, so you should be able to replicate all functionality with your device, presuming you know what to do and how to do it.