What's new

Router reboots when Docker is running on the PC behind

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andy Krop

Occasional Visitor
I found one issue when AX88 (Asuswrt-Merlin FW) randomly reboots while I run Docker container. Container establishes and accepts connections from the Internet. On the router I configured port forwarding as per container configuration requirements.
Router is currently running on RT-AX88U_386.2_2 firmware, downgrade to RT-AX88U_386.2 does not resolve the issue. I'm looking for advice how to troubleshoot the issue.
TIA

The same issue on 386.2_4. Disabling Port Forwarding immediately resolve the issue, when it is enabled router randomly reboots. I appreciate any ideas that will help to identify the issue.

Seems quite strange that the router crashes due to a Docker server in LAN.

I'd rather check any custom extensions installed on the router via AMTM, however these packages are widely used, thus I would not expect the cause will be in one of them.
Another possibility is to check any package installed manually via opkg. Some opkg packages are not compatible and can cause crashes (e.g. snmp is known to cause random kernel crashes, I assume that there could be other packages "touching" parts of the kernel related to closed source potentially causing a system crash).

Also, if you've a linux server on the LAN, you could consider forwarding the logs to it, so that they will not be lost in the reboot. Indeed you won't find trace about the "kernel crash", but you might find hints concerning the last actions performed before the actual crash.

Seems quite strange that the router crashes due to a Docker server in LAN.

I'd rather check any custom extensions installed on the router via AMTM, however these packages are widely used, thus I would not expect the cause will be in one of them.
Another possibility is to check any package installed manually via opkg. Some opkg packages are not compatible and can cause crashes (e.g. snmp is known to cause random kernel crashes, I assume that there could be other packages "touching" parts of the kernel related to closed source potentially causing a system crash).

Also, if you've a linux server on the LAN, you could consider forwarding the logs to it, so that they will not be lost in the reboot. Indeed you won't find trace about the "kernel crash", but you might find hints concerning the last actions performed before the actual crash.
I turned out that it reboots on any inbound connection from the Internet to device behind the router. Today I found the same issue when enabled NAS sync from my mobile. As soon as traffic started coming to NAS Asus rebooted again. and there are no record in the log that could indicate the issue, that's how it looks like. I will start removing custom extensions in amtm

Jun 12 13:13:26 kernel: ACCEPT IN=br0 OUT=ppp0 xyz
Jun 12 13:13:26 kernel: ACCEPT IN=br0 OUT=ppp0 xyz
May 5 07:05:02 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
May 5 07:05:02 syslogd: using server 192.168.1.10:514
May 5 07:05:02 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2021-06-06 12:35:09 EDT)

It could be either a bug in the ppp interface, an issue in some weird iptables rule or some conflict between the upstream pppoe protocol implementation and the vpn protocol used by the NAS.

Unfortunately I can't help much more... :-(
I don't use PPTP to connect WAN since I'd need an Optical Fiber port for that, which is not available in my AX88u; moreover the double router setup allows me to have a DMZ on a physically separated network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!