What's new

Router(s) for a 4000 sq ft house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mesh is not going to solve the smart home issues with like IoT devices. And the smart homes are already wired so using a wireless mesh is not a good idea compared to using wire.

I am not sure the Geek Squad is up to the task. I think they need to be trained. My daughter's real estate business she took over had been setup by the Geek Squad and maintained in Austin Texas. It was a mess when I took over. No VLANs. Everything was pieced together. Little switches everywhere. But it did run slowly. My daughter's PC would get an hour glass when she clicked on the internet waiting for a response. After I reworked the site and network it was instantaneous when you click on the internet now.

Instantaneous is relative to Spectrum's high latency. Fiber has much better latency times.

There are 15 users at the real estate office.

Last edited:
Mesh is not going to solve the smart home issues with like IoT devices. And the smart homes are already wired so using a wireless mesh is not a good idea compared to using wire.

You could be right, but time will tell. Meanwhile, I say let them... smart(?) homeowners... eat cake! :)

Incidentally, SOHOpelessly Broken 2.0 calls a router an IoT device... I get their drift but I think that stretches the definition of IoT a bit.

OE

I don't think any time will tell. Mesh does not control the VLANs nor define them.. Mesh is a wireless mechanism which just transmits the network whether it be wired or wireless.

An interesting note to this conversation is that builders of 0f high to mid-range in my area are recommending running ethernet cable for security cameras and a few APs for new home builds. One of the common complaints they get is about recently built homes (last couple of years) is that "the network' doesn't work with all the wireless devices new home include.

Several of the local home theater installers have migrated to installing networks in new home builds. It will be interesting to see how this trend continues. Several of the local HVAC installers sub-contract out to the network installers to install and set up wireless thermostats.

FWIW, I am an old school DIYer. In the early 2000's I ran a NSLU2 with an attached USB drive as a low powered network uploader/downloader so, large network transfers would happen during non-peak hours to optimize my network. At the time I was working with Linux .img files which took forever to transfer on my semi-rural network connection. Now that I am old and grumpy I just prefer not to tinker with my network. A few years ago I put in a vertically integrated system and never looked back.

On the other hand, I would kill for a vertically integrated open-source network control system that worked across multiple vendors' hardware :(

I don't think any time will tell. Mesh does not control the VLANs nor define them.. Mesh is a wireless mechanism which just transmits the network whether it be wired or wireless.

Are VLANs for bandwidth management/QoS, security, both? If bandwidth demand exceeds un-managed capacity... if they insist on networking untrustworthy clients... let them hire it out and pay the true cost of their smart home... let them eat cake.

OE

An interesting note to this conversation is that builders of 0f high to mid-range in my area are recommending running ethernet cable for security cameras and a few APs for new home builds. One of the common complaints they get is about recently built homes (last couple of years) is that "the network' doesn't work with all the wireless devices new home include.

Several of the local home theater installers have migrated to installing networks in new home builds. It will be interesting to see how this trend continues. Several of the local HVAC installers sub-contract out to the network installers to install and set up wireless thermostats.

Good move at this point in time, but... technology expires and/or is eclipsed quickly compared to copper pipes. The cabling will serve those homes well, but future builds may no longer require it.

OE

I have always said if it does not move put a wire on it and save the wireless for mobile devices.

Maybe at some point in the future we will start putting 5Ghz in every room to maintain those high bandwidth connections. I still think the best will use wire on the back haul.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I'm happy to report that after completing @OzarkEdge install notes above, not only is my RT-AC86U repaired, but my AiMesh system is running better than ever!

It sounds like your failed 86U is back in service. Keep an eye out for an intermittent issue. Otherwise, your 3-node AiMesh should cover your 4000 sq ft, even if all on one level.

OE

One last thing is wireless is limited on active connected devices. A lot of home gear is 30 or 32 per radio. In a smart home you can exceed this. Wire is your friend. Use it.

Business wireless have higher densities if you need it. Prices are coming down with Wi-Fi6 coming out soon.