What's new

Router selection advice; R7800, RT-AC86U, Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

r7s

New Around Here
I will be upgrading to Gig cable internet service. I have read tons of reviews and articles on SNB and elsewhere.

I think SNBers have saved me from being an AX88u early adopter, so deciding which AC to try.

R7800; hesitating over questionable firmware updates though it looks like Voxel mitigates the concern.

RT-AC86U; concerns about 2.4 radio life persist.

Synology rt2600; seems all around good, any downsides?

My use: 3 or 4 desktops with one being a gaming pc, 4 phones, and a 4K stream for video and TV.

Interested in VPN, but no experience with it.

Suggestions and pros/cons would be welcome and appreciated

Last edited:
All I can say is look at the reviews on Amazon for the 86U they are not very good for this router as far as radio issues and failures. It seems like a crap shoot trying to get one that is problem free. Personally I would not touch one unless you want to possibly play the return game.

While it's true that Netgear firmware is right now the worst Voxel does a nice job keeping the R7800 humming along. I like mine and the wifi range is outstanding.

I have all three of the routers in question:

1. AC-86U: experienced intermittent problems with wifi, but generally works OK
2. RT-2600: Used it very briefly - while UI is very nice, multiple options available, but there is a big "but": router slows down with options enabled, plus I was having problems with load balancing option.
3. R7800 - since switching to Voxel firmware it has been rock solid, but - I have read reports somwhere stating that WAN-LAN (single stream) is restricted to approx 400 Mbit/s - my ISPs are well below so no problem for me.

Pick your poison...

As others have outlined, it would appear each AIO has its shortcomings.

Have you considered discrete components; ie. dedicated router, optional switch(es) and separate wireless AP(s)? The whole package would be more complex to setup, but would give you overall better performance from the sum of the parts, likely be more reliable and definitely more easily upgrade-able in the future (ex. swap AC Wave 2 APs with post-ratified, stable AX gear, without having to tear out your routing, switching and running config). If that sounds appealing, I'm happy to get into suggestions.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - not sure if OP would be interested, but I would - if you don't mind sharing...

Separate components are a better way to build a network. You end up with a more flexible and expandable network. The all in one router is a comprise to bring all the basics into 1 convenient box.

I agree. I was looking into Ubiquiti - but scrolling through their forums gives impression that firmware/software is being released uncooked. Seems like to many problems for me.
In small apartment (55m2 - or 600 sq ft) I have 18 Cat 6 outlets (do not ask - I have over shot a bit), including one at the ceiling.
Unfortunately - my internet access is restricted to LTE - two networks, at best I can achieve 210 MBit/s each.
I'd like to install two/three cameras to monitor the flat when I am not there, AP (purchased UBNT AP AC LR and AC Pro).
Looking for a router which would allow me - on one hand separate monitoring from data network, allow using two (fall back/load balancing) ISPs.
One of the LTE routers can not be switched to bridge mode - double nating expected.
My idea is to use both LTE routers/modems connected to router, then to either on smart switch, or two switches - one for general use, other one for cameras. VPN to monitor flat from outside.
UBNT Protect seems to be far from fully operational system, thus it is out of my buying list.

Here is my setup. I posted this on another forum.

I like separates. I have Cisco small business gear in my house. This stuff has been running for many years. By the time you buy several high end single wireless routers you could afford to buy a nice network of equipment. The consumer wireless routers become outdated too fast. I tend to get about 10 years out of my Cisco small business gear with software support the whole time. Would I change to a single unit, NO WAY.

Cisco RV340 - router

Cisco SG300-28 - layer 3 switch which routes all local traffic. I have multiple network VLANs with 1 VLAN being the router VLAN which only contains the router with a point to point connection to the switch.

Cisco SG300-10MPP - the power supply for my Cisco wireless APs.

Cisco WAP371 - I have 3 Cisco wireless APs running only 5Ghz as I turned off 2.4Ghz.

I do not have any fans in my equipment. If I were to run a large POE+ switch I would end up with noisy fans.

I have roaming in my house. An iPad doing FaceTime will not drop a call all over my house roaming. Using a voice call there is only a spilt second delay of a few missed words when the voice call roams.

I left out the Arris 8200 modem.

Sound like perfect solution to my needs - wish Cisco hasn't started charging monthly fees for use of small business units like RV340, SG300 etc...
Maybe buying used ones (with old pre-monthly fees firmwares) would be a solution.

Sound like perfect solution to my needs - wish Cisco hasn't started charging monthly fees for use of small business units like RV340, SG300 etc...
Maybe buying used ones (with old pre-monthly fees firmwares) would be a solution.

What??? I don't pay any fees. You get some addon software for 6 months free but since I run my SG300-28 in layer 3 mode the router software did not work right. The inbound side worked but the outbound referenced my layer 3 switch as the only IP user. So I choose not to pay for anything. The Cisco umbrellas system for DNS might be worth it but I was already using QUAD9 for DNS so I don't pay for it either. The SG300-28 switch never had any fees or addon software.

All software updates or firmware is free for the life of the Cisco small business hardware. I usually get 10 years with software support for my Cisco small business hardware.

My wrong - I got it wrong, and was under impression that one needs to buy license to run RV-340 at all. As switches and router are fanless - that would fit me perfectly.
Would I need to buy license to run VPN connection on RV?

All I can say is look at the reviews on Amazon for the 86U they are not very good for this router as far as radio issues and failures. It seems like a crap shoot trying to get one that is problem free. Personally I would not touch one unless you want to possibly play the return game.

While it's true that Netgear firmware is right now the worst Voxel does a nice job keeping the R7800 humming along. I like mine and the wifi range is outstanding.
R7800 resale is low since the Amazon Prime days dropped it to real cheap. You can find one on eBay for a low risk price. Also, refurbished (by) Asus routers tend to be cheap near Black Friday which isn't far off.

My wrong - I got it wrong, and was under impression that one needs to buy license to run RV-340 at all. As switches and router are fanless - that would fit me perfectly.
Would I need to buy license to run VPN connection on RV?

I have not run VPN since I was working about 12 years ago. There are so many ways to run VPN you need to figure out what works best for you. Are you using VPN on an iPhone, PC, or connection to work? There are many more.

In my mind there is no real reason to run VPN unless you are connecting to work if you are in the USA. Cisco owns the best of the VPNs. What you can run on RV340 router I am not sure.

In my mind there is no real reason to run VPN unless you are connecting to work if you are in the USA. Cisco owns the best of the VPNs. What you can run on RV340 router I am not sure.

I'd like to have access from outside to cameras in apartment....

The Synology is a nice unit, but would not recommend if using a VPN as the speeds aren’t great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk