What's new

Router SMB device not showing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zacharybinx34

Occasional Visitor
After latest update, it fully reset my router for some reason when flashing, but now when I reenable SMB sharing no files are showing.

Any ideas? Seems to initialize fine in the log.

Change the SMB protocol to SMBv1.

Nevermind. It was a Windows 10 issue where for some reason SMB 1.0 wasn't installed under control panel -> Programs -> Enable Disable Windows Features -> SMB 1.0 unchecked/not installed.

Very weird. Fresh Windows 10 install too.

Nevermind. It was a Windows 10 issue where for some reason SMB 1.0 wasn't installed under control panel -> Programs -> Enable Disable Windows Features -> SMB 1.0 unchecked/not installed.

Very weird. Fresh Windows 10 install too.

Because it has a long history of vulnerabilities so it is disabled by default (which is good).

So is there a way to use SMB share on Windows 10 without that activated?
Yes. They left SMB v2 and above active, it's only SMB v1 they're turning off.

SMB v1 is the protocol that lets you "browse" your Samba shares on the network. You can't do that with SMB v2+ but you can still access the drive by typing its UNC. Likewise you can map a network drive with its UNC.

Yes. They left SMB v2 and above active, it's only SMB v1 they're turning off.

SMB v1 is the protocol that lets you "browse" your Samba shares on the network. You can't do that with SMB v2+ but you can still access the drive by typing its UNC. Likewise you can map a network drive with its UNC.

How do I do that?

Thank you!!!!

You can press Windows-R to open the Run command and then enter the UNC:
Untitled.png

Or from Windows Explorer you can go to Tools > Map network drive:
Untitled3.png

What's the downside of using v1 on a local network?
SMBv1 is inherently insecure. Microsoft started to proactively disable it in Windows (rather than the previous years of recommendations) after a series of worldwide ransomware attacks devastated large organisations. The malware was spread across LANs, in part, through the weakness of SMBv1.

With all that said, I use it on my home network :eek: because I like the ability to "browse" the network. Unlike big corporate environments my home network is quite small and is a "trusted" environment. I know exactly what's going on with all my devices and everything has anti-virus installed. I don't run a business from my home network.

In a worst case scenario where every device got infected with malware and had to be wiped, whilst being inconvenient it wouldn't be the end of the world. Sure I might loose a few family photo's but everything of importance is backed up somewhere else or can be recreated.