What's new

Router temperatures - 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm - just thinking here...

Asus putting temps in the WebUI is probably not a good idea - most, if not all, temp are within spec, and folks worry too much here...

Much like CPU loads across core...

It's causes a lot of concern where it's not really needed.

The product design takes things into account for a given level of performance...

Asus putting temps in the WebUI is probably not a good idea

There is no temps in Asuswrt GUI. Asuswrt-Merlin only.

The router with common temp issues was RT-AC86U. Quality of materials related. Temps hitting thermal protection of 100C and shutting down cores.

There is no temps in Asuswrt GUI. Asuswrt-Merlin only.

The router with common temp issues was RT-AC86U. Quality of materials related. Temps hitting thermal protection of 100C and shutting down cores.
IMG_0034.jpeg

Is this page not also on stock asuswrt? (Honestly can’t remember been so long)

Guess we just lost another RTRHTR customer... and just when I was about to make a new major release announcement for:

RTRHTR v1.2
Now featuring the ability to excessively overclock not only the CPU, but the DRAM, NVRAM and attached flashdrive as well in order to create an even more efficient heat source during extreme cold spells. Instructions are now also included on how to attach a small metal grate to the antennas in order to BBQ the meat(s) of your choice directly over your router! The dripping fats actually help ignite further heat within your routers' enclosure to keep you and your family warm during the coldest cold snaps! Enjoy!
View attachment 53301
They make nice space heaters.... And you don't have to worry if you have to leave them unattended for extended periods of time. They typically don't catch the house on fire becauses the fail safes usually trip way before that can happen.... And for @Tech9 favorite's, the wife will love cozy-on-up to the warm router while they place their online holiday shopping orders completely unhindered by the no adblocking policies.... And when it's breakfast time, just fry some eggs:

1700466617931.png

Last edited:
This was my record in summer. Router in the attic. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG-20230707-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230707-WA0003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 78
1703929513940.png

GT-AC2900 runs on 93 degrees without any fans...

The MTK chipset's router runs on incredibelly low temperature, even without any fan.
1703929575066.png

TUF-AX4200 with Mediatek Filogic 820, only with 52.8 degrees.

Would someone clue me in on how you find the router's (RT-AC86U) internal temperature?

Thanks in advance!

As the networks get faster and more complicated the small CPUs are generating a lot more heat trying to keep up. This is going to get worst over time. Eventually you will see the larger CPUs work as well or better. Power draw is going to keep going up. I run an i3 for my router and it runs at 29 degrees C and 31 in the summer. My CPU is 35 watts max, running at 3% which means it is not drawing a lot of power.

@coxhaus the CPUs in our routers are getting more energy efficient over time which is kinda balancing out the need for more processing power being requested from them.
One of my toys is an RK3588 SBC which is capable of running as a router, at full whack (about 13W 50C passive) it's more powerful than the i5 laptop I'm using, but idling along it runs at under 4W (36C passive). *Passive cooling, it uses the 0.5kg aluminium case as it's heat sink - yes it's a small brick!

What I read is Intel just released a lot of new CPUs based on 35 watts or less. But I guess you know 35 watts is maximum power draw running at 100%. They will draw a lot less power running at 5 or 7%. We may end up meeting in the middle. But I don't see bigger CPUs drawing 4W unless the power stepping gets really good. But once the little CPUs have to do the work they may draw as much power as the larger CPUs and run hotter because they are not setup for these higher power demands. The larger CPUs will probably have more head room in case there are spikes and not top out.

Plus, for better routing higher clock rates are better. I want at least 3GHz or greater clock speeds for my router. It is much snappier with higher clock rates.

Last edited:
Plus, for better routing higher clock rates are better. I want at least 3GHz or greater clock speeds for my router. It is much snappier with higher clock rates.

For a SW based router, clock speed matters - e.g. if I have a CPU that is 2GHz, in ideal conditions, it can do 2 gigabits per second in perfect conditions - that being said, NAT and other things take away from that...

But that's not the whole story is it?

What is more important is packets per second - and there, one has to consider packet sizes and traffic use cases...

Should also note that unlike Linux and Netfilter, BSD based distro's like PFSense/OpnSense do not have the fast path in SW - Linux/Netfilter does...

Updated the pictures of my cooling setup in post #1:

Router temps are still around 50-58C depending on the load:
Code:
Feb 29 18:15:00 RT-AC86U-9988 Temp: 52.3 40.0 49.0 ; Mem free: 33788 KB; Swap used: 30556 KB; sda1 wrote: 1125.02 MB
Feb 29 18:30:00 RT-AC86U-9988 Temp: 52.3 40.0 49.0 ; Mem free: 30232 KB; Swap used: 30540 KB; sda1 wrote: 1135.54 MB
Feb 29 18:45:00 RT-AC86U-9988 Temp: 51.8 40.0 48.5 ; Mem free: 28608 KB; Swap used: 30556 KB; sda1 wrote: 1154.95 MB

Attempting to outrun the grim reaper - ops, I really meant @Tech9 :)

Your router may believe it was reborn as a drone and may want to fly away.

73Oi.gif

I hate to interrupt the complex words VS beers contest here...

I just recently saw these threads about AC86U units failing, apparently due to thermal issues. So I quickly replaced mine with an AX86U and pray for the best.

My AC86U was manufactured (according to the label) in 2017 and I put it into service in early 2018, where it ran without hiccup for all the years since.

Since replacing it I've been trying to use it for another purpose (without success, so far) and it is still running.

I guess I must have lucked out and gotten one of the few good ones from that era!

Fred

I just recently saw these threads about AC86U units failing, apparently due to thermal issues.
It's not a thermal issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!