What's new

Router temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just ordered a new dedicated firewall hardware

If you are planning to re-use the AC86U as Access Point, Asuswrt doesn't have VLAN's support and you'll lose Guest Network option. It is actually available in AP Mode GUI, but it doesn't separate Guest Network connected devices from your main network.

If you are planning to re-use the AC86U as Access Point, Asuswrt doesn't have VLAN's support and you'll lose Guest Network option. It is actually available in AP Mode GUI, but it doesn't separate Guest Network connected devices from your main network.
No such plans, the A86U will most likely go into a 2nd hand market

Is anyone interested in running a test on their network with me?

If all the devices wired to your router are capable of 1Gbps, enable Jumbo Frames in Advanced - LAN - Switch Control and let me know if that drops your temps (CPU and radios) consistently.

I did, ~36hr ago, and I'm down 1-2 degrees across the board for my AC86 (and in some cases, a few degrees more). Curious if this is commonplace. If it is, I'll wager it even has an effect on AiMesh wired backhaul. (bonus points if you can report on that too)

(I've also noticed that -according to ntpMerlin- my offset has stabilized, and drift has dropped significantly; further, my packet loss reported by spdMerlin has dropped from low to lower)

I'm planning on leaving it this way for a while to see how it shakes down, but if it's commonly noted that there's a practically immediate effect (especially with various components/aspects of the firmware), people following along here should know so they can act accordingly.

^If that helps, after applying dropped from 45 C to 44 C on 5GHz and from 55 C to 54 C on the cpu.
I did not affect the 2.4 GHz temps.
The router is the AX86U.

Using a Sept. 2017 AC86U, ambient temp 27.25C, with greatly reduced responsibilities, but using two LAN ports. 2.4GHz is disabled due to unreliability. I'll update it when there is a new stable release merlin.
Screenshot_20211210_101403.png

Using a Sept. 2017 AC86U, ambient temp 27.25C, with greatly reduced responsibilities, but using two LAN ports. 2.4GHz is disabled due to unreliability. I'll update it when there is a new stable release merlin.
I would be very interested to see what would happen if your wired connections were 1Gbps rather than 100Mbps.
I should probably point an AiMesh thread in the direction of this thread to see if anyone willing to test this with that setup realizes a difference.

after applying dropped from 45 C to 44 C on 5GHz and from 55 C to 54 C on the cpu.
Remember, a 1 C drop in room temperature would have the same effect. What heat sinks and other cooling systems do is reduce the temperature rise above ambient.

... and bring more dust inside the router.
More dust = less space, less heat removal.
Carrying that to its logical conclusion would say that removing the heat sinks would improve cooling. No thanks!

Anyone know how to obtain the router temperatures on a MediaTek based Asus Router? The commands shared in the threads don't work as they simply don't exist on this

RT-AX53U btw.
MT7621

You can see them in the GUI right?
I think that's a Merlin feature? I don't see it on stock, this router has no Merlin support

I found that openwrt forums mentioned this MediaTek SoC has no temperature sensors, which is odd

I have a router running OpenWRT using the MediaTek MT7622 SoC, which is one generation later than your MT7621 and 50% faster. It is a very weak CPU (but does not run very hot) and I would not recommend it to anyone. Broadcom chips cost more but they are better chips by far. The only advantage so far from MediaTek is that they provide drivers that are open.

The only advantage so far from MediaTek is that they provide drivers that are open.

And very low cost products. I've got one Archer C80 for $45 and it's excellent as AP. AC Wave 2 3x3 radio with very good range and speed. Router part is basic and perhaps it won't get many firmware updates, but hey - $45 for Gigabit router, switch, access point, power brick and LAN cable. :)

1655559870997.png

There was a question about the exact distances between the chips and the heatsink on the RT-AC86U.
Well, 1.9 - 1.95 mm for the CPU, 2.9 mm for the radio chips (both 2.4 and 5GHz appear the same thickness). The CPU has its own mini PCB and stands about 1 mm higher than the radios (which are soldered to the router's main PCB).

The thermal pads used are:
- 2.5 mm on the CPU (and it's a little squashed);
- 3 mm on the radios.
Or at least those were the sizes on my unit.

FYI, the effect (t before vs t after) of this replacement alone was 24 C, +/- 3 C (2.5 mm original thermal pad to brass shim).

... And some pictures (downsized quite a lot as the forum wouldn't let me upload original size):
- The CPU;
- The main ICs on the board, starring left to right: CPU, radio chip with a thermal pad still on it, bare radio chip;
- The CPU already coated with thermal paste and covered by the 15 x 15 x 2 mm brass shim;
- A radio IC thermal pad (3 mm), the CPU thermal pad (2.5 mm, visibly deformed), the replacement brass shim at 2 mm.

Attachments

• AC86U-CPU-s.png
    AC86U-CPU-s.png
    905.5 KB · Views: 243
  • AC86U-ICs-s.png
    AC86U-ICs-s.png
    876.8 KB · Views: 255
  • AC86U-CPUBrassShim-s.png
    AC86U-CPUBrassShim-s.png
    937.6 KB · Views: 253
  • AC86U-TPads1-s.png
    AC86U-TPads1-s.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 246
  • AC86U-TPads2-s.png
    AC86U-TPads2-s.png
    609.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
IS it risky to have temperature of cpu around 75/80°C all time or not ?
Should install fans or not ?