What's new

Router with dual gigabit WAN support - advise please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stroper

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

For small office (1-10 people), outside of US, I needed a router with capability of dual gigabit WAN. At home, I have GT-AXE11000 which supports dual WAN. I thought of getting the same, but the doc https://www.asus.com/in/support/FAQ/1011719/ states that "The system will separate Internet sessions based on the load between the Primary WAN and Secondary WAN, instead of the overall bandwidth or overall data rate.". For the office, I would like to have redundancy with control over bandwidth and data rate. Both ISPs are based on Fiber and primary one is with 250Mbps and secondary is 300Mbps.

After Google search, I come to know about this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/tp-link-er605-vs-er7206.75184/, Cisco RV series, and peplink. Peplink is not available at my location (not even through Amazon). Tp-link and Cisco RV series are available through Amazon.

I needed dual gigabit WAN with VPN support (L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, and IKEv2)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Thank you for sharing the link. Unfortunately, this is not available to buy online in India as it is available through distributors which is pain in the butt to buy stuff in India at distributors.
Well, then I can't really help, as India has as far as I know, a bit of a tricky market for these kind of things due to the extra certification process that's required, so a lot of companies don't even bother with India.

Have you considered Mikrotik?

Given the limited off-the-shelf options you may be best to look at a pc running a suitable router distribution. Given your relatively low upstream bandwidth you won’t need massive cpu

TP-Link ER605 can do that and it's only $60. Some of the features though require Omada controller. The hardware is tiny, don't expect great VPN speeds. It's a low cost solution. Omada controller can run on a PC, no need to buy the hardware controller. Don't count on Dual WAN feature in Asuswrt. It's not working reliably, may not work at all for what you need.

Off the top of my head the following will do it under $400 USD:
Pelink Balance BPL-One-Core
OPNsense (Build your own router)
Netgate's PFSense+ (Models Netgate 1100, 2100, 3100)
Synology RT2600AC
QNAP Qhora 301W
Linksys LRT224
Cisco RV340
TP-Link RT605
TP-Link ER7206
Ubiquiti ER series (would recommend the ER-4, ER-6, or ER-12)
Mikrotik RB series (would recommend the 3011, 4011, or 5009)

Reply back with whats available to you and I can give you the detailed differences.

Off the top of my head the following will do it under $400 USD:
Pelink Balance BPL-One-Core
OPNsense (Build your own router)
Netgate's PFSense+ (Models Netgate 1100, 2100, 3100)
Synology RT2600AC
QNAP Qhora 301W
Linksys LRT224
Cisco RV340
TP-Link RT605
TP-Link ER7206
Ubiquiti ER series (would recommend the ER-4, ER-6, or ER-12)

Reply back with whats available to you and I can give you the detailed differences.
Thank you. Local shop has RV340 in stock. I got it and able to setup dual WAN now. It's not channel based but it does the job of basic load balancing. I got the static IP from the local ISP and able to setup successfully.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!

Thank you. Local shop has RV340 in stock. I got it and able to setup dual WAN now. It's not channel based but it does the job of basic load balancing. I got the static IP from the local ISP and able to setup successfully.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!
My pleasure,
Happy I could help!

That RB5009 looks like a beast. how is the user interface with Mikrotik? SImple?

I'm surprised Araknis isn't on your list.