What's new

Router with virtual access point function: which vendors?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeroen1000

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I don't think this is an unexisting feature, but I'm looking for a router, which can create a virtual access point, which I can bridge (or put in the same vlan as) the WAN port (thus bypassing NAT + Firewall).
I need it for (wireless + wired) gear that needs to obtain DHCP lease from the ISP instead of DHCP from the router. Of course I need a second access point for my normal LAN.

Devices connecting to the the SSID of the virtual AP, will receives public IP's from the ISP.

where so I start looking for this feature?

cheers,
Jeroen

Last edited:
There are no routers I know of that can simultaneously bridge and serve as a router in the way you describe.

Take any old router, configure wireless. Turn off DHCP. Connect the modem to the router's LAN port. Connect your secondary router to a LAN port. Your wireless devices and secondary router will pull leases from the ISP.

If you need something that can be turned on/off, Cisco IOS hardware can do one-to-one NAT. Whether or not that will do the trick depends on your requirements.

Perhaps it is a good idea to spell out my requirements.

In our country, the television box (for interactive tv) has to be directly connected the cable modem (there is still a switch in between but logcially that does not matter). So directly connected = no NAT, no firewall.

Our provider does this with home plugs (powerline) but they often stall because of our house wiring.

Anyway, I plan to install a wireless AP in the upstairs bedroom. This wireless AP should connect to the main wireless router. Now DD-WRT, for instance, can easily put a LAN port in the same VLAN as the WAN port. So its WAN port is at L2. The WAN VLAN has a virutal interface in it which has the WAN IP address. The LAN port one would move to the WAN VLAN would also be at layer 2.

Now here (at the main router), I want to put a virtual wireless interface in the WAN VLAN with SSID "'public WAN - for instance". The upstairs router will connect to it and any stuff I connect to its LAN port will receive DHCP from my ISP.

I figured, from reading the link above, this is a real feature or does only DDWRT have it:)?

That would be beautiful:D

Last edited:
Cradlepoint mbr95 I had this the WAN can be configured for about anything. This WiFi Router also 3G it complex. Linux UI has the same features of DD-WRT does. Well some of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!