What's new

Rsync interruption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vishnu Rao

Regular Contributor
I use rsync on my RT-AC68U to backup some files from my primary NAS (running OpenMediaVault, with wired connection) to a USB hard drive connected to the router.

rsync starts and is transferring files but gets interrupted after a random time. Here is the error message:

ssh: Connection to root@192.168.1.4:22 exited: Error decrypting

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (822901365 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(228) [receiver=3.2.4]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (269 bytes received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(228) [generator=3.2.4]

Any ideas on what the problem is?

I use rsync on my RT-AC68U to backup some files from my primary NAS (running OpenMediaVault, with wired connection) to a USB hard drive connected to the router.

rsync starts and is transferring files but gets interrupted after a random time. Here is the error message:

ssh: Connection to root@192.168.1.4:22 exited: Error decrypting

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (822901365 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(228) [receiver=3.2.4]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (269 bytes received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(228) [generator=3.2.4]

Any ideas on what the problem is?
Have you verify the destination path is correct? I use rsync to backup router addons scripts to NAS. What I did was create a user access with no password at the NAS. Ssh into the NAS to get the known_host key. Then rsync works. If I happen to reboot the NAS, the known_host key have to be updated in the router for rsync to work again.

Last edited:
The path is correct and rsync starts transferring the files. But gets interrupted for some reason.

I am going to try reboots on both the NAS and the router. Its been ~70 days since the last reboot on my router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!