What's new

RT-AC3100 Performance poor - Wireless & Wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have two routers: RT-AC3100 as principal router connected to my ISP Cablemodem, then an RT-AC66_B1 configured as Access Point to extend my wire & wireless network. I've two SSID on my house, one on my AC3100 and other on my AC66U_B1.

My contracted internet service is 300mb. When I connect my laptop directly to Cable-modem my Internet connection speed is 300mb. When is thought AC3100 decrease to 10/15mb in some cases to 8mb. The performance of WiFi decrease too. Checking the connection from my latop to my router i can see bad time using WiFi connection:

Code:
C:\Users\elrengo>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 121ms, Average = 68ms

The laptop (ThinkPad L480)is in the same room with AC3100, is connected in 5Ghz, and support AC.

On AC3100 is installed asuswrt-merlin, with Entware and ruTorrent. At this moment I'm not downloading nothing only sharing. The HW utilization of my router is loose:

ib25Tj5.png

SvjUaLZ.png

9VnpfLY.png

The bad internet connection is through wired or wireless connection to router. When I connected directly with Modem the connection has a 300mb connection.

I would like to know how to increase the perfomace of my router.

When you flashed RMerlin 384.17_0 did you do a full factory reset to defaults and then set it up minimally and manually (without using a saved backup config file)?

When you flashed RMerlin 384.17_0 did you do a full factory reset to defaults and then set it up minimally and manually (without using a saved backup config file)?

No. Allways default but then a restore backup.

Another behavior of my WiFi is in different devices, my phones my Laptop Thinkpad L480 or my Dell XPS L421X, the WiFi connection to 5Ghz. is disconnected and not appear any more in my available WiFi connection until I reset the Windows.
At first I associate that behaivor to my Laptop but then I see with defferent types of devices...Android phones, and both Windows 10 machine.

If i connect with my other router the connection increase the performance. the bad performance is connected to AC3100 and the coorect performance is connected to AC66U_B1 where I have poor signal and long distance from my AC3100 :S

UI2Nfpj.png

Last edited:
No. Allways default but then a restore backup.

Do a full reset to factory defaults including 'Initialize all settings' box checked. Afterward, make sure you format the JFFS partition on the next boot and make sure you hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page before you reboot it at least twice in the next 10 minutes or so.

Forget about your saved backup config file. That is what is causing you your issues. :)

Minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. The M&M Config found in the link in my signature below will guide you to best-practice defaults and other setup tips.

The bad setup information is also saved in that backup config file. Effectively negating any reset you are doing. Time to get your network back to a stable state by starting fresh. The Nuclear Reset may also be of use if the above isn't enough to get your network and router back to a good/known state.

HTH. :)

Do a full reset to factory defaults including 'Initialize all settings' box checked. Afterward, make sure you format the JFFS partition on the next boot and make sure you hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page before you reboot it at least twice in the next 10 minutes or so.

Forget about your saved backup config file. That is what is causing you your issues. :)

Minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. The M&M Config found in the link in my signature below will guide you to best-practice defaults and other setup tips.

The bad setup information is also saved in that backup config file. Effectively negating any reset you are doing. Time to get your network back to a stable state by starting fresh. The Nuclear Reset may also be of use if the above isn't enough to get your network and router back to a good/known state.

HTH. :)

Thanks! I've a lot script of JFFS partition. Also I other configuration for example assignment of IPs associated with MAC addresses in DHCP. It's is possible to backup from shell to restore after and not doing a lot of work?

After all configuration reset, It's required install again from zero the Entware System?

I've a doubt why if my previews config works fine after a firmware update the router have bad config?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
There are ways to save and restore some of the settings you're asking about, but if you want a stable router in the least possible time, re-doing them manually (if and only if they are needed on the new firmware) is my suggestion.

Unwanted inter-firmware interactions between new/old firmware, scripts, and other impossible to predict features and options that may or may not be used is a common reason to need a full reset.

What the full reset does is it applies the defaults the installed firmware expects. This isn't always the case when variables, options, and other internal pointers may change between one firmware version to another. Particularly when compounded with multiple upgrades and the almost unlimited potential for the combinations and permutations for things to go awry.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

HTH.

Last edited:
There are ways to save and restore some of the settings you're asking about, but if you want a stable router in the least possible time, re-doing them manually (if and only if they are needed on the new firmware) is my suggestion.

Unwanted inter-firmware interactions between new/old firmware, scripts, and other impossible to predict features and options that may or may not be used is a common reason to need a full reset.

What the full reset does is it applies the defaults the installed firmware expects. This isn't always the case when variables, options, and other internal pointers may change between one firmware version to another. Particularly when compounded with multiple upgrades and the almost unlimited potential for the combinations and permutations for things to go awry.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

HTH.

Again thanks! Tonight I will do the full factory default. The JFFS custom script is easy to backup them. Most of them are iptables rules, CIFS mount and other particular thins. Less than iptables scripts no change the behavior of the router.

The IP MAC association for my is great for shared mounted filesystems and for my Network Printer. I would like to know if exist some export to import on SSH method that could be more quickly to do that manually on web-gui interface.

If I understand you, it's recommended to do a fresh install of Entware, for that I use the new script provided. But I have a ruTorrent installed to use a Seedbox. How I can uninstall the Entware and ruTorrent but I need to don't loose my torrents downloaded and my session to continue sharing after the fresh install.

What new script to install Entware?

Sorry, I don't use torrents, so I can't be of help there.

What new script to install Entware?

Sorry, I don't use torrents, so I can't be of help there.

For me the new script is the using amtm, when I installed for first time on 2015 I used HQT Guide, for install entware-ng.

Ok for torrents but sure you maybe uninstall your version of Entware when do a firmware update with minimal config. How is the best way to do it? only remove the entware directory?
Thanks again!

I'd like to share:

Backup of my static IP --> After backup nvram (nvram show | sort > /mnt/sda1/nvram,bkp.date.txt) looking for the following strings: dhcp_staticlist, custom_clientlist, dhcp_hostnames and then create a new script to set nvram settings.
Backup of session rtorrent -> "/mnt/sda1/entware/etc/rtorrent" and copy entire session dir and rtorrent.conf. :)

For unistalling entware only mount my HDD in my Linux machine to remove entware directory.

My backup of nvram works! and my scripts works! but is not persistent. After a reboot the configuration is erase. How I can do persisten the information?

The network performance in my lan was improveed.