RT-AC3100 Self rebooting on 384.19

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Mensra

New Around Here
I have done a FULL factory reset and manually reentered all parameters. The unit will randomly reboot, sometimes 3 hours of runtime, sometimes 24 hours and everything in between. Here is a link to the log just prior to a reboot. I can't attach this file for some reason: https://app.box.com/s/5hbub0a6nw7btiznx1sgg85kb8946f63
All lights go out, full stop reboot.

Help!

Last edited:

joe scian

Very Senior Member
I have done a FULL factory reset and manually reentered all parameters. The unit will randomly reboot, sometimes 3 hours of runtime, sometimes 24 hours and everything in between. Here is a link to the log just prior to a reboot. I can't attach this file for some reason: https://app.box.com/s/5hbub0a6nw7btiznx1sgg85kb8946f63
All lights go out, full stop reboot.

Help!

seems just before each reboot you get a flood of dnsmasq errors "failed to send packet: operation not permitted" . So whether its dnsmasq itself or something internal causing dnsmasq to fail is not evident within the log. All you can do is do a factory reset - configure everything from scratch again - do not use a backup - and hope your problem is resolved. I noticed you tried that already- maybe do a WPS reset instead

Mensra

New Around Here
I did a 30 30 30 reset as well as a WPS reset. I’ve been searching my Network which has a lot of devices and found one that had multiple IP’s assigned to it according to a network monitoring appliance called a Fingbox I have. I have deactivated/removed that device from my Network. I’ll see what that does. My Fingbox was also reporting another DHCP server on the network which has disappeared when I shut off this other device. By the way the device with multiple IP‘s was an Amazon fire stick. Is it possible that a network device could cause a router crash? The main thread seems to be getting a SIGTERM which starts the reboot.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Try the following to get your router/network back to a good/known state. Note that the 30-30-30 reset doesn't work on Asus routers (it never has).

Fully Reset Router and Network

New M&M 2020

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

See the M&M Config in the link above for further notes.

Yes, it has been reported a few times that a client device can be the cause of a router crashing/rebooting. I would power down the entire network and add devices a few at a time, testing as you go.

The above suggestions may also help get rid of any old incompatibilities too.

Mensra

New Around Here
I reset it 3 times, 3 different ways. The one device that I thought was causing the problems has been off the network for 20 hours and there’s been no crash. Fingers crossed.