What's new

RT-AC3100 Self rebooting on 384.19

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mensra

Occasional Visitor
I have done a FULL factory reset and manually reentered all parameters. The unit will randomly reboot, sometimes 3 hours of runtime, sometimes 24 hours and everything in between. Here is a link to the log just prior to a reboot. I can't attach this file for some reason: https://app.box.com/s/5hbub0a6nw7btiznx1sgg85kb8946f63
All lights go out, full stop reboot.

Help!

Last edited:
I have done a FULL factory reset and manually reentered all parameters. The unit will randomly reboot, sometimes 3 hours of runtime, sometimes 24 hours and everything in between. Here is a link to the log just prior to a reboot. I can't attach this file for some reason: https://app.box.com/s/5hbub0a6nw7btiznx1sgg85kb8946f63
All lights go out, full stop reboot.

Help!

seems just before each reboot you get a flood of dnsmasq errors "failed to send packet: operation not permitted" . So whether its dnsmasq itself or something internal causing dnsmasq to fail is not evident within the log. All you can do is do a factory reset - configure everything from scratch again - do not use a backup - and hope your problem is resolved. I noticed you tried that already- maybe do a WPS reset instead

I did a 30 30 30 reset as well as a WPS reset. I’ve been searching my Network which has a lot of devices and found one that had multiple IP’s assigned to it according to a network monitoring appliance called a Fingbox I have. I have deactivated/removed that device from my Network. I’ll see what that does. My Fingbox was also reporting another DHCP server on the network which has disappeared when I shut off this other device. By the way the device with multiple IP‘s was an Amazon fire stick. Is it possible that a network device could cause a router crash? The main thread seems to be getting a SIGTERM which starts the reboot.

Try the following to get your router/network back to a good/known state. Note that the 30-30-30 reset doesn't work on Asus routers (it never has).

Fully Reset Router and Network

New M&M 2020

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

See the M&M Config in the link above for further notes.

Yes, it has been reported a few times that a client device can be the cause of a router crashing/rebooting. I would power down the entire network and add devices a few at a time, testing as you go.

The above suggestions may also help get rid of any old incompatibilities too.

I reset it 3 times, 3 different ways. The one device that I thought was causing the problems has been off the network for 20 hours and there’s been no crash. Fingers crossed.

I am running the most current release, and it has been doing this the whole time. I’ve tried upgrading a few times rebooting, reloading, re-initializing -reeverything! Sometimes it’ll run five or six days, sometimes two or three hours.

What procedure(s) do you use to fully reset your router/network? Point form, specific details ('most current release' doesn't mean anything), and complete, please. This may help us troubleshoot better/faster for you. :)

Current Version : 386.3_2
have reset with GUI factory default button with initialize all settings and clear data log option checked.
I have manually re-entered all parameters, there’s quite a few as my network is somewhat extensive.

Those 'manually entered parameters' should be expanded upon. Nobody here can read minds. :D

Did you also try formatting the JFFS partition too?

That first link in post 4 may be helpful here.

Wow. Lets see, I have reserved ip addresses, ports forwarded, ddns, ssl cert, firewall rules, vpn, usb apps, ai cloud and ai protection active. No qos because of more then adequate bandwidth (gigabit). And yes I did format the JFFS partition as well.

Firewall rules, VPN, USB apps, and Ai Cloud (why?). Great combinations for multiple issues. Details, please.

VPN is currently not in use, even though it’s configured, it is deactivated. USB apps in AI Cloud is for a Dropbox type system. Firewall rules are simply URL blocking.

Okay, but I give up. :)

Here is the latest crash log:
Mar 12 16:21:10 ntpd: Stopped ntpd
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: usb 1-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device using xhci_hcd and address 2
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep 9d9aec60
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep 9d9aec8c
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: disable burst on ep 2
Mar 12 16:21:41 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN no SS endpoint bMaxBurst
Mar 12 16:21:43 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 12 16:21:43 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Mar 12 16:21:43 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 12 16:21:43 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 12 16:21:43 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
Mar 12 16:21:45 WEBDAV_Server: daemon is stopped
Mar 12 16:21:45 Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
Mar 12 16:21:45 Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
Mar 12 16:21:45 syslog: Got SIGTERM
Mar 12 16:21:46 Mastiff: Select error

Without seeing more of the log to understand the context all we can say is that part of the log shows there was a hardware problem communicating with the USB drive.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!