What's new

RT-AC5300 DHCP Limit and Lost Hostnames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Atreides Modi

Occasional Visitor
Been paining through migration from RT-AC3100 to RT-AC5300. After several failures restore nvram & jffs settings from original router, I decide to clean install and selectively migrate stuff over. Both old and new devices are on 384.13. Two issues I note after the selective migration: DHCL max limit shows 128 and HOSTNAMES are all gone. I've been searching a while and not finding feedback on these; well certainly not the limit issue at least.

As for hostnames, I thought that Merlin moved what was the nvram setting for dhcp_hostnames to a file in jffs - but the backup of jffs does not appear to contain this. At least, after restoring jffs I cannot find anything containing hostnames. Wondering where I should be looking, or a method for building a list to import / load.

On the dhcp limit, it's my understanding the RT-AC5300 has limit of 253, but on the dhcp reservations page it's showing 128. If indeed the max should be 253, the only thing I could think of that might have botched that would be nvram set of my old dhcp_* variables (e.g. staticlist). I don't see any of those setting the value to something other than 253, if indeed it can be changed via nvram. Ideas's on this?

Cheers

Been paining through migration from RT-AC3100 to RT-AC5300. After several failures restore nvram & jffs settings from original router, I decide to clean install and selectively migrate stuff over. Both old and new devices are on 384.13. Two issues I note after the selective migration: DHCL max limit shows 128 and HOSTNAMES are all gone. I've been searching a while and not finding feedback on these; well certainly not the limit issue at least.

As for hostnames, I thought that Merlin moved what was the nvram setting for dhcp_hostnames to a file in jffs - but the backup of jffs does not appear to contain this. At least, after restoring jffs I cannot find anything containing hostnames. Wondering where I should be looking, or a method for building a list to import / load.

On the dhcp limit, it's my understanding the RT-AC5300 has limit of 253, but on the dhcp reservations page it's showing 128. If indeed the max should be 253, the only thing I could think of that might have botched that would be nvram set of my old dhcp_* variables (e.g. staticlist). I don't see any of those setting the value to something other than 253, if indeed it can be changed via nvram. Ideas's on this?

Cheers
This thread and utility should be helpful with this. I think the limit now is on characters not the full names of dhcp clients, This utility lets you check that.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dhcp_staticlist-and-dhcp_hostnames-utility.58957/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!