What's new

Segmentation Fault message after entering long string into nvram (static leases)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aziron5

Occasional Visitor
Hello

As we know there is a hardcoded "hardware" limit of 1032 characters that the nvram command will take from terminal, at least the low-to-mid end broadcom routers, which makes programmatical input of long dhcp_staticlist entries impossible unless a trick such as referencing a file is used.

However, with longer strings inside that text file, and right now I forgot how long does it have to be, there is a segmentation fault message after applying the command, but otherwise nothing else.

I'm not actually exceeding the 64 lease entry limit in any of the cases, nor the merlins's 2999 limit, but long hostnames can add up in character count so the file does contain more than 1032 characters (around 1400)

I have a new router (RT-AX86U_PRO) and I thought of slimming things down to have a lower character count for the final string, but since this segmentation fault is still a mystery I'm hesitant to go and experiment on the new router, I'd rather make sure it's not overflowing or overriding anything else, causing unforseeen side-effects.

Could someone, or how would I investigate this issue, perhaps debugging the config save file (which seems encoded / hex)?

Finally, from the GUI and the practical experience, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

On the other hand, is it worth investigating this at all and rather just move to use the YazDHCPD with dnsmasq solution? Or it has some downsides?

Ref1: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/set-manual-ips-via-nvram-dhcp_staticlist.48801/
Ref2: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...mit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/