1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 DHCP Limit and Lost Hostnames

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Atreides Modi, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Atreides Modi

Atreides Modi Occasional Visitor

Been paining through migration from RT-AC3100 to RT-AC5300. After several failures restore nvram & jffs settings from original router, I decide to clean install and selectively migrate stuff over. Both old and new devices are on 384.13. Two issues I note after the selective migration: DHCL max limit shows 128 and HOSTNAMES are all gone. I've been searching a while and not finding feedback on these; well certainly not the limit issue at least.

As for hostnames, I thought that Merlin moved what was the nvram setting for dhcp_hostnames to a file in jffs - but the backup of jffs does not appear to contain this. At least, after restoring jffs I cannot find anything containing hostnames. Wondering where I should be looking, or a method for building a list to import / load.

On the dhcp limit, it's my understanding the RT-AC5300 has limit of 253, but on the dhcp reservations page it's showing 128. If indeed the max should be 253, the only thing I could think of that might have botched that would be nvram set of my old dhcp_* variables (e.g. staticlist). I don't see any of those setting the value to something other than 253, if indeed it can be changed via nvram. Ideas's on this?

Cheers

2. Butterfly Bones

Butterfly Bones Very Senior Member

This thread and utility should be helpful with this. I think the limit now is on characters not the full names of dhcp clients, This utility lets you check that.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dhcp_staticlist-and-dhcp_hostnames-utility.58957/

3. Atreides Modi

Atreides Modi Occasional Visitor

@Butterfly Bones - Huzzah! Solved and solved:). Thanks for the quick and most helpful info.

Butterfly Bones likes this.