What's new

RT-ac5300 dhcp pain

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roofone

New Around Here
Hi,

Need some help please…

I recently totally reset my router to try and get more speed with my new gigabit WAN. I also changed to a 10.0.0.x LAN IP scheme (no reason, other than I like typing in 10 more than 192).

Issue: my DHCP server is assigning IPs within the reserved IP pool range. E.g., I have the first 50 IP addresses reserved for static assignments, but the router keeps randomly giving out a few of these reserved IP addresses to random dynamic clients.

These devices were working fine, never had a static IP, and had a address in the dynamic range as expected. Then, I assume when their lease expires, they get a new one (not the lowest available one, but close to the front). (The painful part is that they can’t access the Internet…I think because their gateway doesn’t get set correctly.)

Specs: RT-5300, latest Merlin, 2 AI modes (working fine), no other DHCP servers on the LAN, rebooted multiple times.

I’m at a loss — any suggestions?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

Need some help please…

I recently totally reset my router to try and get more speed with my new gigabit WAN. I also changed to a 10.0.0.x LAN IP scheme (no reason, other than I like typing in 10 more than 192).

Issue: my DHCP server is assigning IPs within the reserved IP pool range. E.g., I have the first 50 IP addresses reserved for static assignments, but the router keeps randomly giving out a few of these reserved IP addresses to random dynamic clients.

These devices were working fine, never had a static IP, and had a address in the dynamic range as expected. Then, I assume when their lease expires, they get a new one (not the lowest available one, but close to the front). (The painful part is that they can’t access the Internet…I think because their gateway doesn’t get set correctly.)

Specs: RT-5300, latest Merlin, 2 AI modes (working fine), no other DHCP servers on the LAN, rebooted multiple times.

I’m at a loss — any suggestions?

Thank you.

Try going back to 192.168 to see if the issue stops. If so, call it a firmware defect(?).

OE

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m afraid you may be right, but I’m trying to avoid that — it will cause a few hours of reconfiguring my smart home hub.

May try re-hard resetting my router first. That’s only -30 mins of pain…

What subnet mask are you using? Because of the limitations of the router you should use 255.255.255.0

What subnet mask are you using? Because of the limitations of the router you should use 255.255.255.0
I am (despite using the class A non-routable).

I suppose I could reduce the size of the static pool and make sure it’s totally filled up with assigned addresses. Doesn’t really solve the root issue though.

I don’t understand why it’s assigning them in the middle of the range.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m afraid you may be right, but I’m trying to avoid that — it will cause a few hours of reconfiguring my smart home hub.

May try re-hard resetting my router first. That’s only -30 mins of pain…

I would have suggested the firmware reset to defaults (for lack of a better idea), but you said you already did that.

To be clear, set the router DHCP server IP pool to include its dynamic and manually-assigned IPs, and to exclude the static IPs you assign on individual clients.

OE

To be clear, set the router DHCP server IP pool to include its dynamic and manually-assigned IPs, and to exclude the static IPs you assign on individual clients.

Yep. Config below. The device's that get the "rogue" IP addresses always start with 10.0.0.13 (I've cleared out the last two this happened with, so just marking it with the the red line now). Bizarre. I'll try resetting again (and re-doing the M&M set up)...or may just upgrade to the AX88.

Thanks for your help -- appreciate it.

1639337229483.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!