What's new

RT-AC5300 with AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
Ever since I bought my Asus router, I've been using it with an Asus RP-AC56 (just as an oldfashioned Access Point device).

My understanding is if I use a "mesh" network, I won't need to switch between SSID's while still extending wifi signal at my home (which exactly what I want).

1. Is this possible to do AiMesh with my RT-AC5300?

2. If so, what would be the most affordable device I can buy to use "AiMesh" with my RT-AC5300 router?

3. How do I configure my Asus RT-AC5300 to use AiMesh with the device I'll need in my second question?

PS: I'm using Merlin firmware currently.

Thanks so much in advance!

Ever since I bought my Asus router, I've been using it with an Asus RP-AC56 (just as an oldfashioned Access Point device).

My understanding is if I use a "mesh" network, I won't need to switch between SSID's while still extending wifi signal at my home (which exactly what I want).

2. If so, what would be the most affordable device I can buy to use "AiMesh" with my RT-AC5300 router?

3. How do I configure my Asus RT-AC5300 to use AiMesh with the device I'll need in my second question?

Thanks so much in advance!

1. Read about AiMesh:
https://www.asus.com/us/AiMesh/.

2. See 1. and research prices for your chosen node router and preferred supplier.

3. Read the AiMesh install FAQ:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

PS. Merlin does not support AiMesh:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/

OE

Thanks for the quick reply. Edit. I was going to go with the most affordable device that supported Smart Connect... but, it looks like people are having issues with it enabled (to switch dynamically). I "think" I'll be fine getting the RT-AC66U B1 for $130 each.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Edit. I was going to go with the most affordable device that supported Smart Connect... but, it looks like people are having issues with it enabled (to switch dynamically). I "think" I'll be fine getting the RT-AC66U B1 for $130 each.

The AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 firmware does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you would likely need to use separate SSIDs for the two WiFi bands.

Consider the 86U, if you can get it on sale... maybe a holiday sale is coming up.

OE

Thank you so much. The whole reason I wanted to switch to AiMesh is to have a single SSID. In fact, I'm willing to sacrifice the Merlin firmware on my router to get AiMesh with Smart Connect.

Are there any issues with Smart Connect that I need to know about before getting the 86U? Is it as good as it sounds on paper?

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you so much. The whole reason I wanted to switch to AiMesh is to have a single SSID. In fact, I'm willing to sacrifice the Merlin firmware on my router to get AiMesh with Smart Connect.

Are there any issues with Smart Connect that I need to know about before getting the 86U? Is it as good as it sounds on paper?

The 5300 is tri-band. The 86U is dual-band. IF you wanted to spend big, you could go with tri-band nodes for a dedicated wireless backhaul. I have no experience with this. I suspect it complicates the trial of AiMesh, perhaps partly due to AiMesh and partly due to the 5300... but I don't know. And I suspect a dedicated backhaul is not necessary with modest residential WiFi traffic.

Smart Connect with default settings appears to work for my low usage and clients. I would not know how to adjust the settings to tweak Smart Connect... they are not consumer approachable (but I'd give it a go if I had to).

IF you enable Smart Connect, then wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If you like to making these settings yourself, perhaps to manage your use of the radio spectrum in the presence of other users/signals, using Smart Connect will no longer permit this. If NOT using Smart Connect, then you will likely want/need to use separate SSIDs.

Guest networks are not supported on nodes... yet.

OE

1. Yes... I'm currently using RT-AC5300 with 2 RT_AC68U as nodes
2. They sell a double pack of AC68U on amazon (presumably for this reason)... I had an old RT-AC68U and bought two more. My network was unstable with 3 RC-AC68U nodes though, and have yet to figure out exactly why - will keep trying :)

Yeah you have to give up Merlin (for now at least) which was sad... I haven't tried with Smart Connect; it is unclear what is or is not supported with the RT-AC68U and/or AiMesh

Hello, if you set up the AI-MESH what configuration did you go with? I was not happy to find out it only extends out the Main Wireless LAN and not the guest LAN's which I feel you might as well just extend the network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!