What's new

RT-AC66U intermittent internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josephl

New Around Here
Hello! I recently joined these forums in the hope that I can get my router's unreliable connection resolved. I had bought this modem about 1.5 years ago and I desperately need a reliable connection for work. I have updated the router's firmware to 3.0.0.4.385_20630-ged5e4c3. I changed the bandwidth to 5GHz and set the control channel to 48 to make sure there's no interference. I am not certain why my connection keeps going out. My range is good but the internet will just time out randomly. If there is any other information I need to provide to help resolve my issue, I'd be more than happy to help. Thanks!

Does this only happen on 5GHz? What about 2.4GHz and wired connections?

Are there any messages in the router's System Log at the time the problem occurs?

It happens on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I can't test to see if it occurs with a wired connection because my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. Here is the log:

At what time in the log did the problem occur?

Does it only effect your laptop, what about other devices?

Is this a new problem or has it always done this?

I would say the problem started happening a few weeks ago. It unfortunately affects all devices. It used to not do this at all. That being said, I did a system reset and the problem still persisted.

I would say the problem started happening a few weeks ago. It unfortunately affects all devices. It used to not do this at all. That being said, I did a system reset and the problem still persisted.
If nothing had changed on your router then we'd have to assume it's not a router issue. On the other hand if it coincided with a firmware upgrade that would likely be the cause.

There are lots of posts reporting the same sort of problem and the same sort of messages in the log (although that could be coincidental). Some users have reported that doing a factory reset and "forgetting" the SSID on the client appeared to have fixed the problem.

So even though you said you did a reset I suggest you do a hard WPS reset and then manually configure it again (i.e. don't reload a saved settings file ). Then forget the SSID on your client and create a new connection profile.

If you still have the problem I would then suggest you reload a firmware version from before you experienced the problem (followed by another factory reset of course).

If nothing had changed on your router then we'd have to assume it's not a router issue. On the other hand if it coincided with a firmware upgrade that would likely be the cause.

There are lots of posts reporting the same sort of problem and the same sort of messages in the log (although that could be coincidental). Some users have reported that doing a factory reset and "forgetting" the SSID on the client appeared to have fixed the problem.

So even though you said you did a reset I suggest you do a hard WPS reset and then manually configure it again (i.e. don't reload a saved settings file ). Then forget the SSID on your client and create a new connection profile.

If you still have the problem I would then suggest you reload a firmware version from before you experienced the problem (followed by another factory reset of course).
That fixed the problem. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!