What's new

RT-AC66U - troubles with WD MyBook drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fw85

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm trying to make my 3TB WD MyBook (not MyBookLive) work as a network shared drive.
I'm using the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (tried the same on stock firmware - same effect).

Now at first, I enabled Samba share and that works just fine in every way, no problems at all.

Then I wanted to look into configuring FTP as well, so I registered on NO-IP, created my DDNS domain, set everything up in the router's DDNS settings (the router is behind a modem as well so I just quickly manually linked my public IP address to the DDNS hostname before messing with some scripts to make it dynamic), opened ports 20,21 and voila - everything worked... until it didn't.

The router (or more specifically, the FTP daemon) seems to have a problem with my HDD's standby mode, which it enters after 15 minutes (or so) of inactivity and stops spinning.

If I reboot my router, the FTP daemon starts and keeps running as long as the HDD is spinning. Then as soon as it goes to standby mode, it just says 'FTP Server: daemon is stopped' and never starts again until I either manually reboot the router, or toggle the FTP service on/off.

Can anyone please try to make out what went wrong here?
Why does the FTP daemon seem to have such a problem with this (re-mounting the HDD I presume), while the Samba Server just starts back up again and works fine?

Now I know, I've read that the MyBook drives weren't originally designed to be connected to servers and that's what the Live ones are for etc etc, but there has to be some way to make this work nonetheless.

Code:
Jan 27 19:05:12 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
Jan 27 19:05:12 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Jan 27 19:05:12 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:1: Enclosure         WD       SES Device       1019 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jan 27 19:05:12 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 13
Jan 27 19:05:12 usb: USB /dev/sda1(ntfs) failed to mount At the first try!
Jan 27 19:05:12 kernel: ufsd: use builtin utf8 instead of kernel utf8
Jan 27 19:05:19 kernel: ufsd: sda1 without journal
Jan 27 19:05:19 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/My_Book.
Jan 27 19:05:19 rc_service: hotplug 481:notify_rc restart_nasapps
Jan 27 19:05:19 FTP Server: daemon is stopped
Jan 27 19:05:19 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jan 27 19:05:19 miniupnpd[466]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 27 19:05:19 Samba Server: daemon is started

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!