What's new

RT-AC66U x2 media bridge and wireless clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
I have two RT-AC66U units, one as my primary router, one configured as a media bridge, using the AC band as the connection. Everything seems to be working correctly. Running the newest Merlin beta firmware on the bridge unit.

I've been searching for current information on what settings and/or alternate firmwares will allow me to connect 2.4 N wireless clients to the bridge unit at full bandwidth for extended wireless coverage while dedicating my AC connection between the bridge and router. From what I can gather, it seems like it was once possible with the official firmware and/ or Merlin, but now it's not. Is that correct?

If I'm understanding correctly, DD-WRT has something they call "wireless bridge", but with a bandwidth penalty, so not sure how that's different from normal repeater mode.

Is what I'm trying to do possible all within the AC66U? Or do I have to hook up my old RT-N13U N router to the bridge as an access point?

Last edited:
I have two RT-AC66U units, one as my primary router, one configured as a media bridge, using the AC band as the connection. Everything seems to be working correctly. Running the newest Merlin beta firmware on the bridge unit.

I've been searching for current information on what settings and/or alternate firmwares will allow me to connect 2.4 N wireless clients to the bridge unit at full bandwidth for extended wireless coverage while dedicating my AC connection between the bridge and router. From what I can gather, it seems like it was once possible with the official firmware and/ or Merlin, but now it's not. Is that correct?

If I'm understanding correctly, DD-WRT has something they call "wireless bridge", but with a bandwidth penalty, so not sure how that's different from normal repeater mode.

Is what I'm trying to do possible all within the AC66U? Or do I have to hook up my old RT-N13U N router to the bridge as an access point?

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

Hope this helps. I've only ever had to use Client Bridge a long long time ago. I'm currently using DD-WRT right now, as Merlin FW gives me some problems for games, and I've yet to receive a response on how to go about fixing it. It's perfectly fine and stable for me using the build they have for it 30631.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

Hope this helps. I've only ever had to use Client Bridge a long long time ago. I'm currently using DD-WRT right now, as Merlin FW gives me some problems for games, and I've yet to receive a response on how to go about fixing it. It's perfectly fine and stable for me using the build they have for it 30631.

Thanks for the link and note. I ended up installing Tomato (shibby) and it enables the separate media bridge+AP functionality that I was looking for. Unfortunately, my connection rates nosedived more than I was looking for. So I'm still looking around, trying different things, but it's good to know that there's at least one option that works.

Thanks for the link and note. I ended up installing Tomato (shibby) and it enables the separate media bridge+AP functionality that I was looking for. Unfortunately, my connection rates nosedived more than I was looking for. So I'm still looking around, trying different things, but it's good to know that there's at least one option that works.

Which wireless band are you using for media bridge and which for AP? This makes a big difference too.

Try switching it. I only say that because 5 GHz can be unstable at long distances, and is more subject to interference through walls. 2.4 GHz has no problem with this.

I'll give it a go, but using one of the Merlin firmwares gives me a link rate of about 450 mbps (+/- 100) on 5 GHz, while the default Tomato connection was about half that.

What is your max internet speed?
Speedtest reports the current download speed at 88.72Mbps (paying for 75) and upload at 6.08Mbps. I'm more concerned about network transfer speeds, however, since I'm using a NAS to deliver movies and audio to multiple devices via Plex. NAS is connected to the bridge.

For what it's worth, I've got a Buffalo 5GHz AC bridge in the same room as the router that connects at 1053Mbps at about 25', direct line of site. The second AC66U is about 50' down a hallway with a couple of walls between here and there. Twice the distance and half the rate seems okay to me.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!