What's new

RT-AC66U_B1 nutty issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ReyAce

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm running a RT-AC66U_B1 (currently with 384.9 installed) that's experiencing a weird issue that I thought you might want to be aware of. The issue isn't limited to 384.9 either, it's done it for as long as I can remember, I've just worked around the issue.

The naming convention for my network is MT-xx, and the DNS record for the router was subsequently named MT-R1. (The router is also named this in its config.)

When using this DNS name, the router is accessible over the LAN via the browser, however when attempting to actually log in to the router, it won't accept a login. It simply refreshes the page with blank fields/boxes.

But if I change the DNS record to MT-ROUTER1 let's say, (or MrPotatoHead, which was tried successfully), the logins occur with no problem whatsoever.

This has been duplicated on multiple machines and multiple browsers, all with the same results - using MT-R1 as the DNS entry will just not allow a login.

It's an easily worked around issue, but I thought you'd like to know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought I’d been going mad!
One of my access points is called JDB-AP and it does the same thing. Now I think of it all my other Asus routers have longer names and don’t have the issue.
I’ve just been going to the IP but I’ll just give it a longer name now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. My AC66U_B1 has a 5 character name. I have always used the IP address or router.asus.com to log in. Just tried to get too it by the name and it worked!
Maybe you should not use a dash in the name?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Must be a combination of short and a dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk