What's new

RT-AC68U 13.2 update fails almost immediately...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dudeman

New Around Here
I'm trying to install the latest 386.13_2 update to my RT-AC68U router. It takes about 30 seconds on the applying settings screen and then immediately goes to the "Firmware update unsuccessful." message. It thentakes about two minutes to reboot.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, how did you remedy?

Thanks in advance.

And a big 'Thank You' to Merlin for all the hard work and dedication you have given this project over the years...you rock!

Is
I'm trying to install the latest 386.13_2 update to my RT-AC68U router. It takes about 30 seconds on the applying settings screen and then immediately goes to the "Firmware update unsuccessful." message. It thentakes about two minutes to reboot.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, how did you remedy?
Is your RT-AC68U by chance a T-Mobile branded TM-AC1900 router? If so did you properly jailbreak the T-Mobile router including performing the MTD5 fix? If one doesn't perform the MTD5 fix on the TM-AC1900 they may be prevented from updating to later Asus or Asus-Merlin firmware.

What firmware are you updating from?

If you don't have a TM-AC1900 router then try some of the following basic troubleshooting steps, if you haven't already.
  • Ensure you have downloaded the correct firmware for the router, check the hash for the file if possible to ensure the file is not corrupted
  • Try a different web browser
  • Clear the web browser cache
  • Try a different computer
  • Reboot the router
  • Use a computer directly connected by Ethernet to the router when performing the firmware update
  • Disconnect any attached USB storage devices from the router before performing the firmware update
  • Disconnect all other devices (including WiFi devices) from the router before performing the firmware update
  • Try performing a hard factory reset, then perform an initial configuration to get into the router GUI, then try flashing the firmware update

Last edited:
The 386.13_2 update is for the RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900 only.
Yep, totally forgot that the 386.13_2 is only for two routers and the RT-AC68U isn't one of them. @Dudeman should confirm they are downloading the latest correct firmware file (RT-AC68U_386.13_0.zip) for their RT-AC68U router.
Asuswrt-Merlin is now available for all supported Wifi 5 devices.

EDIT: 26-April-2024 - 386.13_2 has been released for the RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900, addressing a security issue in IPSEC (which isn't supported by the other Wifi 5 models).

Changes since 386.13_0:
Code:
386.13_2 (26-Apr-2024)
  - NOTE: This release is only available for the RT-AC86U
          and GT-AC2900.
  - UPDATED: strongswan to 5.9.13 (fixes CVE-2023-41913)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!