What's new

[RT-AC68U] 380.62_1 - Crashing often.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

UseAsDirected

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

I've been googling it and I've been searching around but I am having issues... I'm not sure what else to do.

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest and cleared NVRAM, cooled down the router to ensure it wasn't overheating but it continues to crash and often.

I thought maybe the NTP server was having issues because it crashes and goes to another date but I set my works NTP server and it's still having issues.

I've been able to work around the issue (use workaround loosely) by telneting in from my cell phone and rebooting the router.

Looking at the log, it appears as if you are having issues with your isp and dhcp from them. If you post more specifics about your setup/connection you may get some help.

Looking at the log, it appears as if you are having issues with your isp and dhcp from them. If you post more specifics about your setup/connection you may get some help.
Hello evh909,

Thank you for the reply. You are 100% correct...From the logs, where did you see something that pointed to DHCP? I would like to learn so I am not such a noob. I have fiber internet ran directly to my house.

Note from my ISP:
We are aware of a problem this afternoon which is affecting a limited number of customers who recently switched to DHCP protocol. This appears to be the result of one of the DHCP servers not communicating correctly with the Calix ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the outside of some customer homes. If you are experiencing issues at home, please call our tech support at * so we can remotely refresh your ONT.

I very much appreciate you pointing me in the right direction and any guidance you can provide so I can learn :)

I see the following entries in your log:
Aug 1 00:00:20 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Oct 3 02:57:04 miniupnpd[761]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping

As well as several other dhcp errors. Btw, you shouldn't really allow telnet to your router, should really only use ssh. Did calling your ISP resolve the issue you were having?

I see the following entries in your log:
Aug 1 00:00:20 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Oct 3 02:57:04 miniupnpd[761]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping

As well as several other dhcp errors. Btw, you shouldn't really allow telnet to your router, should really only use ssh. Did calling your ISP resolve the issue you were having?

Thank you for the bit of information. I appreciate the help! I have disabled telnet and enabled SSH. Yes, they do not have a permanent fix yet but they have remotely refresh my ONT...We will see if this fixes the issue but it makes me happy that it's not a faulty router / I made a mistake when I downgraded it from the t-mobile firmware. I have really enjoyed the Merlin firmware!

When I mentioned it kept crashing my router they said it will do that :p

I know it doesn't go to you but for the help I did support Merlin and donated some money :)

Thanks again @evh909

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!