What's new

RT-AC68U.....380.69_2 vs 384.3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

voyto

Occasional Visitor
Looking to install Merlin onto my AC68U and assumed the 384.3 stable build would be the best starting point for me.

However, when I goto the sourceforge site it seems 99% are going for the legacy version...

384.3_0 - 0 Downloads
380.69_2 - 4689 Downloads

Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe just a mistake at sourceforge? I downloaded the 384.3_0 last week there... So it should have been at least 1...

I updated to 384.3 the other day on my 88U and seems OK so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourceforge download counters haven't been updating since they migrated datacenter.

Also, 69_2 got more downloads because it's been available for much longer.

I'm considering upgrading from 380.69_2 to 384.3 but there's a notification advising to do a factory reset first.

If I do this, can I make a backup on 380.69 then restore my settings onto 384.3?

Normally this shouldn't be a problem but there's not normally a warning to factory reset first either.

Thanks

If changing code bases (380.x to 384.x) - its always better to do a factory reset - and then reconfigure by hand, vs importing your saved settings. If you have a lot of customization, try looking at the NVRAM settings utility thread if you want to give that a try.

As my AC68U takes care of the VPN I overclock my router. From what I understand, the new bootloader prevent overclocking....So I'll stay on 380.x untilsomeone finds a workaround (or until VPN speed increases due to improvements).

>removed typo; I have a AC68U not a AC86U...

Last edited:
As my AC86U takes care of the VPN I overclock my router. From what I understand, the new bootloader prevent overclocking....So I'll stay on 380.x untilsomeone finds a workaround (or until VPN speed increases due to improvements).

There's no 380.xx release for the RT-AC86U.

I've been trying to upgrade my RT-AC68U from 380.69_2 to 384.3 and it won't update. It gives me an error every time. I've verified the sha256 of the image (.w file) and it matches. Can I not upgrade over Wi-Fi? I've done so before with a previous release.

I was able to attempt the upgrade with an ethernet cable (wi-fi turned off on my laptop) and had the same error. This is a t-mobile version of the AC-68U which I flashed to official asus firmware 6 months ago and then switched to merlin just a few months back. I had no problems with any of the previous upgrades and I've done several of them. Not sure if this problem is specific to the T-Mobile variants or all ac-68U's.

I've been trying to upgrade my RT-AC68U from 380.69_2 to 384.3 and it won't update. It gives me an error every time. I've verified the sha256 of the image (.w file) and it matches.
You are using the wrong firmware! The AC68U uses .trx files the AC86U uses .w files.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!