What's new

RT-AC68U - AiMesh and Ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChrisF60526

Occasional Visitor
All-

I have a legacy RT-AC68U that i had been running with a older RT-AC66U in AP mode. Worked pretty good. I was able to acquire another RT-AC68U and experimenting with AiMesh. That has been working good as well.

That being said, I was looking to optimize the connection and turned on Ehternet Backhaul and it knocked my child node offline..

Is there an issue with the latest firmware and ethernet backhaul with the RT-AC68U? I have seen some chatter on Reddit about it but not sure why the option is available if it is broken. Anyone know anything about this?

All-

I have a legacy RT-AC68U that i had been running with a older RT-AC66U in AP mode. Worked pretty good. I was able to acquire another RT-AC68U and experimenting with AiMesh. That has been working good as well.

That being said, I was looking to optimize the connection and turned on Ehternet Backhaul and it knocked my child node offline..

Is there an issue with the latest firmware and ethernet backhaul with the RT-AC68U? I have seen some chatter on Reddit about it but not sure why the option is available if it is broken. Anyone know anything about this?

Is the "acquired" AC68U a healthy, current firmware and reset router?

Is there a switch in the wired backhaul?

What is the status of the wired backhaul LAN port connection in the router webUI? 1 Gbps?

Did you set the node connection priority to '1G WAN first'?

OE

Is the "acquired" AC68U a healthy, current firmware and reset router?

Is there a switch in the wired backhaul?

What is the status of the wired backhaul LAN port connection in the router webUI? 1 Gbps?

Did you set the node connection priority to '1G WAN first'?

OE

Ozark. Noticed the link in your sig below on the AIMesh 2.0 beta. Seems active? Before i respond, should i move this thread there?

Ozark. Noticed the link in your sig below on the AIMesh 2.0 beta. Seems active? Before i respond, should i move this thread there?

Only if you are using RC2-* beta firmware and you believe your issue is a defect in said firmware. Otherwise, I would not bother.

OE

OK. Two working AC68Us. Factory reset. There is a 1gbps switch in the middle to handle the run to the other part of the house.

AIMesh set up wirelessly initially, moved to other room and connected cable to WAN port on the child router. Changed the connection protity to 'ethernet first' as that's the only way the child router was seen. (assuming b/c of switch)

AIMesh reports 'wired connection at great quality'. Everything looks and works great at 1gbps.

It's when I go to the 'System settings' on the root node and select 'Ethernet Backhaul Mode' that the issues start. Everything applies, the child node goes offline and AiMesh loses the connection.

Reboot the child node to reestablsh connection with no luck. Reset the child node to factory reset and re add.

That's where I am at. Thanks in advance!

1610046194048.png

OK. Two working AC68Us. Factory reset. There is a 1gbps switch in the middle to handle the run to the other part of the house.

AIMesh set up wirelessly initially, moved to other room and connected cable to WAN port on the child router. Changed the connection protity to 'ethernet first' as that's the only way the child router was seen. (assuming b/c of switch)

AIMesh reports 'wired connection at great quality'. Everything looks and works great at 1gbps.

It's when I go to the 'System settings' on the root node and select 'Ethernet Backhaul Mode' that the issues start. Everything applies, the child node goes offline and AiMesh loses the connection.

Reboot the child node to reestablsh connection with no luck. Reset the child node to factory reset and re add.

View attachment 29197

AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes

Try same without the switch... temporarily move the node to the switch location. Also add a system reboot.

OE

View attachment 29197
i have the same issues

This bit might be the issue, thanks for the redirection:
  • This time, plug a LAN port from your main router (do not go through a switch) to the WAN port of the AiMesh Node you want to add.
  • Search and add it. This should work.
  • Wait for at least 15 minutes after the node is added and has fully rebooted before you turn it off and move it to where you want it to be.
I have a gb switch connected up so i will do the above and see if it rectifies the backhaul

I'l give this a shot when i can take the internet down without the family knowing. These nodes were hard reset before meshing them.

After a week with AiMesh, I'm lukewarm to it. I have noticed what appears to be more 'deadspots in my home. I'll see my phone lose the wifi signal and jump to LTE and them pick wifi back up. Also, with wifi calling, as i roam around the house, i can hear the call drop.

What i am saying is is that i thought that this would be better than my router and a hardwired AC68U (as an ap) but at this point i am not convinced on this. I am sure it'll get better.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the backhaul without the switch and see what happens.

This is my config now (minus the second AIMesh node)

1610075471698.png

I'l give this a shot when i can take the internet down without the family knowing. These nodes were hard reset before meshing them.

After a week with AiMesh, I'm lukewarm to it. I have noticed what appears to be more 'deadspots in my home. I'll see my phone lose the wifi signal and jump to LTE and them pick wifi back up. Also, with wifi calling, as i roam around the house, i can hear the call drop.

What i am saying is is that i thought that this would be better than my router and a hardwired AC68U (as an ap) but at this point i am not convinced on this. I am sure it'll get better.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the backhaul without the switch and see what happens.

This is my config now (minus the second AIMesh node)

View attachment 29217

The WiFi coverage with two AC68Us should be about the same whether AP mode or AiMesh.

Are you using different SSIDs for each band?

OE

The WiFi coverage with two AC68Us should be about the same whether AP mode or AiMesh.

Are you using different SSIDs for each band?

OE

This turns out to be an issue with ethernet backhaul and a switch. Removing the switch from the path and plugging the mesh node into the root node and enabling Ethernet backhaul worked fine.

Unfortunately, I need the switch in place for the long run to the living room. Once ethernetbackhaul gets turned on with the switch in place, the root node loses all contact with the child node.

This turns out to be an issue with ethernet backhaul and a switch. Removing the switch from the path and plugging the mesh node into the root node and enabling Ethernet backhaul worked fine.

Unfortunately, I need the switch in place for the long run to the living room. Once ethernetbackhaul gets turned on with the switch in place, the root node loses all contact with the child node.

Disable the routing bits in the old AC66U and try using its LAN switch in the wired backhaul path.

OE

So use the old 66U as the switch? How do you disable the routing bits?

Yes. Try... disable LAN\DHCP server, assign an available static LAN\IP address in case that matters, and disable Wireless\Professional\WiFi radios. See if that lets you use the LAN ports as just a switch.

OE

New switch and same issue. Loos like a bug when using a switch. Not a huge deal and I'm not sure how you could even measure the impact of turning this feature on. Probably fixed in a future firmware update and I'll try it again then.

Screenshot of what happens when I turn it on:

1610204489025.png

New switch and same issue. Loos like a bug when using a switch. Not a huge deal and I'm not sure how you could even measure the impact of turning this feature on. Probably fixed in a future firmware update and I'll try it again then.

Screenshot of what happens when I turn it on:

View attachment 29264

What make/model switches?

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!