What's new

RT-AC68U - AiMesh or AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
I've successfully set up two AC68s as AiMesh and it appears to work fine, with much better WiFi speeds upstairs as the mesh node AC68 is in the attic where it can get hot in summer, but according to the digital thermometer that lives in there, is no warmer than 38 degrees celsius.

Now I know I can monitor the router temperature via the web UI but this only works for the main router - I can't view the full web UI for the mesh mode AC68 but can only see network information for the mesh node from the main router's web UI, so I've wondered whether I'd be better off setting up the second AC68 as an access point so that can can connect to it's full web UI and keep an eye on temperatures that way.

I suppose I could put the main router in the attic and the mesh node downstairs and be able to monitor the main router's temps, but I'd prefer to keep the older router in the loft.

What's my best bet? If I set up the second AC68 as an AP, can I use the same SSIDs as for the main router?

Last edited:
I've successfully set up two AC68s as AiMesh and it appears to work fine, with much better WiFi speeds upstairs as the mesh node AC68 is in the loft/attic where it can get hot in summer, but according to the digital thermometer that lives in there, is no warmer than 38 degrees celsius.

Now I know I can monitor the router temperature via the web UI but this only works for the main router - I can't view the full web UI for the mesh mode AC68 but can only see network information for the mesh node from the main router's web UI, so I've wondered whether I'd be better off setting up the second AC68 as an access point so that can can connect to it's full web UI and keep an eye on temperatures that way.

I suppose I could put the main router in the attic and the mesh node downstairs and be able to monitor the main router's temps, but I'd prefer to keep the older router in the loft.

What's my best bet? If I set up the second AC68 as an AP, can I use the same SSIDs as for the main router?

In my book, a loft is not an attic. A loft is an open upper level. An attic is an enclosed roofing space with poor ventilation and likely to get very hot when the summer temps reach 38c/100f.

If the former loft, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the later attic, I would not put an electronic box there.... too hot and too inaccessible.

As for AiMesh vs AP, I would use the configuration that provides the best network experience for your users. To know this, you will have to try it.

Once that's settled, then decide how to best manage that network including where to best locate the upper node/AP. I would not sequester the router there only to remotely monitor temperature.

I would use separate SSIDs for each band, and you can easily experiment using the same SSID within a band which would be preferred and how AiMesh does it.

OE

Last edited:
In my book, a loft is not an attic. A loft is an open upper level. An attic is an enclosed roofing space with poor ventilation and likely to get very hot when the summer temps reach 38c/100f.

If the former loft, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the later attic, I would not put an electronic box there.... too hot and too inaccessible.

As for AiMesh vs AP, I would use the configuration that provides the best network experience for your users. To know this, you will have to try it.

Once that's settled, then decide how to best manage that network including where to best locate the upper node/AP. I would not sequester the router there only to remotely monitor temperature.

I would use separate SSIDs for each band, and you can easily experiment using the same SSID within a band which would be preferred and how AiMesh does it.

OE
Don't think there's such a distinction between attic and loft here in the UK, but I've edited my OP appropriately - thanks. The attic is quite accessible as it's boarded over, is well lit and there's a loft ladder for access. I also have a gas central heating boiler (that contains electronics) in there for over 10 years now and there have been no issues, in fact many smaller properties have their boiler in the attic.

I've only set up the mesh last weekend so it's early days, but as you say, it's a matter of seeing how it goes...

Don't think there's such a distinction between attic and loft here in the UK, but I've edited my OP appropriately - thanks. The attic is quite accessible as it's boarded over, is well lit and there's a loft ladder for access. I also have a gas central heating boiler (that contains electronics) in there for over 10 years now and there have been no issues, in fact many smaller properties have their boiler in the attic.

I've only set up the mesh last weekend so it's early days, but as you say, it's a matter of seeing how it goes...

That's fine. My distinction was to qualify my response to your post. It sounds like your loft is a living space, so I would not worry about temps since they are likely to only be at worst uncomfortable for people.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!