What's new

RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U: Beta firmware feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Didn't understand. The clients are not able to connect to the router? Or the shares are not visible? The latter has nothing to do with wireless settings.

no not in the context of wireless.. that improvement happened very nicely, my response above.. many thanks siju..

i think the shares are not visible to any client.. windows explorer or dlna.. (earlier it was visible)..

I've had that problem with shares not showing up sometimes. Reboot the router, reboot the clients, mostly everything shows up after that.
I leave it on most of the time so I haven't noticed in a while.

what the hack !!!

NOW ITS SHOWING 450 on 2.4 GHz as well !!! :)

am i happy :)

thanks a million mate !!

okay in that sense can you please look at the 5Ghz settings below:

is that okay?

here is my settings, geared for AC, same as yours I guess.

Attachments

• 5ghz.jpg
    5ghz.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 524
  • 5ghz pro.jpg
    5ghz pro.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 378
i dont have AC clients but i am sure this router should be giving good speed backward compatible also on N..

Merlin 35_4 was giving me 150 mbps and 300 mbps on 5 GHz (Note 2 and Laptop in that order)..

this private beta 433 is giving me 72 mbps and 130 mbps..

how it is giving excellent results on your environment with this beta..

You are getting half the link rate. This is often the sign that your router is set to 20 Mhz instead of 40/80 MHz. Double check your channel width. It should be safe to force it to 80 MHz on the 5 GHz band.

Here are the settings to use. channel use inssider to find least congested channel.

Channel 11 below, seriously hindered my speeds, even though my connection speed went up to 300mb/s, and insider displays 450mb instead of 216.

channel 7 below was a bit better but channel 7 above gives me back my full speeds. well, it seems that if I manually assign channels to 2.0 ad 5.0, the speeds on my laptop are in flux...

so Ill go back to auto and sticking with the 216 mb/s 2.0 connection speed.

Last edited:
Channel 11 below, seriously hindered my speeds, even though my connection speed went up to 300mb/s, and insider displays 450mb instead of 216.

channel 7 below was a bit better but channel 7 above gives me back my full speeds. well, it seems that if I manually assign channels to 2.0 ad 5.0, the speeds on my laptop are in flux...

so Ill go back to auto and sticking with the 216 mb/s 2.0 connection speed.

For me channel 11 gives the best speed, my n devices are blazing fast faster than when on 20mhz. It has to do with other interfering devices. Some of the ones that don't show up on insider. That's why channel has to be selected after a lot of testing. And by flux you mean link rate or transfer speeds? My link rate may move about a bit but transfer speeds are stable. Link rate jumps up usually as soon as a transfer starts.

by flux I mean, if I run speed test, ill get 4mb/s and the run it againa nd get 19, 80, 20, 4 etc. but im back to normal now.

Hi

Unfortunately there is still something wrong with this firmware.

Everything was working fine in the beginning but after almost 2 days the connection speed slows down dramatically and all network activity on the 2.4 Ghz runs extremely slow :-(

Check the following example:

wireless client is connect in 144 Mbps but only gets 250 Kbit/s when trying to connect to a wired machine (connected on the back of the router)

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# uptime
20:00:39 up 1 day, 22:33, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

C:\>netsh wlan show interfaces

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Wireless Network Connection
Description : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11g
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 11
Receive rate (Mbps) : 144
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144
Signal : 80%
Profile : MySSID

C:\iperf-2.0.5-cygwin>iperf.exe -c 192.168.1.102
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.102, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 3] local 192.168.1.148 port 58407 connected with 192.168.1.102 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-12.6 sec 384 KBytes 250 Kbits/sec

Any hints?

Michael

EDIT: After restarting the router then everything works fine for a day or two...

Last edited:
Hi Asusnet, Can you please send me the latest beta firmware for the RT-AC56U (assuming it is ready to send) - I would love to test it. I am currently experiencing very poor 2.4GHz performance (throughput) and am preparing to RMA the product. If beta(new) firmware could solve the probelm, I would love to try it. Thank you.

Having random router lock ups with this beta firmware (433).

Never encountered any freeze with earlier Asus firmware or Merlin's 35_2 and 35_4.

The only way to get .433 to work properly is:
- reset to the factory defaults (clear the NVRAM) - updating the from the latest Merlin resulted in constant internet disconnects and other problems
- change DNS server from default to something else - like Google 8.8.8.8 or something else. The very latest ASUS firmwares seems to have very strange problems - some websites will open, some wont - and changing DNS server helped

On a positive side:
- wifi does seem improved - thank you Asusnet for sharing the firmware
- OpenVPN and Private Internet Access VPN service finally work!!! Note that there are some quirks there - definitely need some polishing

And I do have random disconnects from Internet - turning off WAN and turning it back on does not seem the router to try to redial VDSL connection

Stability wise - need daily reboot to maintain internet connection (sometimes one reboot is not enough)

The only way to get .433 to work properly is:
- change DNS server from default to something else - like Google 8.8.8.8 or something else. The very latest ASUS firmwares seems to have very strange problems - some websites will open, some wont - and changing DNS server helped

That one sounds like it could have been your ISP having DNS issues. I didn't have to do that.

Reasonable, BUT - I never had to do with Merlin or pre-VPN ASUS firmwares...

Well, when an ISP has DNS issues it usually affects a lot of customers. So it's a temporary (and thankfully not that common) issue that they scramble to fix as quickly as possible because everyone starts calling to complain. :p

That said, it could easily have been something else. Maybe somewhere down the line bad DNS values were being cached and changing servers fixed it, so it's not a bad thing to try.

I haven't had DNS issues. Everything has been stable since Saturday when I loaded it. Wifi speeds are nice and fast for me. Great build so far :)

Sorta off topic, will this update come to the AC66U as well?

No because some of the issues are exclusive to these two models, but an update will come later for the RT-AC66U that will likely include some of the more general fixes (sorry, I do not have FW notes on all the fixes right now).

Having random router lock ups with this beta firmware (433).

Never encountered any freeze with earlier Asus firmware or Merlin's 35_2 and 35_4.

Update :
Seems like the problem is related to IGMP Snooping.

1. When I disabled it and apply, the router froze (happens on both bands)
2. With IGMP Snooping disabled, router has been stable so far.

Exact same thing (as above) happened to .371 too so not sure what's going on. I had IGMP Snooping disabled since day 1 but thought I'd enable it seeing others have done so here in this thread (big mistake :eek:)

Will update if it freezes again ... (hope not :eek:)

Update :
Seems like the problem is related to IGMP Snooping.

1. When I disabled it and apply, the router froze (happens on both bands)
2. With IGMP Snooping disabled, router has been stable so far.

Exact same thing (as above) happened to .371 too so not sure what's going on. I had IGMP Snooping disabled since day 1 but thought I'd enable it seeing others have done so here in this thread (big mistake :eek:)

Will update if it freezes again ... (hope not :eek:)

I have been running stable on both beta versions with no lock ups. Have always had igmp snooping enabled.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!