What's new

RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7.2 can't access login since firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm still puzzled by this. Was it a browser problem then? It doesn't make sense to me that the problem was the operating system of the client.
I don't understand it either... but then Windows always has thrown up issues from time to time that I don't understand... and networking issues quite regularly among those...! ;-)

I've now changed settings in Local Access Config to allow both https and http access.
I also generated a new security certificate as the one installed referred to 192.168.1.1

As neither HTTP nor HTTPS LAN Ports are 443, does that indicate there wasn't a clash with the AiCloud Web Access Port when it was set to 443..?
As I said before, I'm not using AiCloud but if I did want to, should I set it back to using port 443..? Is 993 (which is what I changed it to) valid..? I'm not inclined to change it if I don't need to...

Local Access Config.jpg

Firefox didn't like it though:
Scrnshot_Firefox_SecurityRisk.jpg

Scrnshot_Firefox_SecurityRisk2.jpg

Accepting Risk gets access, and after that access with https://192.168.0.39:8443 works no problem, at least within the same Firefox session; omitting the port number results in connection error.
Thought I'd update with that detail in case useful to others.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have exactly the same problem.
In Router mode I have access in version 386.7.2, as soon as you bring the RT68u in AP mode no access anymore.
Unfortunately I can not confirm the procedure about installing Linux (FossaPupx64) on a USB flash drive, run PaleMoon browser, access remains denied.
Seems a coincidence, I can repeat it x times without access.
I guess it will come down to a reinstall to 386.4.2 and then it should work cleanly again. I hope so.

Well, I found out a couple of days ago that I'm locked out of the Admin screen again... and this time booting into Linux hasn't worked.
But also, this time, I haven't reset the router as everything seems to be working as it is: the USB drive is still connected and I CAN access folders and files on that through File Explorer in Windows. A batch file to copy a few files over to it still works, too, and the Wireless networks from the RT-AC68U as Access Point are still ok, so I'm just leaving it for now.
I can't figure out what's going on... thought it might be a Windows issue but apparently not.
Ian

I upgraded from 384.0 and the same thing happened, no GUI fro either URL. No http/https settings were changed before the upgrade.

A factory reset was needed to wake the GUI back up.

Today I've posted the same issue after flashing 388.1 on my RT- AX86U. This is the first time this issue has ever happened to me.
:(

I am doing default router and it is running DHCP. The problem is persisting, even after I rolled back to the previous firmware, and it happens after the configuration file is uploaded.

I am doing default router and it is running DHCP. The problem is persisting, even after I rolled back to the previous firmware, and it happens after the configuration file is uploaded.
Does the problem happen before you upload the configuration file? If not then the problem is with your configuration file. You'll have to reconfigure the router from scratch without using the configuration file.

Other suggestions (if you haven't tried them already).
  • Do a hard factory reset on the router.
  • Use a computer wired to the router's networking port (not WAN port) via Ethernet and configure that computer for a static IP address in the IP address range used by the default settings of the router. For example if using a RT-AC68U: 192.168.1.7 / 255.255.255.0, if using an RT-AX86U then try: 192.168.50.7 / 255.255.255.0.
  • Do not have any USB hard drives/flash drives attached to the router when performing a firmware update or a hard factory reset or when doing the initial router configuration.
  • Avoid using configuration files from different firmware versions to restore the settings. If moving from one firmware version to a new one, reconfigure the router from scratch.
  • The router GUI can be reached by it's IP address if the default name doesn't work. For RT-AC68U try: 192.168.1.1, for RT-AX86U try: 192.168.50.1.

Last edited:
Does the problem happen before you upload the configuration file? If not then the problem is with your configuration file. You'll have to reconfigure the router from scratch without using the configuration file.

Other suggestions (if you haven't tried them already).
  • Do a hard factory reset on the router.
  • Use a computer wired to the router's networking port (not WAN port) via Ethernet and configure that computer for a static IP address in the IP address range used by the default settings of the router. For example if using a RT-AC68U: 192.168.1.7 / 255.255.255.0, if using an RT-AX86U then try: 192.168.50.7 / 255.255.255.0.
  • Do not have any USB hard drives/flash drives attached to the router when performing a firmware update or a hard factory reset or when doing the initial router configuration.
  • Avoid using configuration files from different firmware versions to restore the settings. If moving from one firmware version to a new one, reconfigure the router from scratch.
  • The router GUI can be reached by it's IP address if the default name doesn't work. For RT-AC68U try: 192.168.1.1, for RT-AX86U try: 192.168.50.1.
Thank you so much.
The problem does not happen before uploading the configuration file.
I did everything that you mentioned above, besides re-configuring from scratch. I will do that.
Thank you once again!

Do set up the network/router from scratch. Don't change multiple settings all at once. Take good notes of when/how any changes were made.

Do not toggle options/features on/off. For certain settings, that is not equivalent to keeping the setting off (or at default).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!