What's new

RT-AC68U - cant connect to admin page on 192.168.1.1 all the time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kishork

Regular Contributor
i am on latest 4887

it is like now i am able to connect to admin page on 192.168.1.1 and there it goes, now i cant connect to it.. and then all the way i have to reboot the router.. this really gets crazy.. whats going wrong?

What A/V do you run? What browser are you using?

Both of these affect this issue. With certain A/V you need to allow 192.168.1.1 and with certain browsers you need to clear their cache properly between sessions.

What A/V do you run? What browser are you using?

Both of these affect this issue. With certain A/V you need to allow 192.168.1.1 and with certain browsers you need to clear their cache properly between sessions.

From Android, chrome, IE.. From mobile and desktop and laptop. .

So does not seem to be browser or av related. .

Upgrade was done with proper reset. .

I am still not able to connect to 192.168.1.1 after the last when I was able to connect and then it stopped as mentioned in my original post above. .sure I can switch off and on router but I am tired of doing it. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
does the router respond to ping ?

yes if that means this command on cmd "ping 192.1681.1"

i get below:

ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 29 21.23.jpg

what is happening is that if i go to 192.168.1.1 it kind of goes in infinite wait.. below minimized version of the browser will help you to know what i mean:

ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 29 21.28.jpg

the "waiting for 192.168.1.1" never goes and nothing comes on the browser.. same from Android browser.. will work if i switch the router off and on.. and then after 5-10 minutes the same thing.. this was not happening prior to 4887..

Last edited:
Are you using Download Master? If so, you might be overloading your router by having too many inbound connections to the torrent client.

Are you using Download Master? If so, you might be overloading your router by having too many inbound connections to the torrent client.

yes i am using download master.. but that was being used similarly prior to 4887 as well and i did not face this difficulty earlier prior to 4887.. then whats with this 4887 in particular.. and now as i am not able to go to any of the 192.168.1.1:nnnn what do i do?

Last edited:
while it's down, if you can use ssh or scp (winscp, etc), you could try getting to /tmp/syslog.log and dumping the relevant information here or via pastebin.com provided the Download thingy isn't the culprit.

I think that is what is causing mine to not connect to the router. I had a torrent running and I couldn't connect to the web UI. When I disconnect the external hard drive, it hasn't lock up yet.

If that is the case, what is the point to have a torrent client if it locks up the router. Or is it a bug? I guess I will use a torrent client on my PC instead on the router.

while it's down, if you can use ssh or scp (winscp, etc), you could try getting to /tmp/syslog.log and dumping the relevant information here or via pastebin.com provided the Download thingy isn't the culprit.

i would wish to give you this data if that can be useful for any analysis and if some error gets detected in 4887 which could be repaired..

"if you can use ssh or scp".. exactly what do i do for this? i dont think i have enabled telnet on the router admin..

i would wish to give you this data if that can be useful for any analysis and if some error gets detected in 4887 which could be repaired..

"if you can use ssh or scp".. exactly what do i do for this? i dont think i have enabled telnet on the router admin..

damn, sorry, forgot that stock means no SSH. good luck.

How do I solve this problem? I want to use the download manager feature that this router has. .

This same thing happens to me.
But when I use Time Machine. I bought this router this week. I'm trying to use the Time Machine backup on my mac but Its impossible. I tried with cable and wifi. I leave it syncing overnight but in the morning my mac says it lost connection with the disk, so when I try to access the admin page to see what happened It doesn't enter. I wait and wait and wait and never enters. Internet in all my devices still works. To enter to the admin page again I need to turn off and on the router.

I didn't try to use bit torrent yet, but is one of the reasons I bought this one and no a Time Capsule.

What can I do?

PS: I tried with the lastest stable fw from asus, the latest beta one, and the latest Merlin build. Same result (the beta from asus is even more unstable)

I think that is what is causing mine to not connect to the router. I had a torrent running and I couldn't connect to the web UI. When I disconnect the external hard drive, it hasn't lock up yet.

If that is the case, what is the point to have a torrent client if it locks up the router. Or is it a bug? I guess I will use a torrent client on my PC instead on the router.

Your router only has 256 MB of RAM, and a low speed CPU. You have to ensure you don't torrent large, highly popular files without first adjusting your number of concurrent settings, or you will overload the router. The device is primarily a router, it does not have the horsepower to share Blu-ray rips to 200+ concurrent peers.

Stock has Telnet.

I'm retarded.

@OP; you should login to the router via telnet and copy /tmp/syslog.log to an external drive, etc. for the sake of simplicity via something like;

Code:
cp /tmp/syslog.log /mnt/sda1

this may tell us and you more about what's going on if you could dump it here (or via pastebin.com)

sorry, completely forgot that telnet is useful

Apologies I could not do these tests as needed to get few things done. . Downgraded to 4561 and it is working now. .

No problem with admin page ui and download manager ui with 4561.. loads faster and quicker as one would expect on Android, desktop, laptop compared to 4887 where it would not load on any of these after some time in my case. . Same setup as 4887 but no unresponsive ui issues on 4561 which was faced with 4887..

Similar experience

I have been experiencing similar behavior as the OP, when the web server side fails to respond. The router continues to route network and internet traffic, but I am unable to get to the web interface. It is especially bad when I have torrents on the download master page, or using large file copies to the attached drive. The only recovery I have found is to restart the router with the power button. I have tried to Telnet in and get a prompt for credentials, but then it never responds after I enter them. I haven't tried SSH yet, although I'll give it a try the next time I experience it, although I have pulled all the torrents off of DM as a workaround.

RT-AC68U
Merlin Build Alpha 4
Attached Western Digital Passport 2TB USB3

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!