What's new

RT-AC68U DLNA problems (not seeing device/disconnecting)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then your issue isn't with DLNA itslef since it's the exact same DLNA server on both routers.

Today I just switched the TV from WiFi to Cable...works perfectly, no more disconnects.

Now I conclude that the problem ia caused by WiFi not DLNA.

A few weeks ago after people complained about DLNA not working, I streamed a 2 hours movie over DLNA to my Nexus 7. It never disconnected.

I never experience disconnects, but only the DLNA server not being visible by any device, when it was visible it worked fine. Anyway, I haven't experienced the DLNA "invisibility" yet in your latest firmware, so far so good ;)

I never experience disconnects, but only the DLNA server not being visible by any device, when it was visible it worked fine. Anyway, I haven't experienced the DLNA "invisibility" yet in your latest firmware, so far so good ;)

I wonder if something might causing it to crash in your case.

Next time it disappears, go to the Tools -> Run Cmd page of the router, and run the following:

Code:
ps | grep minidlna

See if you can still see the daemon running (ignore the two "grep" lines it will return, there should be a third one that shows minidlna with its arguments).

RMerlin I just tested the problem it's 100% because of the WiFi.

Tested:
-TV on WiFi network <- after 20 minutes disconnect
-TV on Cable <- no disconnect

So to be sure about this I watched a movie on WiFi and after about 20-30 minutes I got disconnected and the DLNA server was invisible. Turned off the TV, switched the TV to Cable, turned on the tv, same movie, watched it to the end (no disconnect).

Can you fix it? Or can I help you find where is the problem?

Seen this problem on other users on XBox.

RMerlin I just tested the problem it's 100% because of the WiFi.

Tested:
-TV on WiFi network <- after 20 minutes disconnect
-TV on Cable <- no disconnect

So to be sure about this I watched a movie on WiFi and after about 20-30 minutes I got disconnected and the DLNA server was invisible. Turned off the TV, switched the TV to Cable, turned on the tv, same movie, watched it to the end (no disconnect).

Can you fix it? Or can I help you find where is the problem?

Seen this problem on other users on XBox.

I have zero control over the wireless driver, it's closed-source.

Try the usual troubleshooting steps: checking which channel is least used and configure that channel, doing a factory default + manual configuration of the router if you haven't done so after the latest firmware update, etc...

I have zero control over the wireless driver, it's closed-source.

Try the usual troubleshooting steps: checking which channel is least used and configure that channel, doing a factory default + manual configuration of the router if you haven't done so after the latest firmware update, etc...

More testing done last night, I installed my old router (the RT-AC66U), latest merlin firmware (.39), turned on DLNA server, connected the TV to the RT-AC66U and I was able to see a movie with no disconnect.

Closed the tv, changed the RT-AC66U with the RT-AC68U, same firmware, same settings, same tv, same movie...after 20-30 minutes disconnect...

On cable both work grate!...but I wished to work with WiFi cause I already have to meny cables around the TV. :confused:

More testing done last night, I installed my old router (the RT-AC66U), latest merlin firmware (.39), turned on DLNA server, connected the TV to the RT-AC66U and I was able to see a movie with no disconnect.

Closed the tv, changed the RT-AC66U with the RT-AC68U, same firmware, same settings, same tv, same movie...after 20-30 minutes disconnect...

On cable both work grate!...but I wished to work with WiFi cause I already have to meny cables around the TV. :confused:

I suspect that the wireless cards are overloaded with TX power, when i got my RT-68U i thought that the coverage was just AMAZING as it covered an area that i used to cover with two routers before!! However when i once overloaded the router with downloads and wireless traffic, it dropped the signal.

What i did was change the TX Power and scale it down from 100% to 50% and this brought the coverage back to expected level and am not loosing the signal anymore.

Tail the output logs and see if you can find something.

I had a similar issue with my Chromecast and my Samsung TV using DLNA. What I noticed was my channel was set to AUTO and when it changed channels it resulted in a disconnect. Setting it to a static value fixed the issue.

I rarely ever use 2.4G so i never noticed my devices were always connecting to 2.4G and not 5G which I modify the advanced values.

Have you modified any of the advanced settings?

I was having the same problem.
I have noticed that my wireless mode was on AUTO.
Changing it off AUTO seems to have solved the problem for me as "ngerasimatos" had mentioned.

I was having the same problem.
I have noticed that my wireless mode was on AUTO.
Changing it off AUTO seems to have solved the problem for me as "ngerasimatos" had mentioned.
I can confirm either, turn off AUTO = normal stream.

Rmerlin, it cant get more nerve wrecking than this. Same problem with TV not able to see hard drive through DLNA. But Samsung TV can see my buffalo NAS over wifi connection. Router running the latest firmware. Is there a workaround? i dont want to run cables.

I also get the same intermittent problem, AC68, Merlins 380.62, Sony and Samsung TV connected to 5GHZ, serviio server app on my pc (windows vista, ethernet to router). I used to have the exact same set up with my N66, no problems. I did a factory reset on my AC68 then reconfigured all settings manually, the DLNA problem is 90% better but still disappears sometimes from my TV "source".
I also use an android app called Bubble UPNP, i pick the render device (TV), select serviio,movie folder, movie title, hit play, sometimes though the android device doesn't see the serviio server on my pc, BUT, during this state of "no connection" i can copy and paste files from my pc to phone and vice versa, so my phone can see the pc, all devices are connected to each other.
All this is while wireless.
I've tried different server apps on my pc, same result.
I have tried the tv's connected via mains network plugs, so in effect they are then wired, during this period serviio was always visible on my tv source, unfortunately there was a bit of buffering, wireless on the AC68 is much faster.

Paul.

The same problem here, RT-N18U, Samsung Smart TV, wifi or cable connection, random disconnects.

Still looking for a solution, also waiting for a response from ASUS support.

The same problem here, RT-N18U, Samsung Smart TV, wifi or cable connection, random disconnects.

Still looking for a solution, also waiting for a response from ASUS support.

I am having the very same problem. Everything worked fine for a while but in the last two months DLNA playback stopped after 10-15 mins after that I no longer see the device through my Samsung Smart TV. If I wait little s the device re-appear but then same results. I suspected that there is an issue with the Asus FW, so I followed Merlin' minidlna guide, formatted the USB disk with ext4, added swap and all that but nothing changed. I have another TV connected via Wifi and DLNA works fine there so at that point it must be an issue with the Samsung TV (connected via cable). The FW released 28.12.2016 so I am waiting for a newer one as it seems i cannot downgrade... Very annoying.

Last edited:
I replaced the official firmware with the HGG one and it started working as it should from the first moment.

Well, it's working fine since then, so I guess it's a software problem. For me it was fixed, anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!