What's new

News RT-AC68U End of Life Announced by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone care to speculate when the AX series will likely EOL since BE models will be the future?

Its not so much the wifi capability as it is the hardware platform. As already mentioned, a few AX models with the older hardware are part of the EOL announcement.

Anyone care to speculate when the AX series will likely EOL since BE models will be the future?

When (quality) BE models can be made (and sold) for the same or less than current AX models.

My prediction is that this will begin around the middle of 2026.

But by then, a new standard will have arrived/been hinted at.

Based on hardware used and software support:

GT and Pro models compatible with 3.0.0.6 firmware have the best chances for survival - 3.0.0.6 firmware is what BE series use as well.

Budget models and older hardware limited to 3.0.0.4 firmware will be discontinued first - some for marketing, others for supply chain reasons.

What about the RT-AX86U Pro currently on 3.0.0.4?

This one is waiting for 3.0.0.6 firmware, it's good. I would say the starting point model if AX-class router is purchased today.

When (quality) BE models can be made (and sold) for the same or less than current AX models.
They can manufacture a quality BE router for under $200 even today. There is no need for 4x4 stream router. A simple 2x2 router with max 5.8Gbps is more than enough. Why? There are no frikking 3x3 or 4x4 clients. I don't believe there were 3x3 or 4x4 Wifi5/6/6e clients either so far. These evil companies just waste resources and manufacture bullcrap which 99.99% of customers won't be able to take advantage off even if they wished to... just because such speeds will not be supported on clients. (Power issues, battery life, etc, etc)

Why they won't release 2x2 BE router with one 10G Wan port and one 10G LAN port? Because who will pay for their ridiculously overpriced $800 routers?

Asus is a truly pathetic company. I hope some Asus exec reads my comment. They have so many models that they can't even release firmware updates to their high end routers. GT-AX6000 hasn't received official firmware since 9-10 months. That's some TP-Link level of incompetence.

I still have RT-AC68U in one of my office rooms. It will stay there.

They can manufacture a quality BE router for under $200 even today. There is no need for 4x4 stream router. A simple 2x2 router with max 5.8Gbps is more than enough. Why? There are no frikking 3x3 or 4x4 clients. I don't believe there were 3x3 or 4x4 Wifi5/6/6e clients either so far. These evil companies just waste resources and manufacture bullcrap which 99.99% of customers won't be able to take advantage off even if they wished to... just because such speeds will not be supported on clients. (Power issues, battery life, etc, etc)
Multiple streams isn't just useful for a single client, it's also useful when you have multiple clients doing simultaneous transfers, and it can also help with better coverage by increasing signal diversity.

Why they won't release 2x2 BE router with one 10G Wan port and one 10G LAN port? Because who will pay for their ridiculously overpriced $800 routers?
Because Broadcom and Qualcomm don't manufacture a chip that offers what you ask for.

Ultimately, router manufacturers are limited by what the SoC manufacturers put to market. All they do is take those chips, design a board that puts them together, develop the software stack that sits on top of it, and sell the product.

@d5aqoep, of course, they can. But they don't 'need' to right now (they have the AC/AX/AXE stock to get rid of first).

it's also useful when you have multiple clients doing simultaneous transfers

This wasn't giving us much on a single band. Potential improvements when measured with special test equipment in close to ideal conditions and multiple requirements met. I'm interested to see how it's going to work with clients using multiple bands in the mix. Realistic expectations - one of the two won't be supported on budget models and usual false advertisement will continue in full force with Wi-Fi 7 numbers and features copy/paste from specs.

You can say that, bought the thing in June 2022.
But now, what is the best replacement that is not out of service next year?

As someone in the same boat, this news just cements my move toward putting Asus on my personal EOL list.

My AC model was great, and supported for a long time, but can't say the same for my AX, in any respect.

Also note the gimped AX86S is suspiciously absent from the list. Add insult to injury?

Also note the gimped AX86S is suspiciously absent from the list. Add insult to injury?

This router will be supported as long as RT-AX86U is supported. It runs the same firmware.

As someone in the same boat, this news just cements my move toward putting Asus on my personal EOL list.

My AC model was great, and supported for a long time, but can't say the same for my AX, in any respect.

RT-AC68U supported for 10+ years.
RT-AX88U supported for 9 years.
RT-AC86U supported for 7 years.

Is there any other wifi router manufacturer that supported 3 routers simultaneously for this long?

Of course no company is perfect. The RT-AX68U was supported for only 3 years. The GT-AC5300 never got much love. The RT-AC86U apparently has a high failure rate. People say the GT-AX600 is ugly or a behemoth or something like that. ASUS customer service is lackluster. So not perfect, but who is better?

What brand are you switching to? Linksys? Netgear? TP-Link? Synology? UniFi? Google? Eero?

Support duration isn't just dictated by the manufacturer of the router, the provider of the SoC also has its say, as they may themselves stop software SDK support. For instance, Broadcom moved the BCM6755 to their own End of Life list a few years ago, not that long after it was launched. Asus had then to release a number of new devices based on the BCM6756, its replacement.

Now to see how long software updates are going to be available ...

There is no way. I personally may have some predictions based on hardware used. Newer version hardware and popular model - longer support. Older version hardware and odd model - shorter support. Product with very long firmware delays - software issues, shorter support. I expect to see ROG Strix AX3000/AX5400 next on EoL list.

There is no way. I personally may have some predictions based on hardware used. Newer version hardware and popular model - longer support. Older version hardware and odd model - shorter support. Product with very long firmware delays - software issues, shorter support. I expect to see ROG Strix AX3000/AX5400 next on EoL list.
Sorry, I'm trying to make sense of your response: there's 'no way' to predict? Or no way there will be more software updates?

No way to predict. Asus may discontinue any model with no warning. In RT-AX68U case I was expecting shorter life span based on what's inside, availability, how many products were released in this configuration, are they still alive and what's the history of issues and support delays. This model had all the warning signs present. ⚠️

I also will leave Asus

When i bought the AX68, with the little knowledge that I had I thought that AX was newer then AC in the name, and the release was not many years before the purchase.
Having read now more about it I see that processors / sdk's and what else more is better for choices to make.
So now I take the time looking for openwrt / pfsense and others in that direction.

I just like the way I can use the vpn director in merlin but pfsense/wrt software probably will have a sort of the same director.
But the i gain the possibility for vlan which is missing in Asus.

A router based on a processor (n100 ?) from intel, more reliable then Broadcom and co.

A router based on a processor (n100 ?) from intel

You also need a switch, access points and knowledge how to make everything work together. Nothing can beat home AIO home router in terms of user friendliness. The hardware is coupled together already and the options in software do multiple operations automatically. All this you have to do manually with understanding how it works.

Definitely the better option, but not for everyone.

People say the GT-AX600 is ugly or a behemoth or something like that.

If that is the only criticism of the GT-AX6000, then I call it a winner! Note that I have one and it works very well.