1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U firmware update failure

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by CasparTheGhost, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CasparTheGhost

CasparTheGhost New Around Here

I'm am trying to update the firmware on my RT-AC68U. It is currently Merlin build 3.0.0.4.374.39. Initially my goal was to try and return it to the latest non-Merlin ASUS stock firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45717 (which are far as I can tell can be done.)
    • I reset the router and tried to updated it, but it fails.
    • I put it into Rescue Mode and tried, but it fails.
    • I tried to instead update to the latest Merlin build RT-AC68U_384.12_0, thinking I could make sure the latest build was on there before I tried to convert over to the stock firmware. But it fails.
    I've tried to do this through the web interface and the Firmware Restoration Utility. Thru the web interface, it looks like it is done with the update, being returned to the start page, but I look at the build number and it isn't changed. Thru the restoration utility, it gets to about 64% and then fails.

My goal once I've returned the firmware to the ASUS version is to try to set up AiMesh. I'm hoping for some guidance here.

2. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Try upgrading to Merlin 378.50 first, then reset then try another upgrade to a newer version.

3. CasparTheGhost

CasparTheGhost New Around Here

Over at SourceForge, the earliest build I can find is 378.55. Will that work, or do I really need to go back to .50?

4. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Give it a go! :)

5. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Senior Member

You coming from an old version , the CFE need to be upgrade for the partition size or something like that :oops: . 2 firmwares can do that , 378.55 or 376.3626 from asus

L&LD likes this.