What's new

Release RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43129

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My Syslog has been quiet for a day since doing a WPS reset on upgrade and node.

After the firmware update via the GUI didn't work (went through the motions but version stayed the same), I did a manual update by downloading the firmware from the website and used the upload button in the GUI which was successful.
Asus really needs to the address this issue. Firmware seems stable so far.

Re: Asus really needs to the address this issue. Firmware seems stable so far.

I'm experiencing the opposite.

I used the GUI to update a two RT-AC68U AiMesh network from 41634 to 43129. It only required two clicks, Check and Upgrade, and it only took a few minutes to complete. However I am now having issues roaming between the two routers with my iOS devices.

A few months ago, I reinstalled 41634 from scratch due to connection issues, and I was hoping that a single upgrade from this fresh configuration to work.

Hopefully the past issues have not returned. I will see what happens when we "return" to work tomorrow...

So my first post so hello everyone. :)
After updating to this version, as someone mentioned, I also couldn't set up my DNS server (Pi-hole). I think the problem is that the server is inside the network because the external DNS servers were working. I did not check Pi-hole off-grid.
Due to problems, I downloaded the FW_RT_AC68U_300438641634 versions from the Asus website and now everything works as it should. Additionally, this old version reminded me that I had RT-AC68U was fast and responsive. The new versions are way too heavy for this router.

After updating to this version, as someone mentioned, I also couldn't set up my DNS server (Pi-hole). I think the problem is that the server is inside the network because the external DNS servers were working. I did not check Pi-hole off-grid.
Due to problems, I downloaded the FW_RT_AC68U_300438641634 versions from the Asus website and now everything works as it should. Additionally, this old version reminded me that I had RT-AC68U was fast and responsive. The new versions are way too heavy for this router.
Regarding pihole setup (assuming you are using it on the WAN settings page): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-ac86u-firmware-3-0-0-4-386_42643.72178/page-4#post-687428

What do you mean by "The new versions are way too heavy for this router."? Thx.

The place to put the Pi-Hole IP address is on LAN/DHCP Server/DNS Server. Not in WAN/DNS Server 1 or 2. The router needs to be able to connect with a DNS server on boot to set the time so it will work correctly.

Regarding pihole setup (assuming you are using it on the WAN settings page): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-ac86u-firmware-3-0-0-4-386_42643.72178/page-4#post-687428

What do you mean by "The new versions are way too heavy for this router."? Thx.
I have always set up Pi-hole in Lan / DHCP. However, as for "too heavy", I meant the Router GUI loading speed and the router's response time when I clicked something in the menu. As for the operation of the network itself, nothing caught my attention (apart from the previously mentioned DNS problem).

Anyone else notice DHCP IP addresses are assigned in the 192.168.101.x range now, despite what you set in DHCP server?

On my router it seems normal for the Guest accounts be assigned 192.168.101.x.
You're right, only guest DHCP clients. Must be a recent change, because I use a different class of IP addresses (Class B, not Class C) and the other DHCP clients are correctly assigned that range, and previously, guest DHCP clients would get an IP from the range I specified in DHCP server. Guess there's no way to manually configure the guest DHCP IP range?

Anyone know if they fixed the custom DNS yet? (LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list)
Custom DNS server entries via the DHCP server appears to be working for me. I upgraded from an older build so I guess I didn't notice any issue before or after. I point specific clients to a Pihole (separate host) and that is still receiving traffic.

You're right, only guest DHCP clients. Must be a recent change, because I use a different class of IP addresses (Class B, not Class C) and the other DHCP clients are correctly assigned that range, and previously, guest DHCP clients would get an IP from the range I specified in DHCP server. Guess there's no way to manually configure the guest DHCP IP range?
Not really recent. Has been that way since the 386 code was released.

I had an issue with this FW - Internet status was shown as "disconnected" - although Internet connection was available all the time. Also NTP sync with my local NTP server failed all the time.
I downgraded to previous release and all is working.

(Date was set to 5.5.2018 07:05:00)

Mesh seems to reset every 10 days with this firmware.

I finally got around to upgrading using the Web GUI on the primary router. I have a setup with a 68U as my primary, and 3 additional 68U mesh notes. The primary and 2 of 3 nodes updated the first try. The final node updated the second try. It appears the Adaptive QoS (manual bandwidth setting) no longer works. ASUS seems to break it every other major release. You can see the difference when measuring buffer bloat (well, with the latest firmware there is no difference on or off). Not worth the hassle of trying to revert my 4 devices, however...

This firmware slow down by download speed to half. I used to get 450mbps download and after this firmware, i get 200mbps download with all the parameters being the same.